Vanderbilt vs Hopkins (WL) vs Sinai (WL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secure-delay-1314

Reaction score
I know I just have waitlist offers at Hopkins and Sinai but if they turn around to A’s, I want to be prepared and have all the info! Here is my pro/con list. I also have super rich parents (but will still be financing my own education) and didn’t receive any financial aid (and most definitely will not) or scholarships so I’m just taking the L on that. I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on these schools.

Vanderbilt (A)
PRO
-SLW was amazing, the students were super nice and everyone seemed so happy
-One year preclinical gets everything boring out of the way fast
-Immersion phase: 8 months off in 2 years is WILD esp bc I want to do a WHO internship or something like that which requires flexibility
-MPH program is pretty strong (??)
-The campus is beautiful and seems pretty safe
-Nashville is pretty fun
-Fewer exams

CON
-Prestige (??): I really want to go into global health and possibly work for the WHO and I’m not quite sure how well the Vanderbilt name carries itself
-No ski resorts anywhere near (I’m from Utah, no clue how to survive without skiing in the winter)
-No retakes on exams and they’re days long and have essays and a bunch of other crap that seems stressful

Hopkins (WL)
PRO
-John’s Hopkins is the biggest name in medicine
-MPH program is also probably the strongest
-P/F including clerkships
-Exams are just MC and short
-Get anatomy out of the way at the very beginning (cadavers scare the crap out of me so better to only have to worry about that for the first 8 weeks)
-Strong residency matches (I really want to live in NYC and many students go there)
-Connections to the global health world are arguably the best
-Services a diverse patient population

CON
-Baltimore scares the living daylight out of me
-1.5 years preclinical instead of one year at Vandy

Sinai (WL)
PRO
-In such a beautiful part of NYC
-Literally a block away from Blair Waldorf’s apartment (😝)
-MPH program seems somewhat strong (??)
-Housing is really subsidized and close to campus
-Students seem happy and there isn’t that much competition
-Cheap and easy flights from SLC
-Could possibly ski
-Definitely want to do residency in NYC so could stay here for residency
-Serves a super diverse population and lots of social justice work

CON
-The curriculum confuses me but there doesn’t seem to be as much time to do what you want to do
-Not connected to a university and don’t get that college student vibe
-The name only carries within the medical world
-Not sure whether it’s as prestigious as Vanderbilt (??)- Prestige matters if you want to make it in public health leadership

If there are any current Sinai students that have more info I’d love to chat <3

Members don't see this ad.

If you get off the WL at Hopkins, I think it's going to be hard to turn that down over Vandy because it seems you clearly value the prestige and the doors it may open for you. Especially without any financial aid differences, seems like you would appreciate everything Hopkins has to offer for you more. Best of Luck and congratulations on your choices!

Reactions: 1 user
If you get off the WL at Hopkins, I think it's going to be hard to turn that down over Vandy because it seems you clearly value the prestige and the doors it may open for you. Especially without any financial aid differences, seems like you would appreciate everything Hopkins has to offer for you more. Best of Luck and congratulations on your choices!
+1 Hopkins seems like a great fit for you if can get off the WL

Reactions: 1 user
Disclaimer: On the WL for Sinai

Based on your list and career aspirations, Hopkins is the clear winner in my opinion. Between Vandy and Sinai, it's tough but I'm ultimately going to go with Vandy due to the shorter pre-clinicals and immersion phase because I think that fits well with your career aspirations and trying to get involved with public health as well.