UTHSCSA vs ASDOH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothysmileysad

Reaction score
Hi! I am currently deferring starting school in San Antonio due to a health situation but wanted some thoughts on my decision.
I am on HPSP and have sufficient parental support to cover my other living costs.

During this cycle I received acceptances from UTHSCSA (San Antonio) and ASDOH (Arizona). I applied to Arizona schools only because my close family is there.

Once I received my UTHSCSA acceptance though, I paid the deposit right away. I am in state for Texas and didn’t know if I would get the HPSP or not at that point. I really liked the vibe of the school and it has a pretty good reputation. I didn’t do that much research on the Arizona schools to start with.

However, my family has been super upset for months about my decision to go to school in Texas. They keep guilt tripping me and saying that since I’m not paying anyways, I should’ve wanted to be closer to them. I guess I could’ve forfeited my deposit, but Texas was my mqin goal.

A military uncle that went to ASDOH says that the school is clinically much better and the externships are amazing. He said Texas schools “do alright w hand skills, but the public health opportunities of ASDOH are next level if you really want to give back.”

I don’t regret my decision and am sad to not be starting this year, but am starting to wonder if I should’ve sat on it a bit longer. Any thoughts or am I paying too much attention to my family?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am currently deferring starting school in San Antonio due to a health situation but wanted some thoughts on my decision.
I am on HPSP and have sufficient parental support to cover my other living costs.

During this cycle I received acceptances from UTHSCSA (San Antonio) and ASDOH (Arizona). I applied to Arizona schools only because my close family is there.

Once I received my UTHSCSA acceptance though, I paid the deposit right away. I am in state for Texas and didn’t know if I would get the HPSP or not at that point. I really liked the vibe of the school and it has a pretty good reputation. I didn’t do that much research on the Arizona schools to start with.

However, my family has been super upset for months about my decision to go to school in Texas. They keep guilt tripping me and saying that since I’m not paying anyways, I should’ve wanted to be closer to them. I guess I could’ve forfeited my deposit, but Texas was my mqin goal.

A military uncle that went to ASDOH says that the school is clinically much better and the externships are amazing. He said Texas schools “do alright w hand skills, but the public health opportunities of ASDOH are next level if you really want to give back.”

I don’t regret my decision and am sad to not be starting this year, but am starting to wonder if I should’ve sat on it a bit longer. Any thoughts or am I paying too much attention to my family?
Try telling your family that you will enjoy spending lots of time with them now during your deferral year. You will keep in touch often and visit them on breaks. Knowing your costs will be so much less at a Texas school will remove the worry of a future financial burden from your shoulders and free you to do your best at school. Repeat as needed.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I think that’s the way to go. I know Texas is great too and my uncle probably just had a lot of school pride!

Members don't see this ad :)
it’s normal to have doubts when choosing between two schools. it’s a hard decision but you made the right one! will you continue to get your scholarship with your deferral?

As a clinical rotation faculty with ASDOH and graduate of MOSDOH, I can attest that the clinical skills you get on the D4 rotations make it a far superior choice to UTH in my mind.
But at the end of the day, the end result of becoming a dentist is the same at either so go where you want to go