UW filled with critical errors??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=861027

Beginning with post #4 (down to the end of the thread), it seems that there are grave errors in UW with regards to Step 3 prep.

What else can we use that doesn't contain such dangerous errors, which won't bring us down on the real test?

This quote was particularly concerning:

I am sorry to hear about your result. CCS is definitely a key to pass this exam. If you can not do at least 80% correct on the CCS, most people say you can not pass this exam.

The problem with USMLE WORLD software is that there are many mistakes in the interaction and it does not guide on what to do to get a higher score. It also does not tell what things are most crucial to score higher on the CCS. I have done this and I find there are some critical mistakes in UW which can lower the CCS score. For example, UW software does not accept patients for surgery when surgery is required. The software is not properly designed to accept the patient when an appropriate surgery is ordered. This error can misguide us to think as if there is no need for surgery and this can cost us the entire case on the exam. I did cases on USMLE CD and when there is an indication for surgery, the surgeon will accept the patient and a window pops up saying " patient will be scheduled for surgery. Continue with medical management". We should then type the name of the surgery itself along with pre-op orders.

Other mistake is the timing of emergent surgery is totally wrong on UW when you compare with the real USMLE CD. For example on UW, emergent laparotomy takes 24hrs, which is not emergent. This is wrong. You can practice this on USMLE CD. In reality, Stat laporotomy takes only 2 hours. If you pick up case number 1 on usmle CD and order "laporotomy" and choose "stat" and then check report time. It says with in 2 hours of order time, it will be done.
If you are practicing on USMLE World software, please remember there are hundreds of errors especially in critical aspects like this where this software can clearly misguide us with respect to report times and time taken to complete an order. This leads to confusion.

There are other critical mistakes on UW software like timing of CT in ER settings. CT scan stat in the ER takes 4 hours to come back on UW software where as it takesx only 30 minutes to come back on the USMLE CD. This shows that UW software has no time sense with respect to ER case scenarios where simulated time is crucial. If you have a stroke patient who presented in the ER with in 30 minutes, you can not wait for 4 hours to read the CT head result. If that is the case, you lose the valuable 3 hour window to administer thrombolytic in a CVA patient. UW software reports CT head in ER setting after 4 hours. Practicing cases on such software can obviously screw up our analysis i.e; waiting for four hours for a CT head when tpa was to be given with in 3 hours in a ischemic CVA patient.

CT head takes only 30 minutes if ordered as "STAT" in the ER setting on the USMLE CD. So, clearly UW is giving erroneous "report times" which can mess up the case approach. I think it is better to work on the USMLE CD software to clear your doubts regarding this simulated time.

Have you listened to ********** course or Shaher's ? I heard ********** course uses the USMLE CD to demonstrate the cases so report times and simulated times are accurate and as per guidelines. I have not watched these yet but I am considering Archer and shaher. What is your opinion on the ********** course or USMLE consult or Shaher CD?

Members don't see this ad.

I used UW as my only prep and scored >250.

Having a head CT come back at the wrong interval is not a critical error in the software. You manage a case based off of the information you are given. You do the best you can.

If you are stupid, no prep product is going to help :laugh::smuggrin:

But if getting it back at the wrong interval is going to result in a lower score on the case, it's a pretty critical error. And what about the rest of the errors mentioned?

Also, I wholeheartedly agree with your last statement :lol:

But if getting it back at the wrong interval is going to result in a lower score on the case, it's a pretty critical error. And what about the rest of the errors mentioned?

Also, I wholeheartedly agree with your last statement :lol:

Holy crap I promise there aren't glaring errors that make a single bit of difference. I covered that in that same thread, and then again in another. Please stop propigating the "UWORLD WILL CAUSE ME TO FAILZ!"""1!!11!!11'""''"'''''"" crap.

DO the cases. Win. Please see my responses to multiple threads regarding the topic for explanations.

Members don't see this ad :)
How would it result in a lower score? If you order a stat CT, you should always advance to the clock to next result not to 4 hours or whatever. If the laparotomy takes more time to begin, you keep the pt stable. This is not difficult stuff if you have any experience.

CCS is about how you react to information as it comes in.

Keep in mind that the first time pass rate for US grads is like 96 or 98%. Most people barely prepare for this test.

How would it result in a lower score? If you order a stat CT, you should always advance to the clock to next result not to 4 hours or whatever. If the laparotomy takes more time to begin, you keep the pt stable. This is not difficult stuff if you have any experience.

