Usmle World Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope2bnmd!

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, yes indeed another dreaded post about the infamous step 3 exam that no one really cares about except to pass. mannn i got six months left of my transitional yr and can't i just enjoy em?? =) well i've been doing usmle world and scoring b/w 50%-60%. just wondering if that correlates to a passing step 3 score?? thanks. and for those already done with step 3==(u luckyy bastards!)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, yes indeed another dreaded post about the infamous step 3 exam that no one really cares about except to pass. mannn i got six months left of my transitional yr and can't i just enjoy em?? =) well i've been doing usmle world and scoring b/w 50%-60%. just wondering if that correlates to a passing step 3 score?? thanks. and for those already done with step 3==(u luckyy bastards!)

It depends upon exactly where you stand between 50-60. If you are averaging around 50, than I would say that you are cutting it real close and would have to outperform your usual when it comes time to take the test. In my experience, I would not rely on that because that usually adds extra pressure. However, some people tend to rise to the occasion and outperform.

I think the STEP 3 minimum passing score is 184. I am not sure what that correlates to but here are some recent Step 3 scores that I have heard of, including mine.

99/249 (510 NBME)
97/241
88/215
86/210
84/206 (430 on NBME)
83/203
80/197
77/191
77/190
75/184

If I had the USMLE WORLD correlates to the above I would probably be of more help.....sorry

All I can tell you is that, for me the 26 rule worked. That is take your average score after doing the entire USMLE WORLD ( without repeats!!!) and add 26, that will be your two-digit score.

Good luck

It depends upon exactly where you stand between 50-60. If you are averaging around 50, than I would say that you are cutting it real close and would have to outperform your usual when it comes time to take the test. In my experience, I would not rely on that because that usually adds extra pressure. However, some people tend to rise to the occasion and outperform.

I think the STEP 3 minimum passing score is 184. I am not sure what that correlates to but here are some recent Step 3 scores that I have heard of, including mine.

99/249 (510 NBME)
97/241
88/215
86/210
84/206 (430 on NBME)
83/203
80/197
77/191
77/190
75/184

If I had the USMLE WORLD correlates to the above I would probably be of more help.....sorry

All I can tell you is that, for me the 26 rule worked. That is take your average score after doing the entire USMLE WORLD ( without repeats!!!) and add 26, that will be your two-digit score.

Good luck

Thanks for that post, pureride! I wonder if the same holds true for the Kaplan Q-bank?

Good luck, hope2bnmd! :) I'm scheduled for Feb 2nd and 3rd. Yuk.

Good luck! Step3 is the hardest of the 3 IMO.

One bit of advice that was given to me and probably would have been great for steps 1 and 2 also is:

It's better to know everything about a topic than, a little about every topic.
What that means to me is, if you'll notice from your own experience as well as from what almost everyone says that, the hard questions can almost always be narrowed down to 2 choices. Then it boils down to knowing that sobject COLD, rather than just knowing a general overview of the subject.

What came up a lot of my step 3 was.
HTN management
COPD
DM (DKA)
PIH (ecclampsia.pre-ecclampsia)
ALS (yeah I know weird)
STROKE
lots of Family Medicine problems.

Know these..and the other BIG topics cold!.....Not just from Crush or first aid.....I read Harrison's or Wash manual for the big ones!

Good luck!