UTSW vs Einstein??? HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor027

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just got an acceptance at UTSW, and Im currently on the High Priority Waitlist for Einstein. I am very conflicted as to which school would be better.

little bit about me: I was born in Cameroon, immigrated here at a very young age. I am a URM, 23, am keeping an open-mind to what specialty I am interested in. I am very interested in health equity, research, and medical education.

Einstein (HPWL)
Pros:
  • p/f pre-clinical
  • 1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum
  • highly diverse and underserved patient population
  • alot of global health opportunities
  • best interview day experience; really connected with my interviewer and the students
  • echo clinic - early clinical experience
  • students seem very happy and friendly
Cons:
  • unsure about financial aid/scholarship
  • family lives in texas :\
UTSW
Pros:
  • in state tuition
  • p/f
  • 1.5 clinical years
  • great clinical exposure
  • new buildings/growing campus
Cons:
  • has a reputation for being intense/gunnery
  • not much public health/healthy equity work here
  • dallas is not nyc :/

In summary, I was originally leaning towards Einstein, but the in-state tution of UTSW is very appealing? I feel like the culture of Einstein alighs more with my goals - but cost is my issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you already have an admission at Einstein this is not a good comparison.

Since you just got admitted to UTSW, you can compare it to something you need to give up to accept.

If you dont have any current admissions, you accept UTSW, wait for Einstein to make a decision and then come back and ask that question when you will be required to give up UTSW for Einstein.

Yes, from previous threads Einstein should be giving me a reply in the next two weeks. I have already accepted UTSW, but want to just mentally prepare myself it is an option.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UTSW is far cheaper, has an edge in prestige, and is located in Dallas with huge public health opportunities. The culture can be a little intense, but likewise all New York schools have a similar medical culture

UTSW is the clear winner here unless Einstein puts up significant money (with cost of living considerations, I’d want to see full tuition or better from Einstein to convince me to go)

Agree with @Kracin. I have heard this before that UTSW does not provide diverse populations and that is not a valid statement. UTSW is a metropolitan area with a huge variation in population. UTSW may be running several clinics locally in different locations where there may be underserved populations where students should be able to volunteer.

From what I have seen UTMB has global health concentrations but UTSW does not. However, one can go do rotations anywhere they want since UTSW also has 1.5 year preclinical curriculum that allows most of final year to be open.

Both are excellent schools. Wait until you receive an acceptance and/or financial information from Einstein, since it is not yet a bird in hand. The pragmatic option, right now, appears UTSW, but it seems you want to go to Einstein and you will be happier and more successful there. If they match or provide a similar cost, you can make an easier decision. They have on-campus housing that drastically reduces the COL in NY, but it is important to evaluate the delta in tuition and see if it can be bridged. But you can relax for now, since you have a great option in hand already.

update: got accepted into Einstein! but only with a one time scholarship of 10,000
also got accepted into temple but pending the fin aid with that.

update: got accepted into Einstein! but only with a one time scholarship of 10,000
also got accepted into temple but pending the fin aid with that.
leaning towards utsw because of resources and opportunities present at nearly half the cost

It is not cheap to live in New York and so it is not just a question of tuition.