VA contract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psycho1391

Clinical Psychology Ph.D.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you with VA positions, how long did it take to get a contract? How long was it before your start date?

I got offered a position back in February and I'm supposed to start August 2nd. I still haven't gotten a contract or heard anything from credentialing. HR has everything they need.

I'm currently on internship that ends July 16, so it isn't a huge deal, but super anxiety provoking nonetheless.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you with VA positions, how long did it take to get a contract? How long was it before your start date?

I got offered a position back in February and I'm supposed to start August 2nd. I still haven't gotten a contract or heard anything from credentialing. HR has everything they need.

I'm currently on internship that ends July 16, so it isn't a huge deal, but super anxiety provoking nonetheless.
Is it a postdoc position, or a GS-11 position? For postdoc, you will receive a letter from the director of training. I never got a contract for my postdoc. It was not a contracted position (what I was told). For a GS position, you will receive an official offer after credentialing, background check, and physical. Follow-up with HR. A couple of months before your start date is about the time they should contact you for the onboarding process.

Last edited:
I just moved positions and I received my firm offer via the USAJobs portal about 1.5 weeks prior to the start date. I believe it was about 3 weeks out at my former facility (which happens to have pretty good HR).

I know others who have waited until literally the Friday before Monday NEO for their firm offer (my formal postdoc offer worked on a similar timeline).

IIRC, you only work with the credentialing office if you're already licensed and bypass it if you're going into an unlicensed GS11/12 or postdoc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my official job offer through USAJobs/USAStaffing on a Wednesday for my start date the following Monday. My actual start date was delayed 3 weeks from what we had originally agreed on (HR paperwork issues) but my team was extremely understanding and supportive about it - it's not at all unusual in VA.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it a postdoc position, or a GS-11 position? For postdoc, you will receive a letter from the director of training. I never got a contract for my postdoc. It was not a contracted position (what I was told). For a GS position, you will receive an official offer after credentialing, background check, and physical. Follow-up with HR. A couple of months before your start date is about the time they should contact you for the onboarding process.
It is a GS-11 position.

It is a GS-11 position.
If you are at a VA site, you can get your background check and physical exam done at your internship site sooner rather than later. If credentialing is required, not sure if they are able to run your credentialing now. Mine was done in a day after I provided a scanned copy of the transcript (with the degree posting date) and a copy of the internship Certificate of Completion. On another note, it took two weeks for the registrar's office to post my degree after they received the confirmation of my completion of the internship.

Last edited: