Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missdr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this may not be the right forum... (sorry!)
My SO and I are going to try to get in some ski time while interviewing in Salt Lake but have no idea where to go...anyone have any opinions about the various resorts in Utah? Neither of us have ever been to SLC and there are SOOO many choices ;)
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Brighton--Favorite of locals...generally shorter lift lines and cheaper lift tickets than the other resorts. Nothing too extravagant...people go to ski not to get a massage, pedicure, etc.

Alta--another favorite of locals, with a slightly more touristy feel (very slightly). Snowboarders not allowed--positive or negative depending on who you ask.

If you want a more 'premium' experience head up to the Park City area--the lift lines are longer, you'll spend more dough, but you have a resort experience--if that's what you want. The resorts surrounding Park City include Deer Valley,The Canyons, and Park City (the actual mountain).

Members don't see this ad :)
Park city for the tourist. has good lifts, snowmaking (since you're early in the year), and hit main street after for a few drinks and window shopping.

Neither Little or big cottonwood have that.

For pure ski experience with great views of towering peaks, definitely Snowbird or Alta (or both w/the combined ticket).

Skip solitude/brighton just unless the others are way more crowded.

Thanks for all the great advice!!! Can't wait to hit the slopes (and check out the program!)... ;)

missdr said:
Thanks for all the great advice!!! Can't wait to hit the slopes (and check out the program!)... ;)

Just so you know you'll be in for a real treat! We got dumped on last weekend and all today -- huge accumulation! Classes were only half full this week - everyone is on the slopes.

the only place to go is alta... the skiers' mountain. hit up supreme lift for some 'supreme' skiing. plus, they usually have the best snow conditions (but sometimes it comes at the expense of extra wind).

deer valley is also worth trying. it's not as "extreme" as alta but it has a pretty diverse set of runs. also, the lines aren't real bad here because it tends to run on the more pricey side of things.

i would recommend staying away from park city or the canyons... last time i was there it was awful. too many people, too many idiots goofing off and not knowing how to ski/board.

i'm gonna be out there this christmas break and so far it's looking like we're gonna get a nice season!

I have spent many a great ski day standing in lines at Alta and sitting on their slow lifts. It's good on a weekday, but don't go on a weekend or heaven forbid a holiday.

I just signed my contract for a group in UT. Welcome back to the world of mountains. I will be on the mountain as much as possible next season. For now I have to enjoy the warmth of the gulf coast. You can really do it right for an additional $26 you can ski Alta and Snowbird. What could be better.

I just signed my contract with a group in UT. Welcome back to the world of mountains. I will be on the mountain as much as possible next season. For now I have to enjoy the warmth of the gulf coast. You can really do it right for an additional $26 you can ski Alta and Snowbird. What could be better.

rh said:
I just signed my contract with a group in UT. Welcome back to the world of mountains. I will be on the mountain as much as possible next season. For now I have to enjoy the warmth of the gulf coast. You can really do it right for an additional $26 you can ski Alta and Snowbird. What could be better.
where in UT?

keeping-it-real said:
where in UT?

UVRMC but there were several jobs in Utah this year.

Skied Alta a couppla years ago...great times. Was actually there on the 2 days on each side of Thankgiving and on turkey day itself. Short lines, uncrowded slopes and pristine snow conditions...good stuff!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go for Alta. Great skiing and no snowboarders. Solitude is my second favorite because there are usually no crowds and Honeycomb is some great skiing.

anyone have a trip report on recent skiing near slc???

finally made it up there and BOY was it worth the wait!!! incredible snow...no lift lines...and sunny blue skies!!! i went to alta and unfortunately only had one day so didn't make it to snowbird but heard it was great as well (and you can board there!) there was a TON of fresh powder even though it had not snowed in a few days. i was shocked at how easy it was to stay in the city and pay hardly any $ for a hotel and head up the mountain and feel like you are in another world in about 35 minutes...beware the altitude however if you are from sea level like me...i felt REALLY worn out by 1pm, then came the nausea and we were DONE by 330...totally wasted from the piles of powder as well as the altitude which i wasn't expecting. all in all there is a GREAT EM program in SLC with some incredible outdoor opps within minutes...it is definitely going to be THE place to be in another 10 years!!! PM me if you have any specific questions!

Another great place to ski that wasn't mentioned is Snowbasin. The only negative is that its about a hour and a half drive up north from SLC, but the skiing is superb and the lines aren't too long. I love it.

