UTSW gas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ketafol

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone interview at UTSW this year? What were your impressions? Im am just trying to decide if it is worth going there. I hear that they interview about 20 applicants per position. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone interview at UTSW this year? What were your impressions? Im am just trying to decide if it is worth going there. I hear that they interview about 20 applicants per position. Is this true?

Dr. Johnston, resigned or resigned under pressure depending on who you ask. It's a political mess that is hurting the program.

do you think this will have much of an impact upon their pain program.....evidently Lou stepped aside as program director earlier this year?!?!

There is a faculty member at my institution who came from UTSW a few years ago as well as having trained there and has mentioned to me that people are jumping ship left and right. I respect this faculty member quite a bit, and given his integrity I doubt he would just blow smoke or give advice based on sour grapes. In fact, his advice to me (good, I think, for any program you are looking at) was to apply and go look - but look closely.

Did you get to interview with the Urologist?

Do you want to do a residency where the department leaders are playing musical chairs? I think I would rank just about any other place higher and let someone else deal with the melodrama going on at UTSW.

If you have any interest in the program for whatever reason, take an interview there.

Despite the issues over the chairman's position, the program is still one of the most complete residencies in the country. Volume, complexity, diversity, everything.

The issue with Leland in the pain division is not an issue as most of the teaching was done by the other pain doctors who are all very well trained.

Unlike other programs with changes in leadership, this was NOT motivated/caused by residency deficiencies. It was a personality/political conflict that has not and will not affect the residents of the program.

Southwestern is expanding and the new ASC of Southwestern boasts all of the most modern equipment in anesthesia.

If you have a question about the program or its stability, contact the program and the interim directors (Charles Whitten or Louis Stool). The urologist is interim chair but the interim directors are running the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can assure you that having Dr. Bill Johnston resigning as chairman at UTSW hurts this program significantly. The reputation of UTSW went down significantly when word got out that he resigned and don't let UTSouthwestern fool you on that. One of their CA-2s already transferred to one of the Harvard programs. Recruiting good faculty will be an issue. Bill Johnston is one of the most respected academic anesthesiologists in the country and he was building up that program for the last 5 years. He resigned over several key points but the major one was the fact that the admin. wanted to cut faculty salaries. If you do this in a market like Dallas you will have a mass exodus.

UTSW was not a particularly strong program nor did it have that strong of residents before Johnston got there. Attendings will not want to go there in an unstable environment or a weak chairman.

They interview 10 aplicants per slot.
Who says that they dont get strong residents ? ITE score average for interns was 25, which was better than the average for CA-1 nationwide. The resident who left the program wanted to go to MGH because that was his 1st choice, UTSW was 2nd. Spot opened up at MGH and he grabbed it.
Program is still the same except the leadership. Ask yourself what you want from the program. Alabama lost Dr. Chestnut last year, did that affect the program ? I dont think so. They hired a great guy from Mayo and is still one of the elite program.
My opinion is that programs are bad if they dont provide you the training resources during the residency. UTSW has everything to offer from trauma to transplant (at Baylor where we rotate)
I came to this program because I really wanted to learn everything possible what anesthesia has to offer. I wanted to handle tough cases with confidence and I wanted to learn during residency, not in practice. I can assure you that resident training is not affected rom this political mess.
BTW, Dr. Johnston is going to Scott and White, Temple if that helps anybody.

They interview 10 aplicants per slot.
Who says that they dont get strong residents ? ITE score average for interns was 25, which was better than the average for CA-1 nationwide. The resident who left the program wanted to go to MGH because that was his 1st choice, UTSW was 2nd. Spot opened up at MGH and he grabbed it.
Program is still the same except the leadership. Ask yourself what you want from the program. Alabama lost Dr. Chestnut last year, did that affect the program ? I dont think so. They hired a great guy from Mayo and is still one of the elite program.
My opinion is that programs are bad if they dont provide you the training resources during the residency. UTSW has everything to offer from trauma to transplant (at Baylor where we rotate)
I came to this program because I really wanted to learn everything possible what anesthesia has to offer. I wanted to handle tough cases with confidence and I wanted to learn during residency, not in practice. I can assure you that resident training is not affected rom this political mess.
BTW, Dr. Johnston is going to Scott and White, Temple if that helps anybody.

Dallas Methodist Hospital is also cranking out liver transplants so you now have about 280-370 liver transplants available per year to the residents (almost all are done with residents present).

As for the program not being a choice destination for attendings, several in the private practice community, including members of a very strong local group have inquired about moving to the program, even without the new chair in position.