VA-MD Housing HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike263

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm going to va-md for my clinical year and am currently looking at housing. I would prefer a place that is quiet (I Realllly would prefer something away from the "undergrad" area).
I tried reading different reviews about Terrace View, Windsor Hills, Foxridge, Cedarfield, etc. however, all of them have some sort of problem such as noise, partying, can hear neighbors easily, etc.
Has anyone have any experience with any place for va-md and can recommend something that isn't EXTREMELY expensive? or recommend a couple of places? I am going to go down there to "look" at them, but all that will tell me is the quality of the apartment, not the atmosphere of the area.

Thanks,
Mike

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

The graduate areas of Foxridge are quieter, but they are way too expensive for my liking (I lived there for 3 years and was paying an arm and a leg - 600$ for a one bedroom!). I can't speak to the others. Stonegate apartments I *believe* are on the quieter side, and they have a pretty good pet policy.

Look in Christiansburg! It would be an extra 5 or 10 minutes on your drive to work, but it is very quiet and VERY cheap out there. Everyone I know who lives/rents in Christiansburg likes it because of that.

You can also try craigslist to see if anyone is renting out a room in a house - the small ones down Glade Rd are in general very quiet, and close to school.

i tried searching for apartments online that are in Christiansburg, however I am not having much luck. Do you know of any specific names of the complexes that are there?

Members don't see this ad :)
I live at Cedarfield and I'm dying to get out due to the noise!!

I would also recommend looking at Windsor Hills. They have a graduate area I believe. They're a little off the beaten path, but still less than 10 minutes to school, have a great pet policy.

Also I have to agree that the graduate area of Foxridge is great. I have several friends that live there and they rave about how quiet it is!

Craigslist seems to be a good place to look as well. Several peace have had success off of that.

Good luck!

I live at Cedarfield and I'm dying to get out due to the noise!!

I would also recommend looking at Windsor Hills. They have a graduate area I believe. They're a little off the beaten path, but still less than 10 minutes to school, have a great pet policy.

Also I have to agree that the graduate area of Foxridge is great. I have several friends that live there and they rave about how quiet it is!

Craigslist seems to be a good place to look as well. Several peace have had success off of that.

Good luck!

thanks for that information. I am currently looking at the foxridge, windsor, and the properties that CMG owns (cedarfield was one of them that they own).
Few questions though:
I found an apartment rating site and a lot of the members were saying foxridge was actually a very noisy area (this included the grad area). You mention that you have several friends that live there, have they had any problems? do they live in the $639/mo single grad. apartment? Would you be able to ask them if I would be able to email them or something about some questions (or PM me for my email and I'll give it to you).
Does anyone know about the fitness room and windsor? many people said it is very outdated but I thought they just redid it all?
Do you know about the noise level at windsor? That apartment complex too I heard was noisy or had bad management :(
Does anyone know anything about The Crossings at Knollwood

thanks again for all the help
--Mike

I can only speak to Foxridge as I lived there for 4 years. Now I am on Roanoke St, in the midst of the "Greek section" and yeah, it cang et loud..but I can't pass up the cheap rent and great pet policy (you can have reptiles).

I was on the very very VERY edge of the undergrad section, right next to the grad section, so basically I was in it. I never had noise problems in the four years I lived there. Now if you get an apartment in the middle of Foxridge - THAT is where all the undergrads congregate. And yeah, it can be loud. However, all the apts are pretty soundproof anyway. Remember that the people who take the time,a nd are worked up enough, to post on online review sites are usually the ones who had bad experiences, not good - so it will be skewed.

I just dislike Foxridge because they royally screwed me when I moved out - they charged me for replacing the carpet in the whole apartmen (560$) because they SAID, there was "pet urine"...now I know both my dog and cat are impeccably housetrained, and I never ever saw or smelled ANY pee in the house, so I asked them how they figured there was urine...they never answered. Evidently this has happened to others, so I feel that if you have pets, they will charge you for "pet urine carpet removal" whether your animals ever peed in the house or not. Not to mention the fact that they chanegd the carpet in apartments every three years anyway if it is occupied - they just decided to conveniently charge ME for it.

Plus the rent is atrocious. $600 for a one bedroom? Sheesh.

I will say that the reason I stayed there so long was because the area is quite beautiful and has lots of nice areas to walk the dog. Again, I was on the outskirts and never had a noise problem. Remember it also depends on your neighbors - you can alwasy get unlucky and get some loud ones. But in 4 years, I never did. They do have very nice and timely maintenance, also.