VA jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiveMD

Giggity giggity!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone in this forum currently working for the VA full time? I am just hoping to get a general sense of what is like to be an ophthalmologist for the VA. Pros and cons.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't work for the VA full time, but know a few docs who do. My understanding is as follows.

Pros: relatively lax working environment, residents take call (usually), good benefits

Cons: lower pay potential than private practice, lack of direct staff control (i.e., hiring & firing), constantly wrestling with the VA bureaucracy

Not a VA employee here either but have seen one in action in med school, residency, and now fellowship. My N=3

Pros - volume of patients seems to be less, more laid back, benefits good, little malpractice risk, less call requirements usually, any state licence works (don't have to get an new one if you move to different state)

Cons - pay potential lower, NO control over support staff, VA bureaucracy

The VA bureaucracy is the deal breaker in my opinion. It can really be utterly ridiculous at times and frustrating. You have to be okay with that. I would work part time at a VA if I end up in academics but dont' think I could do it FT.

The VA bureaucracy is the deal breaker in my opinion. It can really be utterly ridiculous at times and frustrating. You have to be okay with that. I would work part time at a VA if I end up in academics but dont' think I could do it FT.

Amen, brother. I'm currently negotiating a fee for service contract at the local VA to staff a resident retina clinic there. No way I would go FT, though.