***UT Memphis Class Of 2010 Official Thread!!!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just chiming in about the fall. Wanted to do the meet in greet a couple weeks ago but was in Thailand screwing around.

I'm not sure if people are still looking for interesting places to shack, but there is a ton of development going on south of Beale, around south main. Turley et. all are throwing up tons of lofts and condos in the area - talking Lofts @ South Bluffs, Paperworks, etc.

Anyone wanting a resident's view on Memphis real estate I'm here for the rest of the summer and am good friends with several realtors in the area.

Does anyone know if they offer or plan to implement some sort of online communication dealio with the school, ala Facebook / Myspace group?

myspace.com/nkraus

Members don't see this ad.

Typhooner1 said:
Just chiming in about the fall. Wanted to do the meet in greet a couple weeks ago but was in Thailand screwing around.

I'm not sure if people are still looking for interesting places to shack, but there is a ton of development going on south of Beale, around south main. Turley et. all are throwing up tons of lofts and condos in the area - talking Lofts @ South Bluffs, Paperworks, etc.

Anyone wanting a resident's view on Memphis real estate I'm here for the rest of the summer and am good friends with several realtors in the area.

Does anyone know if they offer or plan to implement some sort of online communication dealio with the school, ala Facebook / Myspace group?

myspace.com/nkraus

So you already live in Memphis? Me too... we should meet up this summer.

Dixie06 said:
So you already live in Memphis? Me too... we should meet up this summer.

So who all is in Memphis right now?

I'm in Germantown for the moment, but migrate to the Blair tower next week

Members don't see this ad :)
SSchulenb said:

I'm in Germantown for the moment, but migrate to the Blair tower next week
I've been in memphrika my whole life!

WhatUpDoc! said:
Exactly 2 months till first day of classes... gotta make em count :cool:
Yes doc, we know, its depressing enough without you reminding us!

SSchulenb said:

I'm still in nashville, but I will be in memphis in july 20th to move in and redo a kitchen :barf:

I will also be in Memphis by July 20th and will be moving in to a guest house in Central Gardens on August 1st. I am starting to get a little nervous (for lack of a better word) and I am pretty sure that I am ready.

I'm here for the remainder of the summer and am up for anything. We should get some people together.

typhooner1 --> nkraus

Sounds like I'm missing the party. Oh well, I'm sure there will be plenty more. I'm headed to the beach on Friday, then four mind-numbingly boring weeks at my parents' house and I'll be down in Memphis on August 4th. You kids have a good time and save some of the fun for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
surebreC said:
Anyone know if the Phi Chi fraternity is still a housing option?

yeah, as long as they have openings. Not sure if they are full or not.

Hey guys! I just joined this forum thing, not quite sure if I'm doing this right...but anyway, I'm sooo ready to get to Memphis and meet everyone! I'll be in town around August 1, hopefully. :D

dancindr said:
yeah, as long as they have openings. Not sure if they are full or not.

Do you have any idea who I contact about this? I can't seem to find an email address or telephone number on their webpage (which hasn't been updated since 2002 :laugh: )

Have you guys already turned in your parking tag request form? I still haven't because I didn't know which parking lots to put down. Any suggestions? I'm living on Mud Island if that makes a difference.

As far as parking goes. I have been told by current students at UT that the parking lot on the Northwest corner of Madison and Manassas was the safest and the closest to the GEB.

kjmtthws said:
As far as parking goes. I have been told by current students at UT that the parking lot on the Northwest corner of Madison and Manassas was the safest and the closest to the GEB.

I'm pretty sure that this lot is full.

surebreC said:
Do you have any idea who I contact about this? I can't seem to find an email address or telephone number on their webpage (which hasn't been updated since 2002 :laugh: )

Found the following by doing a quick search for phi chi on the main website. Think it's for last year, but you may be able to gleam a contact from it:

[M2005] Phi Chi Initiation Oct 12
DENNIS ALAN PEACOCK DPEACOCK at UTMEM.EDU
Tue Oct 1 23:23:48 CDT 2002

Previous message: [M2005] Doxazosin
Next message: [M2005] FPSA Meeting...what is FAMILY MEDICINE???
Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT: PHI CHI INITIATION
WHEN: SATURDAY, OCTOBER 12
WHERE: NEW BALDAUR (THE PHI CHI HOUSE) 687 JEFFERSON AVE
TIME: DINNER - 7PM, CEREMONY ~ 8PM, AFTER PARTY - 10PM
HOW MUCH?: INITIATES (FREE - EXCEPT DUES), GUESTS - $8