P.S. and you can snowboard :)

missdr said:
finally made it up there and BOY was it worth the wait!!! incredible snow...no lift lines...and sunny blue skies!!! i went to alta and unfortunately only had one day so didn't make it to snowbird but heard it was great as well (and you can board there!) there was a TON of fresh powder even though it had not snowed in a few days. i was shocked at how easy it was to stay in the city and pay hardly any $ for a hotel and head up the mountain and feel like you are in another world in about 35 minutes...beware the altitude however if you are from sea level like me...i felt REALLY worn out by 1pm, then came the nausea and we were DONE by 330...totally wasted from the piles of powder as well as the altitude which i wasn't expecting. all in all there is a GREAT EM program in SLC with some incredible outdoor opps within minutes...it is definitely going to be THE place to be in another 10 years!!! PM me if you have any specific questions!
glad to hear you had a good time!

i was out in the park city area for a week or so over break. we got dumped on almost every day... amazing stuff! i haven't checked the stats, but the park city area must've gotten several feet of snow in the last two weeks.

also, i've heard they are doing some work out Ogden, trying to build a new mountain and city, etc. I think this would be a great place to live. Anyone know why type of jobs might be available for an EM physician out there?

Ogden is a great place to work. There are a couple of good hospitals, with good groups. Cost of living is reasonable, and Snowbasin, which is as good a resort as you'll find anywhere, is less than 30 minutes away. Plenty of biking, hiking, water/snow skiing etc.

keeping-it-real said:
glad to hear you had a good time!

i was out in the park city area for a week or so over break. we got dumped on almost every day... amazing stuff! i haven't checked the stats, but the park city area must've gotten several feet of snow in the last two weeks.

also, i've heard they are doing some work out Ogden, trying to build a new mountain and city, etc. I think this would be a great place to live. Anyone know why type of jobs might be available for an EM physician out there?

Hidalgo said:
Ogden is a great place to work. There are a couple of good hospitals, with good groups. Cost of living is reasonable, and Snowbasin, which is as good a resort as you'll find anywhere, is less than 30 minutes away. Plenty of biking, hiking, water/snow skiing etc.
Do you know what type of job openings there are? Is it like Cali where you have to know someone who knows somone?

keeping-it-real said:
Do you know what type of job openings there are? Is it like Cali where you have to know someone who knows somone?

There are 2 large groups in the SLC area. EPIC is one group and the other is Utah Emergency Physicians. Between the two they cover most of the Hospital in Salt Lake and Ogden. St. Marks is a seperate group as is the University of Utah. Tradiationally there have been very few jobs in Utah. In the last 2 years there have been several job openings. EPIC hired 8-10 this year and Utah EP I think had 3-4 openings. U of U had an acedemic position. ST. Marks did not hire as far as I know. Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo had 1 opening. There is another small non-democratic group in Orem hiring 1-2 this year as well. So there were several jobs in the state this year. I can't say if this trend will continue but it looks like there will be several jobs a year for the next few years. There is a new trauma center opening in the next year or so in SLC and another new hospital planned for south Salt Lake Valley. I also heard of a rumor that they are going to build a hospital in Park City.

With that said it is a wierd place to look for a job. If you are not from Utah, althought not stated may be a strike against you. There is a unique culture in Utah and the groups sometime feel that if you don't understand the culture you will come to Utah, not fit in and leave. I know being from Provo was a big factor in my getting a job there, as well as having a friend who started there last year. I was offered a job with another group, but took the job at home. The jobs are there but it does help to be from Utah and to know someone in the group.

rh said:
There are 2 large groups in the SLC area. EPIC is one group and the other is Utah Emergency Physicians. Between the two they cover most of the Hospital in Salt Lake and Ogden. St. Marks is a seperate group as is the University of Utah. Tradiationally there have been very few jobs in Utah. In the last 2 years there have been several job openings. EPIC hired 8-10 this year and Utah EP I think had 3-4 openings. U of U had an acedemic position. ST. Marks did not hire as far as I know. Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo had 1 opening. There is another small non-democratic group in Orem hiring 1-2 this year as well. So there were several jobs in the state this year. I can't say if this trend will continue but it looks like there will be several jobs a year for the next few years. There is a new trauma center opening in the next year or so in SLC and another new hospital planned for south Salt Lake Valley. I also heard of a rumor that they are going to build a hospital in Park City.

