USN Interview Thougts and Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a call on the 12th of February from an unavailable number but there was no voice mail. The call was around 7:20 PM and I know Dr. Deyoung calls around the evening time. I didn't hear my cell phone ring but I am curious if it was him. What should I do?

Hi, I wish my next message will be congradulation for u:) . I guess you should call Dr. Deyoung directly and ask him during business days. His direct phone # is (702)968-2006. Let us know!!!! Good Luck:D
May I ask what yours stats are please?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I got a call on the 12th of February from an unavailable number but there was no voice mail. The call was around 7:20 PM and I know Dr. Deyoung calls around the evening time. I didn't hear my cell phone ring but I am curious if it was him. What should I do?
Hi, I wish my next message will be congradulation for u:) . I guess you should call Dr. Deyoung directly and ask him during business days. His direct phone # is (702)968-2006. Let us know!!!! Good Luck:D
May I ask what yours stats are please?

Thanks

Guys, Did any of you have an interview on Saturday, Jan. 20th? If any interviwer on this date got an acceptance, will u please share your stats? My stats are, 4.0 science and overall, pre-reqs done, no bachelors.
I'm not happy about my interview, but I answered all Qs and took 20 min total. Also please evaluate what my chances are!!! (First choice was Henderson Campus)
Thanks alot:) :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, Did any of you have an interview on Saturday, Jan. 20th? If any interviwer on this date got an acceptance, will u please share your stats? My stats are, 4.0 science and overall, pre-reqs done, no bachelors.
I'm not happy about my interview, but I answered all Qs and took 20 min total. Also please evaluate what my chances are!!! (First choice was Henderson Campus)
Thanks alot:) :thumbup:

What you having going for you is your 4.0 however that doesn't guarantee to you will get in if your interview didn't go well. I don't know if you are familiar with the admissions process of the point system....28pts overall GPA, 28pts Science GPA, 40pts interview. You got 56 pts for your 4.0gpa but how do you feel you scored on your interview out of 40 pts? My guess is as long as you didn't completely screw up in the interview, you'll be fine. I interviewed on February 20th as well but I haven't heard anything yet. I am guessing we will hear once all interviews are completed (March 31st I think). Correct me if there are future interviews scheduled. So early April. Hang in there.

If you are wondering my stats are:
3.67GPA
Work in pharmacy 5+ years
Volunteer at hospital pharmacy
Involved in extracurriculars at school
Felt really good about interview.

Good luck!

Ok so Monday I was on my lunchbreak talking to a friend when an incoming call from a "blocked number" came in. I told my friend I got to go! Its a blocked call!
So, I answered my phone all professionally in anticipation to here from Dr. DeYoung. I hear, "Hello, this is Dr. DeYoung from the University of Southern Nevada College of Pharmacy"... and then we got disconnected!
I was like, "Oh crap, oh crap, I just hung up on Dr. DeYoung" pacing back and forth outside of Walgreens waiting for him to call back.
A couple minutes later I hadn't gotten a call back so I ran back to the pharmacy to tell another USN applicant what had just happen.
At this point I was just freaking out telling her, "Oh my gosh, I think I just got accepted!!! I hung up on Dr. DeYoung!!"
I am still pacing back and forth then ran to the breakroom to wait a couple more minutes for his call.
She followed me in to the breakroom.
She told me, "Calm down, I *67 the call to make it blocked and that was me calling you."

How messed up is that!!!!
lol:laugh:

Ok so Monday I was on my lunchbreak talking to a friend when an incoming call from a "blocked number" came in. I told my friend I got to go! Its a blocked call!
So, I answered my phone all professionally in anticipation to here from Dr. DeYoung. I hear, "Hello, this is Dr. DeYoung from the University of Southern Nevada College of Pharmacy"... and then we got disconnected!
I was like, "Oh crap, oh crap, I just hung up on Dr. DeYoung" pacing back and forth outside of Walgreens waiting for him to call back.
A couple minutes later I hadn't gotten a call back so I ran back to the pharmacy to tell another USN applicant what had just happen.
At this point I was just freaking out telling her, "Oh my gosh, I think I just got accepted!!! I hung up on Dr. DeYoung!!"
I am still pacing back and forth then ran to the breakroom to wait a couple more minutes for his call.
She followed me in to the breakroom.
She told me, "Calm down, I *67 the call to make it blocked and that was me calling you."

