UTHSC/UT-Memphis College of Medicine Class of 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine115

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody else been accepted and planning on attending here?!

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely! I've withdrawn from everywhere else. I'll be there in the fall!!

Congrats on your acceptance! I'll definitely be there in the fall too. Do you have any idea where you're going to be living?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats guys! I'm finishing up my M1 year at Memphis as we speak (studying for block 4 exams...yay?).

If you have any questions or anything, just drop me a PM or post in the thread and I'll do the best I can!

I'm looking at living around the area of the school, but I really don't know yet. I'm taking classes up in Boston right now and working, so it's hard for me to look right away. Where do you live?

VneZony: What places do you recommend living? Other than mud island?
Sunshine: Have you figured out where you're living yet? Have you gotten your netid? I'm so excited!

The neighborhood I live in is awesome, and it's off the island. It's called "South Bluffs" (http://www.southbluffsapartments.com/).

The rent is cheaper than the island (my roommate and I pay $1065 total for a 2br/2bath, 1000sq ft), it's incredibly safe, about 1 block from the South Main Arts Distrcit/Farmer's Market (and about 1-2 miles from Beale Street), and is about a 7 minute drive to campus (door-to-door).

A lot of people will probably suggest you live on Mud Island, which isn't a completely bad idea, but the apartments are usually older, more expensive, and further away than Midtown.

I'm still unsure about where to live, although I'm thinking about Mud Island. I'm in Nashville right now, and I was planning on looking into housing over Christmas Break but I still haven't had a chance yet. I recently set up my netid and did some of the PAR stuff though!

I wonder when more people will start to join this thread ... and when someone will make the facebook group :). I'm so excited too!!

You could make a group! I'm sure people would join.

My parents went today to look at places for me. I don't know why, but I'm not super excited about living on Mud Island. They put down a deposit for Blair Tower. Apparently it's not the best thing ever, but it was reasonably priced, right by the school, and not super small. I think I'm going to come in town in May to look around at other stuff though too.

I also made a netID! I did all the PAR except the immunization form. Definitely excited to get more information in May/June!

I think I'll wait for someone else to do it; I've never made a group before! :)

I was just looking into Blair Tower the other day! That definitely looks like a good one, especially since it's so close to campus.

When you were doing the PAR, did the parking and housing stuff go through? I filled them out but it didn't change from green to orange so I wasn't sure.

I think my stuff went through on the PAR... I sure hope so! I sent you a PM re - facebook.

I'm still unsure about where to live, although I'm thinking about Mud Island. I'm in Nashville right now, and I was planning on looking into housing over Christmas Break but I still haven't had a chance yet. I recently set up my netid and did some of the PAR stuff though!

I wonder when more people will start to join this thread ... and when someone will make the facebook group :). I'm so excited too!!

I am on the same situation. I am in Nashville but havent had time to go and check out for housing in Memphis yet.

The neighborhood I live in is awesome, and it's off the island. It's called "South Bluffs" (http://www.southbluffsapartments.com/).

The rent is cheaper than the island (my roommate and I pay $1065 total for a 2br/2bath, 1000sq ft), it's incredibly safe, about 1 block from the South Main Arts Distrcit/Farmer's Market (and about 1-2 miles from Beale Street), and is about a 7 minute drive to campus (door-to-door).

A lot of people will probably suggest you live on Mud Island, which isn't a completely bad idea, but the apartments are usually older, more expensive, and further away than Midtown.

Thanks for this info!! :)

Quite welcome =) Let me know if you guys need anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. I just got my email with my interview date. Any advice? I'm kinda nervous...

Hey guys. I just got my email with my interview date. Any advice? I'm kinda nervous...

Just relax and be yourself =)

I know that sounds like incredibly cliche advice, but really, that's the best way to go about it. They know your stats, they know you're a smart person, they know you're determined. The interview is about your personality (and a little bit about explaining some of your extracurriculars, so maybe brush up on the details of those, if you need to, as well as the details of some of your research, if you did any).

Beyond that, have fun! The interview day is really laid back, the interviewers are all wonderful (a good mixture of MDs and PhDs), and Dianne is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Thanks. For u guys that just interviewed recently, were the questions on SDN interview feedback accurate? I mean did it help?

I interviewed at Memphis in November and have been on hold since, I've heard Memphis is really behind on their acceptances, anyone know if this is true? Any idea when I might get a definite answer?

Question: what is the netID and PAR you guys are speaking about? I am in and going to UT and I am not sure if I have done those things. Are they mandatory to complete?

I am on the same situation. I am in Nashville but havent had time to go and check out for housing in Memphis yet.

