UTSW Dallas/Parkland hospital on probation..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBCD is fat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at UTSW in Dallas (Parkland Hospital) earlier this season and overall really liked the vibe and what they were pitching. At the same time, I've read the past residency reviews and it seems many people had the impression the residents were overworked and treated more as "slave labor." Then on top of that, the entire hospital is on probation for CMC violations.

The most recent residency review on stud-doc is almost a year old, so I was wondering if anyone did their away rotation there this year and what their experience was? Any current residents want to weigh in?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at UTSW in Dallas (Parkland Hospital) earlier this season and overall really liked the vibe and what they were pitching. At the same time, I've read the past residency reviews and it seems many people had the impression the residents were overworked and treated more as "slave labor." Then on top of that, the entire hospital is on probation for CMC violations.

The most recent residency review on stud-doc is almost a year old, so I was wondering if anyone did their away rotation there this year and what their experience was? Any current residents want to weigh in?

I talked to alot of residents..I actually think they have one of the most cush intern years. The probation thing is Bs and will be gone next year. Basically they were hit with some violations for **** that every county hospital has and plenty of richer ones. (Technically not HIPPA compliant because they have curtains instead of doors, not everyone washes their hands, etc).

I talked to alot of residents..I actually think they have one of the most cush intern years. The probation thing is Bs and will be gone next year. Basically they were hit with some violations for **** that every county hospital has and plenty of richer ones. (Technically not HIPPA compliant because they have curtains instead of doors, not everyone washes their hands, etc).
I don't think I would label some of the accusations as "**** that every county hospital has".

http://www.dallasnews.com/investiga...rt-says-life-threatening-problems-persist.ece

Members don't see this ad :)
nothing like quoting an article from a year ago to sway some votes....

how about this more recent one: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/loca...s-in-improved-condition.ece?action=reregister

From a current resident's perspective - the allegations have sparked lots of change for the better. We have more nurses in each pod, phlebotomists to draw labs, and the urgent care center/new POD6 is helping the overall patient load. we are seeing a greater percentage of sicker patients... the space issue isn't going to change [until we move across the street to a shiney new hospital in 18 months]

nothing like quoting an article from a year ago to sway some votes....

how about this more recent one: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/loca...s-in-improved-condition.ece?action=reregister

From a current resident's perspective - the allegations have sparked lots of change for the better. We have more nurses in each pod, phlebotomists to draw labs, and the urgent care center/new POD6 is helping the overall patient load. we are seeing a greater percentage of sicker patients... the space issue isn't going to change [until we move across the street to a shiney new hospital in 18 months]

No vote swaying here as I think UTSW is a good program. Just pointing out that the fact that the allegations weren't anything to be taken lightly. Looks like things are heading in the right direction and I wish them nothing but the best.