How messed up is that!!!!
lol:laugh:

Wait...so your coworker (female) called you pretending to be Dr. DeYoung (male) ?!?! Wow, you have a great sense of humor, I would have been pissed! :smuggrin:

Wait...so your coworker (female) called you pretending to be Dr. DeYoung (male) ?!?! Wow, you have a great sense of humor, I would have been pissed! :smuggrin:

Yeah, I would have believed a 6 year old was Dr. DeYoung at that point. I was so excited! lol

Yeah, I would have believed a 6 year old was Dr. DeYoung at that point. I was so excited! lol

Very Nice and Funnyyyy Story:D

Thanks for sharing ur stats, Hopefully both of us will here soon
Did u have a bachelors degree?

By the way I'm sorry for my spelling mistake, "hear":p

Celinati,

I was interviewed on the same date as you did, and heard back on Feb 12. I thought I answered my questions very well, and my interviewers were very nice to me. My stats is very similar to yours, 4.0 overall and prerequisites, and I completed all my prerequisites. I will receive my B.S. this Spring from my university.

Celinati,

I was interviewed on the same date as you did, and heard back on Feb 12. I thought I answered my questions very well, and my interviewers were very nice to me. My stats is very similar to yours, 4.0 overall and prerequisites, and I completed all my prerequisites. I will receive my B.S. this Spring from my university.

Thanks Alot:) for sharing your info and stats, Congradulationssssss!!!!:D :)
Hope I hear from them as well soon. Pray for me!:rolleyes:
I'm so nervous. Does anybody know someone who already got in With No Bachelors Degree?

Thanks Alot:) for sharing your info and stats, Congradulationssssss!!!!:D :)
Hope I hear from them as well soon. Pray for me!:rolleyes:
I'm so nervous. Does anybody know someone who already got in With No Bachelors Degree?

I got accepted a couple of weeks ago....not bachelor's and interviewed on 1/20.

Stats:
applied with a 4.0, but went down a bit after Fall
1 year pharm experience, and another year of EMT

I got accepted a couple of weeks ago....not bachelor's and interviewed on 1/20.

Stats:
applied with a 4.0, but went down a bit after Fall
1 year pharm experience, and another year of EMT

Congradulations John , Best Wishes 4 U:) :D
Hopefully I'll get an acceptance:rolleyes:
Thanks for sharing the stats!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congradulations John , Best Wishes 4 U:) :D
Hopefully I'll get an acceptance:rolleyes:
Thanks for sharing the stats!!!

You'll be fine. Don't worry. Focus on your day to day things. Trust me it helps. I was thinking and obsessing about it daily before and it didn't get me anywhere. You'll hear from him when you least expect it. We have plenty of time. Let me ask: is this the only school you interviewed at?

I do not have a bachelor degree but I am confident I will get in without it.

I just got a call from Dr. Deyoung! I've tried calling him back like 3 times, and I keep getting his voice mail. Since I don't answer my phone when I don't know the number, I think it's kind of pointless to tell him to call me back. I don't know why else he would call unless to tell me I've gotten in, but then again, I'm always so pessismistic. Then, I've got to take two pre-reqs over the summer, and I'm sure that they won't end until August 11th. Someone on a different thread said that USN needs the official transcripts by August 11th. Actually I don't even know if both of the pre-reqs will be offered by my school over the summer, so I may even have to go to a different school. They're major pre-reqs too: A&P II and Ochem 2. So I've really got to talk to Dr. Deyoung about this. I am just so shocked right now. I don't know what to do. And I've got to go to class right now!

I also got a call from Dr. Deyoung today around 3:15. USN is my first choice. I am so happy. Good luck to all of u who are waiting. :love: :love: :love:

I also got a call from Dr. Deyoung today around 3:15. USN is my first choice. I am so happy. Good luck to all of u who are waiting. :love: :love: :love:

What are your stats? If you don't mind. Congrats!

I got in without a degree so perhaps they don't care too much about it..?

what are your stats may i ask? I want to know where i stand. Haven't heard anything yet. :(

I got accepted!!! I actually ended up driving over there (I live about 5 minutes away) because I just couldn't stand not knowing for sure. He said Dr. Fan liked my interview! I cannot believe it because I thought I did not do so well. I was just so nervous and I couldn't come up with a conflict I had with my co-workers or anyone at school (I ended up telling them about how I deal with conflicts with patients). I so cannot believe this-- USN was the only school I applied to. I wasn't even going to apply to it because I thought they needed all the classes done by spring, but they do accept pre-reqs in the summer.