Hello Class of 2005, I just wanted to take a minute of your time to let you
know about the Phi Chi Initiation Ceremony! We will have initiation this year
on Saturday, October 12. Dinner will start at 7pm and the initiation ceremony
will immediately follow that - Initiates must be here by 6:45 in order to fill
out the data forms, etc. DON'T WORRY - The ceremony is very nice and there is
no crazy hazing things or anything like an undergraduate fraternity. The Dues
are $150 and this covers the remaining 3 (or 4) years of your medical school
experience. You can pay all $150 this semester OR you can pay $100 this
semester and $50 next semester. $75 of these dues will go to the National
Chapter of Phi Chi and will make you a life-time member. ALSO, there will be a
party after initiation which should be a lot of fun - so invite your friends
to come even if they aren't going to join.

IMPORTANT: We will need to know that you are going to join by Thursday,
October 10 at 5pm so that we can let the caterers know. You may bring guests
to the dinner at $8/person and that must be paid by Thursday, October 10 as
well. Your guest will be able to attend dinner and then they may hang out
downstairs or come back after the ceremony. Please try your best to RSVP as
soon as possible. Below is some info on why Phi Chi is WORTH joining. I think
that it is a great opportunity!

RSVP TO THIS EMAIL OR JUST GIVE YOUR DUES TO YOUR RUSH CHAIRS
***EIMAN JAHANGIR OR SHANNON BEAL**** YOU CAN JUST PLACE CHECKS FOR GUESTS OR
DUES IN AN ENVELOPE AND PUT IT IN ONE OF THEIR BOXES BY OCTOBER 10TH!!!!!

******GOOD LUCK WITH EXAMS*******

Thanks,
Dennis Peacock, M3
President Phi Chi

BENEFITS OF PHI CHI!!!!!

Unlike undergraduate fraternities, membership is open to ALL medical students.

*Many opportunities for advice from upperclassmen and their experiences

*Strong alumni support nationally and locally (i.e. your Attending physicians
may be Phi Chi alumni)

*Bi-monthly fraternity-wide dinners at the house

*Leadership Opportunities and many opportunities to get involved

*Socialize with upperclassmen and Residents.

*Lifetime Membership

*Stay at one of the other 11 chapter houses when on Away Rotations (i.e.
Seattle, New Orleans, etc)

*Opportunity for a FREE trip to our annual National Conference (Galveston, TX
- 2003, St. Maarten – 2004, Michigan - 2005)

*The National Phi Chi Chapter offers low interest loans to help with extra 4th
year costs or Emergencies

*Helps promote a positive med school experience! Med School Can Be Fun!

*Phi Chi members hold prominent positions in almost every organization on
campus and can help fellow members get involved.

Dennis A. Peacock
687 Jefferson Ave
Memphis, TN 38105

Thanks for the info but so far I still havent been able to reach anyone regarding the housing issue. None of the emails used on the listserv work and the website is DOA.

Hey,
I know this probably doesn't matter all that much, but I was just curious. Has anybody heard about email address for school, or the questionnares that we are supposed to fill out. I am starting to feel like school is starting soon (even though we have a month left) and I am not prepared. I am just starting to freak a little bit, but I hope I am not the only one.

kjmtthws said:
Hey,
I know this probably doesn't matter all that much, but I was just curious. Has anybody heard about email address for school, or the questionnares that we are supposed to fill out. I am starting to feel like school is starting soon (even though we have a month left) and I am not prepared. I am just starting to freak a little bit, but I hope I am not the only one.

I haven't heard anything about email addresses, but a link to the questionnaire is about halfway up this page. It's WhatUpDoc's post with the subject MSQ.

Hey y'all! Hope everyone is enjoying the summer. One of my best friends just bought a house on the island and he is looking for a roomate. In the event that one of you doesn't have housing settled yet, PM me and I can give you some additional info about it. He's a great guy and the house is really nice and close to campus.

Its my last day at work suckas!!! I am so excited/nervous/ready. Will be in Memphis on July 25th and will be sitting on a barstool that night around 10:00 pm at The Flying Saucer. Anybody want to join, I would love to meet you and toast to our impending career move.

where are the financial aid packets? the website said they should have arrived mid-may. every other school i was accepted to sent aid packets out in early may. from what i hear from current ut students this will be the first of many botched tasks during our time in memphis due to the incompetency of the current ut administration.

emac said:
where are the financial aid packets? the website said they should have arrived mid-may. every other school i was accepted to sent aid packets out in early may. from what i hear from current ut students this will be the first of many botched tasks during our time in memphis due to the incompetency of the current ut administration.

