USUHS vs. KCUMB (KC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KCUMB (KC) vs USUHS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenji8521

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been fortunate enough to receive acceptances at KCUMB(KC) and USUHS. However, I am having a hard time deciding between them. What are your thoughts?
KCU MB
Pros:
  1. In the Midwest. I'm from the Midwest.
  2. Tuition is reasonable
  3. P/F/Honors system
  4. Excellent Match statistics every year
  5. Students seemed happy (is this true in your experience?)
  6. OMM is kept at a minimum.
  7. In general, I really liked the school when I went there for a campus tour as well as Kansas City.
  8. I would have the opportunity to serve some of the sickest patient populations in our country.
Cons:
  1. Tough curriculum
  2. Rumored scheduling issues
  3. The hassle of taking both COMLEX and USMLE
  4. Not sure how step 1 going p/f will affect the school
  5. Limited Research opportunity? (but a lot of students from KCU work with UMKC and KU research groups)

USUHS:
Pros:
1. P/F curriculum
2. Excellent match statistics
3. Free tuition
4. I don't have an issue with the 7-year service commitment.
5. During the campus visit, I felt it was a very collaborative environment and students seemed to be happy.
6. Lots of research opportunities.
7. Don't have to take 2 sets of board or deal with OMM at all

Cons:
1. Will have to constantly move (Although this is not something new for me it's still very challenging)
2. Pay is significantly lower in the long run (but I won't have student loans which was quite a bit when I checked on finaid.gov--roughly $600,000 will be paid back in 10 years)
3. Skill atrophy in some surgical specialties (At the moment, I am not too keen on pursuing surgical specialties but this might change. Currently, I am interested in internal medicine, anesthesiology, and radiology..not sure how skill atrophy affects these specialties.)
4. Won't have a chance to serve some of the sickest patient population (not sure if this is true)

Please let me know what are your thoughts. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Forgot to mention, but the cost of living in Bethesda is very high, while KC is very affordable. Also, if I end up going with USUHS, I will be losing the $2000 deposit + $200 deposit for the apartment in KC and the campus tour trip cost ($1000).

If you're fine with the service commitment, I don't see why you wouldn't go for USUHS.

Losing the deposit does not matter for this (nor does the tour trip).

Reactions: 1 users
If I would've gotten into USUHS, I would've gone. There was a reason you applied there. Evaluate those choices and trust your gut. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.