UVA vs. UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pleasehelpmedecidethanks

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Would love to get your input. Thanks in advance.

University of Virginia (UVA)
Pros
  • Good fit - enjoyed interview day, enjoyed meeting current students and faculty
  • Change of setting - potential for growth in new environment
  • Outdoors - I like the mountains, landscape surrounding Charlottesville
  • 1.5 year preclinical

Cons
  • Price ($$) - COA ~ 80k/year

University of Florida (UF)
Pros
  • Price ($) - COA ~ 50k/year
  • Familiarity - I know many current med students

Cons
  • Would be staying in Florida
  • 2 year preclinical

Career goals: Undecided - open to any field and academia. Some interest in practicing in rural environment.

Members don't see this ad.

UF. UVA is the better known school but UF is a powerhouse in terms of research. Sure, it's not top-tier (UVA isn't exactly top-tier either), but it's the flagship state school and has top notch research centers with the resources/funding and clinical facilities to back them up. UF has a plethora of clinical and research opportunities for students and I don't think there are any doors opened by UVA that would not be wide open at UF.

If the money was more equal, I would say go where you "fit" best, whether thats in terms of curriculum, location, specific opportunities, etc. However, many of these "fit" factors are difficult to fully assess prior to matriculation and the difference between schools is often slight.

However, the money is not equal in this case. 320K(+interest accrued over residency/fellowship) is a big difference compared to 200k. Those are both big numbers, but 320k is getting into the range where you might find yourself needing to ask difficult questions about the feasibility of certain specialties, living in certain locations, cutting back in other areas of COL, etc. Sure, you could bank on falling in love with ortho, but that plan seems extremely risky.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
UVA, Better career prospects, 80K aint much in the long run.

I think OP meant 80k/year vs 50k/year meaning a debt load of 320k (UVA) vs 200k (UF), unless I just read that wrong.

I'd also question the career prospects statement. If you look at the match lists, UVA's generally look slightly stronger, but UF sends people to the top as well.. Reputation, for the places that seem to value reputation, seem to really focus in on schools in the top 10, 20. I'd still give UVA the reputation edge, but I'm not sure it's all that dramatic compared to UF (and not worth 200k vs. 320k).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a very similar predicament, so I can't really choose one or the other for you. However, I used the AAMC debt payback calculator for those two COA's already and using a 25 year payback time, you would owe 768k to UVA, and ~462k to UF. According to the calculator, you will have to payback about 37k a year from your salary if you go to UVA vs 20k a year from UF. Personally, that is enough for me to close off certain specialties for good (Peds, family medicine, primary care in general). But I feel you, I too really want to get out of Florida lol

Personally, that is enough for me to close off certain specialties for good (Peds, family medicine, primary care in general). But I feel you, I too really want to get out of Florida

You can absolutely, 100% get out of Florida if that's what you want– for residency (and beyond). Look at UF's match lists. There are so many non-FL matches. Sure, lots of FL matches, but this is a state school with lots of FL residents who presumably would have more reasons to want to stay in FL.

Having a debt burden so high that it essentially closes off certain specialties is a big deal. Seemingly a much bigger deal than whatever potential reputation bump UVA might offer (and I'd argue the difference in reputation is not worth the difference in cost).