With that said it is a wierd place to look for a job. If you are not from Utah, althought not stated may be a strike against you. There is a unique culture in Utah and the groups sometime feel that if you don't understand the culture you will come to Utah, not fit in and leave. I know being from Provo was a big factor in my getting a job there, as well as having a friend who started there last year. I was offered a job with another group, but took the job at home. The jobs are there but it does help to be from Utah and to know someone in the group.
I've been out to Utah probably 14 times or so within the last couple of years so i understand that unique culture aspect; being more difficult for "outsiders" to get jobs is definitely something i'm worried about. I think even at the Utah EM program it seemed like the majority of residents came from around Utah. I don't know if this is selection bias or applicant bias, but i'm hoping it's the latter. I'm waiting to see what the new class of residents looks like to see if a similar trend took place.

That recent ACEP report, however, ranked Utah's hospital emergency system as one of the worst in america in regards to access, etc. (one of only three to score the lowest mark). I would have to think that this might change the amount of job openings and work availability. But i'm still several years away from practicing, so i'm not really sure what the status on these things will be when i finish residency.

Did you notice that Even though they got a D they were 12th in the nation in annual emergency visits to a board certified EP, and 27th in the nation for boarded EP per million? It got dinged for hopsital beds per thousand, nurses per thousand, annual expenditure on hospital care ect. They ranked quite high in th EP catagories. I don't think the grade will affect the number of job openings over the next few years.

kungfufishing said:
Did you notice that Even though they got a D they were 12th in the nation in annual emergency visits to a board certified EP, and 27th in the nation for boarded EP per million? It got dinged for hopsital beds per thousand, nurses per thousand, annual expenditure on hospital care ect. They ranked quite high in th EP catagories. I don't think the grade will affect the number of job openings over the next few years.

sorry kungfufishing you forgot to log out at work and I posted this reply in your name.

kungfufishing said:
My intentions were not to imply that the EM care is poor. I think (and you have also pointed out) that their "issue" was an access issue which is inherently biased against a more rural state. But I was wondering if this report would affect the number of hospitals in utah, thereby increasing job availability.

keeping-it-real said:
My intentions were not to imply that the EM care is poor. I think (and you have also pointed out) that their "issue" was an access issue which is inherently biased against a more rural state. But I was wondering if this report would affect the number of hospitals in utah, thereby increasing job availability.

There are several hospitals in the planning stages and the big trauma center is under construction. One Bias I noted to the report card is this. Utah is consistently one of the healthiest states in the country, and as such should not need the number of beds that say Mississippi who is the most unhealthy state would need. Why would a company build hospital beds that are going to go unfilled? On all my interviews no one said anything about boarding patient in the ED nor did I ever see any patients in the halls of the ED on any of my visits. My friends who are working there now have not mentioned this as an issue either.

But to offer words of encouragement most of the folks I talked to seemed to think that the prospects in Utah will be good for the next several years. This is certainly a relative statement though, as this was a very good year with about 15 spots available in the state.

Good luck in your search, and let me know when you are ready to start looking and I'll hook you up with some contacts

I cant believe you would write such inflammatory statements under my screen name. I can only hope the riots you've probably incited dont reach my neighborhood.

kungfufishing said:
I cant believe you would write such inflammatory statements under my screen name. I can only hope the riots you've probably incited dont reach my neighborhood.

You ought to see what I started on the Psychiatry forum under your name. I also finished your mail order bride order from that other site you forgot to log off from. She only weights 3 MS units. You'll love her.

rh said:
There are several hospitals in the planning stages and the big trauma center is under construction. One Bias I noted to the report card is this. Utah is consistently one of the healthiest states in the country, and as such should not need the number of beds that say Mississippi who is the most unhealthy state would need. Why would a company build hospital beds that are going to go unfilled? On all my interviews no one said anything about boarding patient in the ED nor did I ever see any patients in the halls of the ED on any of my visits. My friends who are working there now have not mentioned this as an issue either.

But to offer words of encouragement most of the folks I talked to seemed to think that the prospects in Utah will be good for the next several years. This is certainly a relative statement though, as this was a very good year with about 15 spots available in the state.

Good luck in your search, and let me know when you are ready to start looking and I'll hook you up with some contacts
I appreciate the info and the offer to help. I actually hadn't thought about the healthy population aspect. But i do know that utah residents consistenly have among the highest average life expectancy even among world populations.

This report that ACEP put out is simliar to how the WHO ranks country healthcare in that there are different criteria and inherent population differences that should be taken into account. I will say, though, that if this report means more hospitals in Utah, you will not hear me complaining ;)