UTSW Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

So I'm a rising junior at UT Austin and have no intentions of leaving Texas for medical school. More specifically, I would truly love to attend UT Southwestern for a number of reasons but mainly so that I can be in Dallas with my family. Because of the competitiveness of admissions to UTSW, I was hoping to get your guys' opinions on how I'm looking as an applicant.

Projected app. for Summer 2013:

• GPA: >3.95 (currently 4.0 on TMDSAS)
  • MCAT: Taking this summer, based on practice tests I'm expecting a 35+/-2, and an O-Q on the writing section
  • Major: Honors Biology
  • EC's: This is where I'm worried as I feel like an extremely bland cookie cutter.
    • Research: 2 yrs (6 hrs/wk), expect a poster by time of app, possible pub depending on results this summer
    • Clinical: 80 hrs discharging pt's and ~150 hrs ED
    • Shadowing: 20 hours derm, 12 hrs orthopedic surgery, 15 hrs neurology, 15 hrs family practice (~62 hrs total), possibly another 20 with a neurosurgeon, time permitting
    • Others: 1.5 yrs tutoring kids (2-3 hrs/wk), a couple clubs, some photography, a little IM sports, ~50 hours assorted volunteering, worked full time job summer after freshman year
    • Leadership: None :( I train people at the hospital if that counts
So that's about all I've got. I honestly enjoy learning and have invested most of my time in general school work. I hope that I don't come off as too robotic. I could probably let the grades slip and pick up some more EC's over the next year if you guys think my app is too unbalanced. So any advice? Like I said, going to UTSW is my main goal due to location but I'd be more than happy to attend any school in Texas.

Thanks for any opinions in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Any advice, no matter how small, would be appreciated!

Provided that you follow through on the MCAT, I think you'll be in good shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reassurance, Salaam!

Do you guys think I might be in good shape for the other Texas schools as well? Do I have any shot at Baylor, where they seem to focus a lot more on EC's?

Hi all!

So I'm a rising junior at UT Austin and have no intentions of leaving Texas for medical school. More specifically, I would truly love to attend UT Southwestern for a number of reasons but mainly so that I can be in Dallas with my family. Because of the competitiveness of admissions to UTSW, I was hoping to get your guys' opinions on how I'm looking as an applicant.

• MCAT: Taking this summer, based on practice tests I'm expecting a 35+/-2, and an O-Q on the writing section
  • EC's: This is where I'm worried as I feel like an extremely bland cookie cutter.
    • Research: 2 yrs (6 hrs/wk), expect a poster by time of app, possible pub depending on results this summer
    • Shadowing: 20 hours derm, 12 hrs orthopedic surgery, 15 hrs neurology, 15 hrs family practice (~62 hrs total), possibly another 20 with a neurosurgeon, time permitting
    • Others: 1.5 yrs tutoring kids (2-3 hrs/wk), a couple clubs, some photography, a little IM sports, ~50 hours assorted volunteering, worked full time job summer after freshman year
So that's about all I've got. I honestly enjoy learning and have invested most of my time in general school work. I hope that I don't come off as too robotic. I could probably let the grades slip and pick up some more EC's over the next year if you guys think my app is too unbalanced. So any advice? Like I said, going to UTSW is my main goal due to location but I'd be more than happy to attend any school in Texas.

If you can get your 33 ish and maintain your 3.95 gpa then you have a pretty good shot. Besides, you have a whole year to work on your ECs, so just get some leadership in (TA position? Or maybe tutor/mentor under priviledged children...or join something like best buddies and actively participate). On a side note I got accepted with a 31 and a 3.9 ish. But my ECs were a little better. So yea..take the year and work on your ECs and if you can get that 35 then you're golden for UTSW.

OP, are you in Dean's Scholars? I noticed you listed your major as "Biology Honors". If so, I would think the reputation of that program would be a boost for you as well. I think if you manage a 33 on the MCAT or higher, you definitely have a shot at Baylor, though I agree that you might want to work on your leadership ECs in the meantime.

Perhaps...

However, I believe that the general consensus is that I cannot bank on mere membership in an honors program. From what I have collected, it would seem like an honors program is only helpful for the ways that it indirectly manifests itself in the other points of my application. This is true, yes?

In any case, thanks for the reassurance guys!

I only ask as a fellow Longhorn, of course :) Good luck!

Go longhorns!

You definietly have a shot at every med school in Texas. For Baylor and Southwestern, I'd say you'd be fine with a 32-33. For A&M and Tech, you should be fine with a 27 because of your high GPA.

Clearly you have nothing to worry about! Good luck!

Hi all!

You don't necessarily need a specific title to claim you have leadership. Tutoring is an activity in leadership.

With your stats and EC's, I would be shocked if you didn't get an interview. Like everyone else, you'll have to make the most of that opportunity. As for bolstering your app some over the next year, I'd probably try to get a little more volunteer work under your belt. But overall, I think you'll be fine as long as your mcat is where you expect it to be. And btw, that's no trivial thing. I was averaging a 40 on the Kaplan practice exams, but didn't come close on the real thing. Just a heads up.