USMLEWorld support group..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DebDynamite

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The aphoristic language is driving me nuts.

Granted I do take most of my tests at the end of the day, falling asleep, drooling, glazing over "administer adrenaline" and spacing that they mean "give epi"--

But when I miss primary ED because they state "nocturnal penile tumescence" instead of, "do you still get an erection at night?" Agggg!!! AAGGGGhhhh!!!

I'm changing my user name to "Nocturnal Penile Tunescence". That is all.

Members don't see this ad.

UW is not fun, but it is the way I learn best. I am about 15% through and started out doing poorly but have slowly began to creep up from 45% (must have been a fluke but only 20 questions) to 58, 58 and 60 on the last three tests with an average of 56% overall. If I can keep this up I will feel fine for the real thing but I want to walk into the real thing having averaged at least in the mid-60's on my last few tests. I will likely do the NBME tests to see where I lye as well.

I have to say though it was painful, USMLE world was the way to go. And I don't think the final percentages necessarily correlate with the your actual score, unless you're hitting >75% on timed mode doing 46 question blocks.

I think I had a 58% average or something really embarrassingly low on world, but I kept at it, did it every day and did about 80% of it over 3 weeks. Beat the nat'l average on step II considerably, and I'm the world's most average standardized test taker, ever, no joke, think I got average on every shelf, step I, MCAT, my driver's license test, my eye exam and those quizes on "tickle" about how well you can match your shoes to your lipstick. EVERYTHING.

So I'm a UW fanatic and I'm writing them a letter of gratitude. Kaplan was not that good for me for Step I.

I had a problem with a UW question the other day. Basically the question described a sickle cell patient with obvious osteomyelitis and asked what the most common cause was. I answered Staph aureus, but the correct answer given was Salmonella. I remember repeatedly being taught and pimped on the fact that even though Salmonella is common in SC pts, S. aureus is actually the most common cause.

Anyone care to help me out here? Which answer is right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a problem with a UW question the other day. Basically the question described a sickle cell patient with obvious osteomyelitis and asked what the most common cause was. I answered Staph aureus, but the correct answer given was Salmonella. I remember repeatedly being taught and pimped on the fact that even though Salmonella is common in SC pts, S. aureus is actually the most common cause.

according to Goljan---> S. aureus
according to UWorld--> Salmonella

it was killing me the morning of the exam and whaddya know it was on my 1st block!
oh well flip a coin

My first instinct was Salmonella. Weird. I guess it's not black and white but that was my knee jerk response.

According to emedicine:

...Although Staphylococcus aureus is the most common cause of osteomyelitis in the general population, studies have shown that in patients with sickle cell disease the relative incidence of Salmonella osteomyelitis is twice that of staphylococcal infection.

According to emedicine:

...Although Staphylococcus aureus is the most common cause of osteomyelitis in the general population, studies have shown that in patients with sickle cell disease the relative incidence of Salmonella osteomyelitis is twice that of staphylococcal infection.

yeah that's right. secrets had that too. i think it was on my test too :p

According to emedicine:

hmmm, good to know because I have also always been told that Staph is still most common in sicklers....
just to add to the UW b*tchfest...i got a question wrong yesterday about a teenage girl who's pregnant and wants contraception and i answered "give it to her and ask her to tell her mother" because UW said you should "encourage" them to tell their parents, not "ask"
ARRRRRRRGGGHHHH!!! :mad:

hmmm, good to know because I have also always been told that Staph is still most common in sicklers....
just to add to the UW b*tchfest...i got a question wrong yesterday about a teenage girl who's pregnant and wants contraception and i answered "give it to her and ask her to tell her mother" because UW said you should "encourage" them to tell their parents, not "ask"
ARRRRRRRGGGHHHH!!! :mad:

I got one wrong about a minor wanting an abortion. The question asked who was needed to give consent: the minor's parents, the minor, the boyfriend, yourself, the coach. I debated between the parents and the minor for a while and chose the parents. The correct answer was the minor. In the state of Michigan, however, the law states that any minor wanting an abortion must have consent from the parents. :mad:

to the above 2 posters: i remember being really frustrated at the UW ethics questions as well. sometimes you should pull the plug, sometimes not, sometimes go to the wife, sometimes ethics committee, sometimes court. really frustrating. good thing is i didn't have a single ethics question on the step II. i probably did but the fact that i don't remember one is good right? meaning it was so ridiculously easy it was answered in 12 sec and glossed over. don't worry too much about the ethics stuff on UW.

I got one wrong about a minor wanting an abortion. The question asked who was needed to give consent: the minor's parents, the minor, the boyfriend, yourself, the coach. I debated between the parents and the minor for a while and chose the parents. The correct answer was the minor. In the state of Michigan, however, the law states that any minor wanting an abortion must have consent from the parents. :mad:

hmm really? that's annoying if you are from Michigan and using those laws...everywhere else tho, it's the minor

So apparently even my boards exams are driving me towards cynicism....

"17 year old female 'claims' to not be sexually active and claims not to do any recreational drugs'......

As if the spastic scoring wasn't enough.

Nothing like UW to make you feel on top of the world one moment ~91% then promptly followed by 40%. Both random questions. WTF!

Going back to the question bank. Only three more days to go and then I'm taking the darn thing come hell or high water. OK thanks all for the rant space.

I'm taking it Friday and I also can't wait to be done. Planning a nice outing at the local bar afterward. :hardy:

Ditto on that one.

Ah medical school: where you learn just how bad alcohol is for you but still continue to use it as a copping mechanism/celebratory reward :D

USMLEWorld is WELL worth the money to say the very least.
As it has been pointed out, it is perhaps THE most cost-effective resource there is for Step 2 CK out there.
I strongly suggest you buy it and start doing the questions ASAP rather than spending your time looking to freeload somewhere.
Sorry if I come across as blunt.
All the best for your prep.

Wow.

Interesting to see that the support group lives on. Months after starting this thread, I must concur that doing all of those questions was a bear, it was completely worth the extra cash spent. If I were a gunner, I would have worked it twice. It helped with CK, no doubt. I have less indigestion over the extra money for World, than the bazillion dollars, time, energy and neuron space taken up for CS. If I could give USMLEWorld $1200 to sit for that backwards, insulting, ridonkulous thing I certainly would.

not that this is the thread for moaning about CS- it's a beautiful day here anyway and I'm a senior. I'm taking my dog on a hike. I don't have to think about CK anymore, and it's partly beacuse I did world. Good luck to all.