USYD MD 2019 (Canadians)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pacificnorthwest

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't seen a thread for those accepted into the Sydney Medical School commencing in Jan 2019 on these forums so I thought I'd make an account.

Has any Canadian accepted their offer? Still thinking about it?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I haven't seen a thread for those accepted into the Sydney Medical School commencing in Jan 2019 on these forums so I thought I'd make an account.

Thanks.

Hi I got accepted but still thinking about it. How about you? What are your thoughts on going away as an IMG?

Hi I got accepted but still thinking about it. How about you? What are your thoughts on going away as an IMG?

I have read your previous posts and I share the same reservations. I haven't given myself a fair chance to get into cdn MD and US DO to take the offer. But then I am enticed by the fact that I will begin in Jan and that by all accounts it's a world class college.

Having said this, the hurdles that we have to run through as possible IMg scares the hell out of me.

I don't know .

Just going crazy thinking about it.

Typing on my phone so sorry for typos.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm still thinking of it as well. I'm now just comparing cost of living between the different Aus universities...

Difficulties of an IMG and staying in Aus for rural medicine is also scary, but I'm also excited to start to do something I finally love haha

Hi,

Thanks.
Hi I went to UBC and just recently accepted to the med program at USyd! This was my first cycle of applying and I was just attracted to the prospect of attending a great school with a very capable program. Do you know if there is a facebook group of some sort for this coming intake?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi I went to UBC and just recently accepted to the med program at USyd! This was my first cycle of applying and I was just attracted to the prospect of attending a great school with a very capable program. Do you know if there is a facebook group of some sort for this coming intake?

I attended UofT and am thinking about attending Usyd. The only thing swaying me the other way is that with a DO letter, I will have a somewhat decent shot at DO.

I don't know. I think we have 3 weeks to decide?

As for FB groups, I haven't seen one.

I attended UofT and am thinking about attending Usyd. The only thing swaying me the other way is that with a DO letter, I will have a somewhat decent shot at DO.

I don't know. I think we have 3 weeks to decide?

As for FB groups, I haven't seen one.

Yeah, I would think of DO, but I don't really have strong academic references (one of the things I will do differently in med school)

Btw, has anyone looked into the First Aid classes we need to take? I found one form St. Johns and its like $860 and its like 70 hours worth of classes. Not sure if that's the right one but based on its description, it covers all the listed topics in the USyd offer package.

Yeah, I would think of DO, but I don't really have strong academic references (one of the things I will do differently in med school)

Btw, has anyone looked into the First Aid classes we need to take? I found one form St. Johns and its like $860 and its like 70 hours worth of classes. Not sure if that's the right one but based on its description, it covers all the listed topics in the USyd offer package.

Damn. That's expensive. I'll look into this.

Been waiting for this thread to pop up cos it seems its all just for UQ. Lol guess I'm kinda intruding cos I'm not a Canadian

@XenoSed, I am 99.9% sure that it does not cost that much. Looking at australia's redcross website, it costs 155AUD (~150CAD) to get the first aid course done which covers the entire content list included in the "info on offers" document.
First Aid Training
^can check it out here but realistically they all should be around that price.

$860...is way too much.

I did the Red Cross one before I left, should be around ~125-150 CAD, or you can wait till you get to AUS to do it. Usually a bunch of first years do it together and get a group rate, it'll be about the same amount in AUD. Don't stress out about the First-Aid...long as you get it done sometime in a couple months before school starts.

If you're serious about accepting, more important to get your immunizations in order, as if you don't get serology/proof for that, you'll have to pay out of pocket for your shots in Aus.

I have read your previous posts and I share the same reservations. I haven't given myself a fair chance to get into cdn MD and US DO to take the offer. But then I am enticed by the fact that I will begin in Jan and that by all accounts it's a world class college.

Having said this, the hurdles that we have to run through as possible IMg scares the hell out of me.

I don't know .

Just going crazy thinking about it.

Typing on my phone so sorry for typos.

I'm so glad someone else is in the same boat as me! I was so excited about the Usyd acceptance but was super terrified about the thought of going to Aus and not being able to come back/stay in Aus.

Honestly, the only reason I'm considering USyd is because of the world class ranking (which apparently is top 25 in 2017). I've never applied to a canadian school because my MCAT CARs is really low. My overall GPA and extracurricular activities are quite competitive though which is why part of me feels like if I can pass the MCAT I can get a fair chance in Canada... I'm considering re-writing the MCAT but then again, how much higher can I get if I've already written it 4 times?! I'm terrified either way...

You mentioned you considered the US DO schools.. may I ask how going to US is different from going to Aus? In terms of coming back to Canada wouldn't you still be considered IMG?

Also, you mentioned DO letter.. what exactly is that?

If you have written the MCAT 4 times, and it is still not competitive for Canada...I doubt you'll ever be competitive for Canada. Soon as you leave Canada/US and go to school abroad, your MAIN goal to come back to North America is to get US Residency and not Canadian. As there is n times more residencies in the states, way easier to match to something other then just FM etc.

USDO requires a lower MCAT then MD programs in Canada or US. You wouldn't be coming back to Canada after USDO, although you could and you would be considered in the R1 match like canadian grads in some provinces (but looks like that climate is changing). You would match in the states, the match rates are high as high as USMD with considering the osteo match (although with the merge, the stats might be changing a bit). You would do your residency in the states, and possibly transition back to Canada if you really want to come back, although why not just stay in the states then?

If you have written the MCAT 4 times, and it is still not competitive for Canada...I doubt you'll ever be competitive for Canada. Soon as you leave Canada/US and go to school abroad, your MAIN goal to come back to North America is to get US Residency and not Canadian. As there is n times more residencies in the states, way easier to match to something other then just FM etc.

USDO requires a lower MCAT then MD programs in Canada or US. You wouldn't be coming back to Canada after USDO, although you could and you would be considered in the R1 match like canadian grads in some provinces (but looks like that climate is changing). You would match in the states, the match rates are high as high as USMD with considering the osteo match (although with the merge, the stats might be changing a bit). You would do your residency in the states, and possibly transition back to Canada if you really want to come back, although why not just stay in the states then?

Thanks for your response. What else does DO schools look at? Are they similar in requirements to canadian schools in the application process? I heard in order to apply to the states you need to have shadowed a Dr. Is this what pacificnorthwest was mentioning above?

Also, is there a difference in MD vs DO?

Shadowing is a requirement for some schools, some even require specifically a letter from a DO. To get that, you'll probably have to travel down the states to get a letter, although most DOs are pretty cool with it, they know what you are after and will gladly write a letter after a shadowing visit or two.

The requirements are similar, you need certain pre-reqs for some (basic science courses), I suggest going to the DO part of this forum and checking out the requirements yourself. They are expensive as well, usually cost just as much or very similar to attending USyd. Life expenses may differ obviously as DO schools tend to be a bit more regional/rural.

I am not going to write an essay on the differences between an MD and DO. Obviously the name implies they are differences, you end up with a DO degree and not an MD. There are certain stimgas that may or may not be attached to that, depending on how you look at it. DOs tend to slightly favor primary care specialities more. There is an osteopathic component, that is basically in the name, so you have to be OK with that. Other things also apply, but you basically end up with the same privledges as an MD degree.

Reactions: 1 user