My stats:
overall GPA: 3.9
science GPA: 4.0
B.A Telecommunications
Pre-reqs that I still need: Ochem I & Ochem 2, A&P 2, Speech
Thought I didn't do so well on the interview, but they were impressed!

Even though I received the unknown call on the 12th of February, I don't want to call his office and bug him and ask him if he called me or not. Because if he didn't, I don't want to look like a pest. But I am really curious to know if it was him because the call was in the evening.

People who were interviewed on Jan 17th and who got call from De Young, could you all tell me if everyone's first choice henderson campus?l

My interview was on the Jan 17, and my 1st choice is Henderson campus. MY stats are:
overall: 3.8
science: 3.9
pharmacy shadowing exp., tutoring, ...
B.S. expecting in May
completed all the prerequesites.

Good luck everybody!!!!

just wondering, what is the deadline for sending in the deposit before losing your seat?

just wondering, what is the deadline for sending in the deposit before losing your seat?

I was told by Dr. Deyoung that it is 15 days after you receive the official acceptance packet in the mail.

My interview was on the Jan 17, and my 1st choice is Henderson campus. MY stats are:
overall: 3.8
science: 3.9
pharmacy shadowing exp., tutoring, ...
B.S. expecting in May
completed all the prerequesites.

Good luck everybody!!!!

Thanks for the info.. Anyone else who chose henderson?

I also chose the Henderson campus.

when does Dr. DeYoung call in the bulk of the aceptances?
i have an interview on March 30 and was contemplating of not going if I got accepted to USN.

I thought Dr. Deyoung said that most people will be called in April--they're just calling the people right now whose scores are above a certain point where it's definite that they got in. When they're done interviewing people, they'll take a look at everyone's scores and lower the threshold. They may even feel a need to interview more people if the admission committee feels the scores are not high enough. But they should decide this in early April so they can have more interview dates throughout April. I'd say that they latest you will get called is late April/early May.

Hey all,

I just got an e-mail today from USN inviting me in for an interview on March 31. I am so excited. Can you give me some pointers as to what to expect in the interview? I know there are alot who have interviewed already.

I was at dinner for my brother-in-laws birthday and my 13 year old son called to tell my someone from USN had called my cell phone (which my son had). I came home and yes on my answering machine was another message from Dr. DeYoung, so at 9:15 mountain time I called him back, (NV is pacific time). I am in. Best birthday dinner I ever attended!!!

I was at dinner for my brother-in-laws birthday and my 13 year old son called to tell my someone from USN had called my cell phone (which my son had). I came home and yes on my answering machine was another message from Dr. DeYoung, so at 9:15 mountain time I called him back, (NV is pacific time). I am in. Best birthday dinner I ever attended!!!

WoWWW!!!!! CongradSSSSSSS Sir!!!:)
U made it!!! Will u please share your stats?
Thanks Alot;) :D
Best Wishesss:thumbup:

I took academic forgiveness b/c it had been 13 years since I was in school. So only my pre-reqs were looked at. (I have an A.S. (math) and enough credits to be a senior, but only the pre-reqs I have taken to be able to apply for the U of Utah and USN were looked at.

I have a 4.0 overall gpa.

It is a relief to have an acceptance.

Good Luck

I took academic forgiveness b/c it had been 13 years since I was in school. So only my pre-reqs were looked at. (I have an A.S. (math) and enough credits to be a senior, but only the pre-reqs I have taken to be able to apply for the U of Utah and USN were looked at.

I have a 4.0 overall gpa.

It is a relief to have an acceptance.

Good Luck

Congratulation.That might have been so pleasantl and wonderful news. Could you tell me whether your choice was henderson ro South jordan campus?

South Jordan campus, I live about 30 minutes south in Provo.

In your guy's opinions, what do you feel are the pros/cons of the 3 year programs? Any responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

In your guy's opinions, what do you feel are the pros/cons of the 3 year programs? Any responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

pros
- one less year:)
- USN & Pacific U(both three year programs) have the block curriculum which I think is awesome!:)

cons
- most 3 year programs haven't been around that long and are private so there is some bias towards the state/research institutions
- less time to work as an intern on the side cause of being busier than you'd likely be in a 4 year program

one other thought is the cost. 3 year private schools cost more than the state schools if you are a state resident. However since you are in school one less year you can make that up if you live frugally for a while after graduating and pay down the debt quickly:)

I am just torn between USN and U of Colorado/U of Arizona. It's funny because I haven't been accepted yet but I am still assuming I will get into more than one school. I need to wait to hear from all schools to make the decision although it is really easy to get ahead of myself. Anyone else feel this way?

