vanco prophylaxis question for you surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psurocks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so im a pharmacist in training and I have a question bout orthapedes....obviously I know zilch about surgery, however I do know the drugs (duh!)....so heres the question, isnt the current standard of practice to give pt Ancef prophylatically and only give vanco if there is a allergy? We have a orthapedist who gives everyone vanco, and this doesnt seem right.

I was at a meeting, and the MD there said that give Ancef, but one *could* get away with giving Vanco if pt + for MRSA nasal swab, which I guess Im ok with

what are your guys thoughts and what do some of you use?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The standard orthopaedic prophylaxis at my hospital is Ancef (Kefzol), for a total of 3 doses. If you are allergic you get Clindamycin or Vanco depending on the surgeon's preference. Or you get Vanco if there is an indication like MRSA infection.

For the OP, what's the percentage of staph cultures in your hospital that are MRSA?

Members don't see this ad :)
our mrsa rates are below the avg (which is good)

and from my understanding, non MRSA staph is better taken care of from ancef anyways

in other words, i guess all im asking is tat if there is no allergy, is there any proven reason to prophylax with vanco and not ancef

our mrsa rates are below the avg (which is good)

and from my understanding, non MRSA staph is better taken care of from ancef anyways

in other words, i guess all im asking is tat if there is no allergy, is there any proven reason to prophylax with vanco and not ancef

I agree. In the absence of dramatic MRSA rates or allergy, the use of Vanc as a first-line agent is unnecessary and outside published guidelines on surgical antibiotic prophylaxis.