UWorld, Step 1, When you began UWorld

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honey0102

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused about the UWorld to Step 1 Predictor as I keep hearing different things ()

For those who took Step 1: How accurate was this predictor? And when did you start UWorld? That kind of impacts the score on UW First Pass. Some people started it in November for a June exam, others in May, others in March. Knowing that would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused about the UWorld to Step 1 Predictor as I keep hearing different things ()

For those who took Step 1: How accurate was this predictor? And when did you start UWorld? That kind of impacts the score on UW First Pass. Some people started it in November for a June exam, others in May, others in March. Knowing that would be helpful.

Exactly. Everything you see online has massive bias. Not many people who got 198s are going to post, and most of the 'calculators' use a mean of 240+. Everyone uses UW differently. My school used their past classes data in this calculator and it had almost no real correlation. Don't listen to the noise and Trust the process. Its hard as hell to do that though

Reactions: 1 user

Echo Chi bucks even tho I hate Chicago sports teams.

I did a first UW pass throughout the spring semester starting at winter break and it was organ systems untimed with my classes. Used it primarily to learn material. My average was a 55% lol. If I put 55% in that UW calculator with my nbmes it's not a pretty sight. A lot of people use UW just for dedicated after a big pass or two through all the material. Much different outcome. So as chibucks said, take it with a grain of salt. Although when you look at that reddit thread, people's scores are on the money with that calculator. I think a more accurate predictor for yourself would be to average UWSA1 and 2, as well as NBME 18. Your score seems to fall around there, most often over those scores (ie they often underpredict)

Echo Chi bucks even tho I hate Chicago sports teams.

I did a first UW pass throughout the spring semester starting at winter break and it was organ systems untimed with my classes. Used it primarily to learn material. My average was a 55% lol. If I put 55% in that UW calculator with my nbmes it's not a pretty sight. A lot of people use UW just for dedicated after a big pass or two through all the material. Much different outcome. So as chibucks said, take it with a grain of salt. Although when you look at that reddit thread, people's scores are on the money with that calculator. I think a more accurate predictor for yourself would be to average UWSA1 and 2, as well as NBME 18. Your score seems to fall around there, most often over those scores (ie they often underpredict)
Thanks so much. Yeah, our school also recommended using UW as a learning tool. I didn't do it quite the way you did but pretty similar (began in March, a total mix of questions) but they made us start it before beginning content review so...let's just say my starting averages were right around where yours was haha. They went up a lot after that once I did content review but my overall average still isn't what it might have been if I only began UW in Dedicated. Havent done UWSA yet but will keep that in mind. Thanks!