Vacation conferences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonnaBeADoc2222

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a conference at a location I'm entertaining going to. I have no desire to go to the conference, but would like to capitalize on cme funding and tax write offs. Would register and check for conference and maybe go to a few lectures, but really have no desire. Anyone ever do this?

Members don't see this ad.

There is a conference at a location I'm entertaining going to. I have no desire to go to the conference, but would like to capitalize on cme funding and tax write offs. Would register and check for conference and maybe go to a few lectures, but really have no desire. Anyone ever do this?
Yes, last January. Mayo in Hawaii. Went to 2 30 minute lectures per day, out by 8am every day.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All you really need is the certificate at the end saying you attended or the initial receipt. Even then, I've never had one of these audited by the IRS. As long as the dates reasonably match up with your vacation and you aren't writing off something egregious, it should be fine. The most I've written off is hotel, food and flights.

gutonc might be speaking from personal experience...

Don't try to deduct (or get CME reimbursement for) the hookers and blow and you'll be fine.

"practitioner liaison and recruiting"

Works every time...not that I would know.

Don't try to deduct (or get CME reimbursement for) the hookers and blow and you'll be fine.

What if the hooker is educating you about the new ER therapies in lower GI bleeding?

You can study the effect of cocaine and acute tachycardia and hypertension too. That might be helpful next time you are in the ED

The IRS would ask

"Dr.....was the hooker clothed or naked when she was educating you about new ER therapies for lower GI bleeding?"

:nono:

I mean, ACEP has a conference at Disneyland next week. And there's discounted tickets and hotels.
Last year it was at Disney World.