I got all my fin.aid info the third week of june...maybe you should contact the office there and find out what the hold up is?

emac said:

I have called all summer. Every week it's a different story. As of this week, I was told to simply arrive in Memphis and stop by the Financial aid office to sign the paperwork in person.

I hope this helps.

AndiLeigh said:
I have called all summer. Every week it's a different story. As of this week, I was told to simply arrive in Memphis and stop by the Financial aid office to sign the paperwork in person.

I hope this helps.

Well, at least those of us coming from the UT system are used to this kind of stuff. Good luck with all the fin aid stuff guys, it's enough of a headache without delays from the administration.

In other news, I'm officially seven days out from moving. I've got waaaay too much to do this week. See you guys soon!

kjmtthws said:
Its my last day at work suckas!!! I am so excited/nervous/ready.

Yeah, today marks the last day of the last trivial job I will ever have :eek: :p Got about 2 weeks to just kick it and chill, and then the joiurney begins. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their final days of freedom. Don't hold back, this is all we got for a long time coming :thumbup:

I think everyone should be able to put their name in the people search and find their net ID. The initial password is set to "1st two letters of you birth month, followed by last two numbers of your birth year, followed by the last four digits of your SSN." (i.e. if you were born in October, 1980 and your SSN is 123-45-6789, then your password is "oc806789") You can change the password once you log-in. I haven't had any success with logging into the webmail system, but then again, the orientation page hasn't been updated yet either :rolleyes:

well, I've quit receiving email at my utk address, but I can't login to the utmem system yet either. I'm in email limbo. :mad:

CaptainDave said:
well, I've quit receiving email at my utk address, but I can't login to the utmem system yet either. I'm in email limbo. :mad:
same same

Well, looks like the long awaited updates have finally found their way to the orientation page. You can set-up your e-mail accounts at the following site: http://exchange.utmem.edu. Just use your NetID and your default password is the same format as I posted above (except the first letter is capitalized in your birth month). Should be about 9 e-mails waiting for ya when you log in, so now we can all feel official :p

WhatUpDoc! said:
Well, looks like the long awaited updates have finally found their way to the orientation page. You can set-up your e-mail accounts at the following site: http://exchange.utmem.edu. Just use your NetID and your default password is the same format as I posted above (except the first letter is capitalized in your birth month). Should be about 9 e-mails waiting for ya when you log in, so now we can all feel official :p

Thanks Bro (or Bro'ette)!

WhatUpDoc! said:
Anybody going to register (a.k.a. turn in your fee sheets) or get your ID badge Monday?

I will be down there on Monday morning to get parking situated and get the ID badge made.

BSEMD said:
I will be down there on Monday morning to get parking situated and get the ID badge made.
Just an FYI, they will let us take the pictures, but will not hand out hte ID badges until orientation starts

SSchulenb said:
Just an FYI, they will let us take the pictures, but will not hand out hte ID badges until orientation starts

Yep, I've heard that. Just trying to get as much situated before the actual orientation begins as is possible. Thanks for the heads up though!

BSEMD said:
Yep, I've heard that. Just trying to get as much situated before the actual orientation begins as is possible. Thanks for the heads up though!

I'll be there too. Anyone else getting their coat fitted this week? I hear it saves a lot of time during orientation.

CaptainDave said:
I'll be there too. Anyone else getting their coat fitted this week? I hear it saves a lot of time during orientation.

I've heard that it makes for one less line to stand in during the orientation week. Seems worth it to me. :)

I did the ID card and the coat yesterday. Can we take care of parking or anything else this week?

CaptainDave said:
I did the ID card and the coat yesterday. Can we take care of parking or anything else this week?

I went today and took care of the id card photo and white coat. The campus police said that our parking permits would be handed out at orientation. So I guess we have to wait on that. We can park in a few different lots during orientation without a decal.

surebreC said:
Where did you get the white coat fitted?

at Landau Uniforms. It's on the corner of Madison and Pauline.

Hey guys

I spoke to Diane Harris today and she told me a couple of things that we should check on ASAP.

1. It would behoove everyone to call their lenders and make sure that your monies will be available for disbursment. 9 times out or 10 it will be but it never hurts to be sure.

2. If you have not signed your fee sheet, check to determine if parking fees were added. If parking fees were not included on the fee sheet, we will be responsible of paying the $90 per semester fee! So have your checkbooks ready on the day we register. I was told if you have already signed the fee sheet, parking fees could not be added. :eek:

So from one classmate to another, call your lender and be ready to take care of your parking fees if financial aid failed to include them on your fee sheet.