CCS is about how you react to information as it comes in.

Keep in mind that the first time pass rate for US grads is like 96 or 98%. Most people barely prepare for this test.
And for US-IMGs?

And thanks for the input. :thumbup:

probably lower but why does that matter? the point is that if your experience and knowledge is that of the avg of a US grad you shouldn't have any trouble.

I used UW as my only prep and scored >250.

Having a head CT come back at the wrong interval is not a critical error in the software. You manage a case based off of the information you are given. You do the best you can.

If you are stupid, no prep product is going to help :laugh::smuggrin:

Yes, it is filled with highly fatal errors capable of pulling down your score if you trust it too much with out using your own brain. Most people that are giving advise here are people that spend most of their time on these forums and they have been doing so for more than 3 years as detailed in their profiles ( i wonder how they have so much time if they are real doctors). These people are not offering logical explanation but simply, screaming the same statement " UW is all you need". This is obviously, very suspicious.

Again, I am not here to argue with people who do not understand the concept behind "simulated time" in the CCS cases. This is clearly the reason why most people are failing in CCS portion even after repeating this error filled UW software three times. Simulated time is crucial and managing it well is important. By reporting results very late, UW is conveying a fatal point that it is "ok" to delay in the ER in critical setting. As we practice more on the software, we lose the concept of software navigation and the judgement in clinical case scenarios.
Surgery is a huge problem also. Surgeons will not accept in UW even if there is indication. This conveys a message to us that it is "ok" to order the name of the surgical procedure on primum software even if surgeon does not accept. Not everyone knows correct indications for surgery and if surgeon does not accept it is not acceptable to put surgery name with out first meeting the criteria for surgery. Surgery is invasive and putting such orders with out having an idea about navigation and how things will work on "Primum" is a serious issue. The flaws in UW are definitely the reason for many people failing the exam. At least, this is true for people with average knowledge. Some people may have great IQ to neglect the UW errors and move on in their own way. But for most people, this erroneous method that they practice on UW will stick and they do the same errors on the exam.

^^ Yeah and I also read something like if you cancel an order from a long list of orders on UW, that it cancels ALL of the orders; apparently this doesn't happen on the Primum software. or vice versa,,, can't remember which.

What's the solution to this? Why wouldn't UW make it the same as the Primum software?

I found UW to be pretty helpful for CCS. I did that plus the 6 free cases given by the USMLE folks for free and had no problems working the software or confusion about the logistics of the exam. I also thought the UW cases were pretty on par with the real cases in terms of difficulty. Like most of the others, I'm still not buying that people are failing this thing because of UW. But if you're worried, you might as well buy some other CCS tools, too.

Now about IMGs and failures, I think a huge thing is whether or not you're actually a resident. Doing Step 3 before starting residency is, I would guess, associated with a higher failure rate.

^^ Yeah and I also read something like if you cancel an order from a long list of orders on UW, that it cancels ALL of the orders; apparently this doesn't happen on the Primum software. or vice versa,,, can't remember which.

What's the solution to this? Why wouldn't UW make it the same as the Primum software?

The solution to this is to print out UW cases ( print only) and practice these cases by putting the orders on Primum software to understand how things exactly work on exam and also, to get better understanding of the true navigation

The solution to this is to print out UW cases ( print only) and practice these cases by putting the orders on Primum software to understand how things exactly work on exam and also, to get better understanding of the true navigation
UW allows users to print out their cases?

UW allows users to print out their cases?

From february 2012, UW report times becomes even more worthless. Do not use that software because the whole series of cases are going to be either 20 minutes or 10 mins. UW approach can not reflect that simulated times and lethargic approach kills the patients. Beware of hardcore promoters here who would try to cheat you in to buying their software.

UW will allow printing cases. You can print and practice on New USMLE Orientation materials on official website. But most of the CCS cases over the recent months are new and 90% of them are not even covered in UW. UW is becoming a history so, sticking to those old cases and thinking they would come up on exam does not make sense. The best way is to visit forums or do goggle search to see what cases are commonly asked on exam.

Just bumping to see if this controversy still exists. (might do UW prep for Step 3)

There are no "critical" errors in UWorld, on either the Q-bank or the CCS cases. If you are an AMG and use UWorld, in conjunction with First Aid or any one of those type of books, you will pass. This is not a difficult exam, don't psych yourself out.