I talked to one of the pharmacists yesterday about 3 year vs. 4 year schools and he was kind of like you shouldn't rush your education kind of thing. I just realized that you are only in school for 2 years then thrown into your rotations. Oh well, I'm sure USN knows what they're doing. 97% passed their boards. I need to stop analyzing.

I am just torn between USN and U of Colorado/U of Arizona. It's funny because I haven't been accepted yet but I am still assuming I will get into more than one school. I need to wait to hear from all schools to make the decision although it is really easy to get ahead of myself. Anyone else feel this way?

I talked to one of the pharmacists yesterday about 3 year vs. 4 year schools and he was kind of like you shouldn't rush your education kind of thing. I just realized that you are only in school for 2 years then thrown into your rotations. Oh well, I'm sure USN knows what they're doing. 97% passed their boards. I need to stop analyzing.

If you are a resident of Arizona and you get the state cost of tuition then I can certainly understand how hard the decision would be. If it came down to Colorado though and you have to pay the non-resident price for four years then if I were you I would likely lean towards USN.

Everyone has different reasons for choosing what they choose. For me the 3 year block curriculum program seemed the best fit and so that is where I am headed!

I see you live in Phoenix and I am wondering why Midwestern CPG isn't on your list?

If you are a resident of Arizona and you get the state cost of tuition then I can certainly understand how hard the decision would be. If it came down to Colorado though and you have to pay the non-resident price for four years then if I were you I would likely lean towards USN.

Everyone has different reasons for choosing what they choose. For me the 3 year block curriculum program seemed the best fit and so that is where I am headed!

I see you live in Phoenix and I am wondering why Midwestern CPG isn't on your list?

I would only pay out-of-state tuition for one year so it's not go bad. Midwestern didn't give me an interview probably because of my PCAT scores although U of A decided they were ok enough to put me on their alternate list. We'll find out who accepts me first because I analyze everything. Thanks for your input.:)

I had my interview on jan 20th .. i didnt attend it on jan 17th as it was my 21st b'day...:D

I got my admission call in feb 1sdt week and my I20 mailed to me in March 1st week
i am in my last semester of my bachelors degree in pharmacy in INDIA and will be getting my bachelors degree my may 07..

Since i have done my course work out of USA very few colleges accept me into the Pharm D program as many Humanities pre reqs r missing and also they dont accept international course work..

USN is on colg that accepts people form international UNIVS so it is one of my top priorities.

My intervew went really well.. I must say they were really impressed..I have one more colg of higher priority than USN which is NOVA which has a 2 yr 4 month post bacheluarate degree so in case i dont get into NOVA at Ftlauderdale i will be at the nevada campus from fall 2007.

I was asked though to take Eng compostitiom I , speech and calculus I prereqs in he summer before i enroll.. I am still in discussioin abt my Calculus I pre req and in a discussion with Dr deyoung whether to take it or not,,

I guess the summer time shud be enough to complete the 3 pre reqs.. what do u all think.. pleas reply

I would only pay out-of-state tuition for one year so it's not go bad. Midwestern didn't give me an interview probably because of my PCAT scores although U of A decided they were ok enough to put me on their alternate list. We'll find out who accepts me first because I analyze everything. Thanks for your input.:)

I didn't realize the state of Colorado allowed that. If so then yeah that is a pretty good deal for you and again would certainly make your decision a tough one

Best wishes once again to you and yours:)

I have an interview scheduled for March 28 and I would greatly greatly appreciate if those who have already gone through it could help me

First of all, about how many questions were asked?

And was the feedback forum on SDN really helpful? Did a lot of the questions overlap? If not, what are some other areas to bear in mind?

Were there a lot of pharmacy-related and current news questions? Or were more questions about your character? (compassion, professionalism, leadership, etc)?

Thanks in advance for those willing to help me out!
=)

i hav chosen utah south jordan campus and sent my acceptance letter.. al though u may think i sent it a bit late.. i got a 10 day extension from dr deyoung.....

i choe utah cos of cost of living mainly... althogh i may miss ou in nevadas student clubs.. even utah is comin up with many..

and another reason though silly is that heard utah campus has a ping pong table and i luv it and a, pretty gud at it...so will have some thing to do for passing time in colg

you and me both. I chose the Utah campus too cos of the cost of living. I'm currently looking for an apartment in West Jordan. I love playing ping-pong. There is a ping pong table in henderson too.