USMLE World Self-Assessment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clemson Doc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the USMLE World Self-Assessment exam? I purchased it along with their question bank, and am curious to know how well it seems to correlate with performance on the actual Step 2 CK exam.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I took it a couple weeks ago but am still studying and haven't taken the real thing. It seems like most people are scoring lower on the UW SA than they are on the NBME tests and the real thing. I did see one person who had scored in the 250's on the UW SA and the real step 2 ck within the same week. So it appears to be pretty close if not maybe a little bit of an under estimation.

I hope the USMLE World Self-Assessment an underestimation, because I just took it and it kicked my butt. I guessed a lot (and was obviously wrong a lot). Ugh.

got a 207 on the UW assessment. Was disappointed becuase i thought i was finally getting a hang of it. Got 213 on NBME form 2 the next day. So if i were to take the real thing now, then i might end up around 213-220. That's still less than the 230 am aiming for.

I have so dam much riding on the exam after my step 1 (216/89), that i feel crazy and nervous about not getting the covetted 230 and up.

still have abt 30% to go on world with a 56% avg. I am going to focus on my weakness now and take another NBME later. My exam is on the 29. but first, i have to go take COMLEX in 12hrs..........oh, life is good:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Score not nearly as representative as it was for Step 1 and even then it was a bit low.

Last edited:
From the standpoint of learning, Is the simulation exam worth it? I use the Uworld Qbank, and am re-doing questions. My test is on the 22nd. Can I live without purchasing this exam? I ask because regardless of my score on any exam I MUST complete CK the 22nd (No time to complete it otherwise!). Are the questions much different than the Qbank questions? or, are they more of the same, testing the same concepts? Thanks,

From the standpoint of learning, Is the simulation exam worth it? I use the Uworld Qbank, and am re-doing questions. My test is on the 22nd. Can I live without purchasing this exam? I ask because regardless of my score on any exam I MUST complete CK the 22nd (No time to complete it otherwise!). Are the questions much different than the Qbank questions? or, are they more of the same, testing the same concepts? Thanks,

I don't think you need the USMLE World self-assessment exam. I had only done about 15% of World when I took the simulation exam, so it involved a lot of concepts I had not seen before. But I'm sure most of the concepts are covered somewhere in World. So to answer your question, I don't think you need the self-assessment. I would do some sort of diagnostic exam though, just to get some valuable feedback as to where you stand. I honestly don't think your performance on the World question bank is an accurate gauge - but an NBME exam is. :thumbup:

Is it better to do the self-assessment before you start studying, or during the middle one's progress. I'm still a couple months out from the exam, but I don't want to waste those questions.

I just took NBME 2, and my predicted score is 29 points higher than my predicted score from the USMLE World Self Assessment one week ago. :thumbup:

Fellas, I cannot stress enough that the UW self-assessment for step 2 is not very good. It tests a lot of concepts that aren't even mentioned in the UW question bank itself. Meanwhile, the step 2 CK actual exam tests a lot of concepts that can be found in the UW question bank. I do not recommend the UW self-assessment to anyone. I took the step 2 CK recently, and I'll tell you the best predictor of how you will do is how you did on your NBME shelf exams. I saw some of the very same questions on my CK, but a little easier and with shorter stems.

It is however, I believe, accurate for step 1.

hi everyone I am intending to take the step2 ck exam on the third of nov I have studied from the kaplan lecture notes sometimes their videos also I have finished the usmleworld with average score of 87% I took the self assessment i got 265 I just want somebody to tell me that should I take another few questions from other source like kaplan qbank and should i go back to the notes and any valuable advice I will be thankful I am IMG.

hi everyone I am intending to take the step2 ck exam on the third of nov I have studied from the kaplan lecture notes sometimes their videos also I have finished the usmleworld with average score of 87% I took the self assessment i got 265 I just want somebody to tell me that should I take another few questions from other source like kaplan qbank and should i go back to the notes and any valuable advice I will be thankful I am IMG.

You should be fine if your goal is a 270, but if you want to crack 280, you may want other resources :laugh:

Seriously, you're fine...............

Members don't see this ad :)
I took NBME 5 and UWorld SA for Step 2CK... they were within 3 points of each other.

I have also finished most of the UWorld qbank... and the SA does test some different concepts... some overlap.

Overall, UWorld is getting some competition from NBME because the last NBME exam will tell you what questions you answered incorrectly (and hence, you know which ones you got right) if you pay them $ 60 dollars for the new feedback exam (otherwise it costs $ 45 dollars).

Given that the UWorld SA is cheap if you buy it with the qbank... I would buy it again... I think it is worth the money. They definitely have some questions on that test that only 5 % get right!

Hmmm, I almost bought the self-assessment along with the Qbank, since it was only another $11, but it sounds like it would've been a waste anyways. It wouldn't really affect my plans either way - I'm just going to do as many UW questions as I can, and I did fine on Step 1, so I'm not planning on releasing my Step 2 scores anyways.

I took NBME 5 and UWorld SA for Step 2CK... they were within 3 points of each other.

I have also finished most of the UWorld qbank... and the SA does test some different concepts... some overlap.

Overall, UWorld is getting some competition from NBME because the last NBME exam will tell you what questions you answered incorrectly (and hence, you know which ones you got right) if you pay them $ 60 dollars for the new feedback exam (otherwise it costs $ 45 dollars).

Given that the UWorld SA is cheap if you buy it with the qbank... I would buy it again... I think it is worth the money. They definitely have some questions on that test that only 5 % get right!

I don't think there is an NBME 5. It's just NBME 4 with feedback.

can any one please tell me what is the best plan for revision during the last two days before taking step 2 ck.I was studing kaplan notes and uw questions
thanks

I hope there is very little correlation because i am getting SLAUGHTERED on world!!! This is a very humbling experience!!!

I found terrific correlation. I took UW self-assessment 15 days before the real deal. got 248. got 252 in step 2. in fact, i thought nbmes were way off on step 2. i could swear by nbme in step 1 and thought they'd never be wrong as it is essentially the same test. however, i scored 227 (3 wks out) and 234 (1.5 wks out). scared the hell out of me for sure