Hey y'all! I can't wait to meet everyone in the fall! I graduated from high school in Memphis and have been able to go back home a couple times this semester to check out the housing on Mud Island. Here is basically what I have noticed:

There are five apartment complexes on the island: Arbors of Harbor Town, Riverset, Island Park, Belle Harbour on Island Drive, and the Estates at River Pointe.

My sister's husband used to live in Riverset, and her only comment on it was that the apartments there are old and in need of renovation. Although this may be true, they seem to be the cheapest on the island.

Arbors of Harbor Town (my personal favorite) is closest to the Auction Avenue bridge leading onto Mud Island. The number of amenities and the appeal of being part of a neighborhood instead of an apartment complex is what sold it for me.

Belle Harbour has nice amenities, but nothing that really stood out like the Arbors.

I didn't take a tour of Island Park, but just from driving by it, the outside of the apartments look old and are in need of some painting.

The Estates are the newest apartments on the island. Everything about these apartments was new and nice, but the complex is located at the far end of the island. The extra 3 mile drive every morning just wasn't worth it to me.

Let me know if there is any other specific questions about what I saw at the apartments when I toured them. I suggest going to Apartments.com to see some pictures, the amenities, and the floorplans for all of the complexes. Also, I think I'm in the process of putting down a deposit on "The Dogwood B-2" apartment in Arbors. Its a 1,131 sq. foot, two bedroom/two bathroom apartment. It's $1027-$1107 per month. Contact me if you're interested or you know someone who might be interested.

If noone else wants to create the facebook group, I'll be more than happy to do it. Be on the look out for it either today or tomorrow.

Hey y'all! I can't wait to meet everyone in the fall! I graduated from high school in Memphis and have been able to go back home a couple times this semester to check out the housing on Mud Island. Here is basically what I have noticed:

There are five apartment complexes on the island: Arbors of Harbor Town, Riverset, Island Park, Belle Harbour on Island Drive, and the Estates at River Pointe.

My sister's husband used to live in Riverset, and her only comment on it was that the apartments there are old and in need of renovation. Although this may be true, they seem to be the cheapest on the island.

Arbors of Harbor Town (my personal favorite) is closest to the Auction Avenue bridge leading onto Mud Island. The number of amenities and the appeal of being part of a neighborhood instead of an apartment complex is what sold it for me.

Belle Harbour has nice amenities, but nothing that really stood out like the Arbors.

I didn't take a tour of Island Park, but just from driving by it, the outside of the apartments look old and are in need of some painting.

The Estates are the newest apartments on the island. Everything about these apartments was new and nice, but the complex is located at the far end of the island. The extra 3 mile drive every morning just wasn't worth it to me.

Let me know if there is any other specific questions about what I saw at the apartments when I toured them. I suggest going to Apartments.com to see some pictures, the amenities, and the floorplans for all of the complexes. Also, I think I'm in the process of putting down a deposit on "The Dogwood B-2" apartment in Arbors. Its a 1,131 sq. foot, two bedroom/two bathroom apartment. It's $1027-$1107 per month. Contact me if you're interested or you know someone who might be interested.

If noone else wants to create the facebook group, I'll be more than happy to do it. Be on the look out for it either today or tomorrow.

Thanks for such valuable information. I will be "apartment hunting" in ten days. BTW I think you can get $100 gift card just by mentioning rent.com before signing your lease!

I created a Facebook group entitled "UT-Memphis College of Medicine Class of 2014." Here is the link to the group page. Click on "Join Group."

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=104434229591760&ref=mf

Hey guys! Congrats to those of you who are headed to UT for sure, and good luck to those still waiting and deciding! I'll be starting my 4th year there next month and have had a wonderful experience thus far.

If anyone is looking for housing or knows anyone who is I've got a room for rent in my Mud Island house. My current roommate is finishing up a pharmacy internship and moving back to Atlanta this summer. Here are some details on the house...

* 2 BR/ 2.5 BA
* Rent: $695/month + split utilities
* 1600 square feet
* 10 minutes from campus/downtown hospitals
* Off the main road on a quiet side street
* Master down, 2nd BR and study up for extra privacy
* Large kitchen with granite countertops
* Spacious living room with fireplace and vaulted ceiling
* Fully furnished, except 2nd bedroom/study
* Washer and dryer provided
* Monitored security system
* 2 car garage + off-street guest parking
* Pets accepted, with approval by landlord (1 cat presently in the home)
* Available early July 2010

Please let me know if you're interested in the house or just have questions about UT and/or living in Memphis!

Last edited:
Congrats to all of you guys who are coming to Memphis in August!

If you guys have any questions about the first year, I would be more than happy to help. I just started second year, so most of first year is still fresh...well, I hope it is at least.

Has anyone heard anything from financial aid? I'm really anxious to hear! It sounded like someone would be getting in touch soon, but I haven't heard anything yet.