UWorld Score going down 5 weeks out from exam. FREAKING OUT!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katniss Everdeen

Fire is catching, and if we burn, you burn with us
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started UWorld a week ago and have been scoring in the mid 60's-lot 70's my first 10 blocks. I just did 2 blocks today and got a 55% and a 60% and am freaking out. I realize this might be an overreaction. Aiming for ~250 on the actual thing.

Is this normal??

Also, if anybody has any tips about how to most effectively use UWorld, please let me know! I've been making simple Anki cards with info from the questions I got right/wrong.

Thanks!

~ Katniss

Members don't see this ad.

5 weeks is plenty of time, I wouldn't worry about a small drop, just keep consistently hammering out questions. I scored 250+ and I noticed that I started increasing my percentage magically overnight by starting with reading the last sentence first. Basically, by knowing the ultimate question, you can frame your mind to look out for certain things in order to answer the entire stem.

Reactions: 1 user
I just started UWorld a week ago and have been scoring in the mid 60's-lot 70's my first 10 blocks. I just did 2 blocks today and got a 55% and a 60% and am freaking out. I realize this might be an overreaction. Aiming for ~250 on the actual thing.

Is this normal??

Also, if anybody has any tips about how to most effectively use UWorld, please let me know! I've been making simple Anki cards with info from the questions I got right/wrong.

Thanks!

~ Katniss
Work on your reading comprehension.... uworld specifically states it’s a learning tool and not an assessment tool. Take an nbme then freak out of its not where it needs to be

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Is this normal??

Thanks!

~ Katniss

You have plenty of time.

Just my thoughts...there is no winning the psychological game of STEP 1.

Just think. If you were scoring consistent 90%s now you might be thinking “Am I ready? What if I peak too soon? What if I forget everything? Is this a fluke? Do I move up my date?”

Here’s what I would say helped keep me level:

1.) Have a plan. Set reasonable daily goals. Stick to it. You’ll sleep better knowing you did all you were “supposed to” that day.

2.) Get through UW AT LEAST once with a pass of your incorrects before you even think about testing.

3.) Take NBMEs at regular intervals. These will be hard days but, if you do things right, they will be your only really “worried” days. Long tests, high stress and will leave you thinking. Be honest about them and what the result means for your plan/eventual goals. Once that analysis is done go back to the mindset of #1.

• Love
Don’t waste time making your own Anki cards. Download the premade Zanki deck and use the search function to find and unsuspend relevant cards.

Don’t waste time making your own Anki cards. Download the premade Zanki deck and use the search function to find and unsuspend relevant cards.

I've been doing Zanki for the last 2 years and am pretty sick of it haha. I think making my own cards really helps :)

You have plenty of time.

Just my thoughts...there is no winning the psychological game of STEP 1.

Just think. If you were scoring consistent 90%s now you might be thinking “Am I ready? What if I peak too soon? What if I forget everything? Is this a fluke? Do I move up my date?”

Here’s what I would say helped keep me level:

1.) Have a plan. Set reasonable daily goals. Stick to it. You’ll sleep better knowing you did all you were “supposed to” that day.

2.) Get through UW AT LEAST once with a pass of your incorrects before you even think about testing.

3.) Take NBMEs at regular intervals. These will be hard days but, if you do things right, they will be your only really “worried” days. Long tests, high stress and will leave you thinking. Be honest about them and what the result means for your plan/eventual goals. Once that analysis is done go back to the mindset of #1.

Thanks for the advice! I've actually decided to take all the NBMEs the week before my Step. No use in stressing myself out so far before the actual exam in case I do poorly on one.

Thanks for the advice! I've actually decided to take all the NBMEs the week before my Step. No use in stressing myself out so far before the actual exam in case I do poorly on one.

Would not do this.

I would reccomend:

UWSA 1 now.
NBME q1wk
UWSA 2 + Free 120 3-6 days before your test

You need to track your progress.

Would not do this.

I would reccomend:

UWSA 1 now.
NBME q1wk
UWSA 2 + Free 120 3-6 days before your test

You need to track your progress.

True but I'm not worried about failing and there's no way to move my test date. Even if I'm not making progress, I don't see how knowing that would change my studying at all; I'm still just going to be doing Uworld and Anki :)