UVA vs EVMS vs Oakland University - urgent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ace6786

Reaction score
UVA vs EVMS vs Oakland University

So I am between 3 schools right now and need to make a decision very soon, like 3 days max. Here are the pros and cons right now of each so far. I honestly don't know much about Oakland University med school since its very far away. As far as specialties I do know I want to specialize in something, current ideas are cardio, anesthesiology, ophthalmology, Emergency Med etc. The costs I gave are for 4 yrs estimate with living expenses.

UVA:
-T20 school
-2.5 hrs away from home
-Can take advantage of their INOVA program (can rotate between Northern VA & Charlottesville) and connect with 2 residency programs that way
-1.5 yr preclinical which is unranked P/F
-Cost
-Probably more global opportunities
-Research heavy so might help in competitive specialties since Step 1 is P/F
-Overall cost - 140k

Oakland:
-dont know anything about it (I've never been to Michigan)
-Cold area to live in
-Close to Detroit so probably higher living costs and a more risky environment?
-14 hrs away from home
-paying my tuition, I would pay living costs
-Gave a very community vibe to it when I interviewed
-Overall costs- 65k-70k
-Only reason for me choosing it would be cost

EVMS:
-Would live at home so no living costs
-Local
-Very connected to local community
- according to students, harder to find research opps
-Seems to have a lot of matches in primary care
-Know a couple of staff members there
-Overall costs - 150k (didn't receive any fin aid)

Members don't see this ad.

Given how the match is progressing every year, UVA for sure. 140k vs 70k total isn't enough of a difference between Oakland and UVA, and a loan burden of 140k is already significantly better than most.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Given how the match is progressing, UVA for sure. 140k vs 70k total isn't enough of a difference between Oakland and UVA, and a loan burden of 140k is already significantly better than most.
What do you mean by how match is progressing? Yep that makes sense about the cost though, yes it's a full ride, but I'm still paying living costs at Oakland, and it's going to be super super far away from home too.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean by how match is progressing? Yep that makes sense about the cost though, yes it's a full ride, but I'm still paying living costs at Oakland, and it's going to be super super far away from home too.
The match is becoming more competitive each year. Med school seats increasing faster than residency spots are increasing along with P/F Step 1 make school reputation, resources, and networking more important.

Reactions: 1 user
Uva easy, reputation is way better.

Reactions: 1 users
Not even close, UVA

The match is becoming more competitive each year. Med school seats increasing faster than residency spots are increasing along with P/F Step 1 make school reputation, resources, and networking more important.
The number of PGY-1 positions per MD senior has actually been increasing steadily. It most recently bottomed out in 2011 at 1.41, and in 2022 it was 1.82. During this same period the number of PGY-1 positions per all applicants went from 0.77 to 0.85.

In 2023 there were 19,748 active MD seniors in the match and 37,425 PGY-1 positions.

The big problem isn't a paucity of positions. The big problem is a positive feedback loop of over-application, especially for competitive specialties.

Appreciate all the info everyone gave! Ive decided to go with UVA too! In the long term 70k is not worth sacrificing closeness to family and it is a better known school as well