USMLE World Scores and Step II Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmh14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably been discussed before, but can't find a recent thread....

I'm just curious about what scores people were getting on USMLE World, and then how you ended up doing on Step 2.

All you have to do is post two numbers...... :)

Thanks folks, and good luck with everything!!

Members don't see this ad.

thanks alot. trying to understand what they wanna test us on. Always put things into perspective.

Have anyone used "Board and Wards (B&W), by Ayala and Spellberg for step 2 " couple of peers have suggested it and are using it as a main book. What do you guys think about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
2 weeks ago my CS scores were released 9am EST, got the email saying scores were out 8:59am EST... so I think it's safe to assume no scores today :(

yeah I am talking about CK scores, they usually release them on Wednesdays. I don't know if CS score release follow the pattern.

thanks alot. trying to understand what they wanna test us on. Always put things into perspective.

Have anyone used "Board and Wards (B&W), by Ayala and Spellberg for step 2 " couple of peers have suggested it and are using it as a main book. What do you guys think about it?

Honestly, I think you only need 3 sources for Step 2.

MTB Step 2, Step 2 Secrets, and UWORLD.

MTB isn't a perfect book, but it's great at giving you the right foundation to understand how to tackle specific complaints and how to approach Step 2 questions. It's missing some information, but that just simply means you need to make sure to do UWorld and go over answer explanations especially for topic not covered in MTB.

Step 2 Secrets is perfect for remembering the facts you need to know (particularly the week before the exam). Seriously, that book has practically everything you need to know knowledge-wise for Step 2.

UWorld is Uworld. I tried Kaplan QBank but got frustrated at the poor question quality and decided not to waste my time with it. Just do Uworld and don't complicate things.

Seems like the trend is most people do significantly better (x > 20 points) on S2 compared to S1. Have a friend I was telling CDI about who got a 210 on his S1 and ended up with a 230 on S2. I've been seeing this trend following the thread.

Well first off, the average on step 2 is 10+ points higher than step 1 (224 vs 237 in my experience). Let's account for that. Secondly, those who didn't do as hot on step 1 (likely < 240 (maybe 250 for SDN)), are going to put more time into studying than people who got > 250 on Step 1 (see the guy who dropped about 10 points on Step 2... he still got a 240+ on step 2).

So can people improve 10 points on whatever they would've gotten through rigorous studying? Definitely. I had a limited amount of time to take Step 1 and couldn't push it back even though I would have liked an additional 2 weeks or so. I had dedicated studying time for Step 2 but still pushed it back by about 4-5 days just to 1) finish up some more material and 2) not have to worry about what else I could have done. Thus, when I took the exam, I knew I had done all the studying that I had wanted to finish prior to taking the exam. I believe that helped me do better.

And for the record, I was a sub-par (for SDN) step 1 scorer who improved by 20+ points on step 2.

Well first off, the average on step 2 is 10+ points higher than step 1 (224 vs 237 in my experience). Let's account for that. Secondly, those who didn't do as hot on step 1 (likely < 240 (maybe 250 for SDN)), are going to put more time into studying than people who got > 250 on Step 1 (see the guy who dropped about 10 points on Step 2... he still got a 240+ on step 2).

So can people improve 10 points on whatever they would've gotten through rigorous studying? Definitely. I had a limited amount of time to take Step 1 and couldn't push it back even though I would have liked an additional 2 weeks or so. I had dedicated studying time for Step 2 but still pushed it back by about 4-5 days just to 1) finish up some more material and 2) not have to worry about what else I could have done. Thus, when I took the exam, I knew I had done all the studying that I had wanted to finish prior to taking the exam. I believe that helped me do better.

And for the record, I was a sub-par (for SDN) step 1 scorer who improved by 20+ points on step 2.

Thanks for this post. I'm happy with my score, but just want to do even better on step 2 compared to step 1. Having all this study time will be beneficial. However, I also want to pick up a research gig to improve my CV for match time. If I can score in the 265+ I'll be ecstatic. Seems like people are using MTB, FA, and UWorld for this. Thinking of going to my local Barnes 'n Noble and picking it up really quick.

FA??? I think that's the least used, and possibly even spreading to thin.

If the gameplan was nail selective resources for Step 1, it holds even more true for CK because of how much more valuable every run of UW is considering the strong correlation.

FA??? I think that's the least used, and possibly even spreading to thin.

If the gameplan was nail selective resources for Step 1, it holds even more true for CK because of how much more valuable every run of UW is considering the strong correlation.

So then just memorize the crap out of UW? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey folks question for you.
I'm a DO and I'm already on audition rotations through Nov so this isn't straightforward. I need the score for allo anesthesia to make up for a subpar step I score (~200), my comlex was average for level I and level II is pending (god only knows with that test).

Of note I don't NEED to take Step II. Yeah my app is hosed without it but it's not required for graduation. At some point it becomes too late in the season for me to take Step II and get my score back in time to snag me interviews.

With this in mind...
I took the UW Self Assessment yesterday and ran into issues on time in the sections 1-3 and ended up blanking ~ 7 questions total. So no surprise I did much worse than anticipated (~200) and rescheduled the exam for the 30th.
The timing issue I can work on. Still have 80% of uworld left to do. Cumulative is @ 66%

But I'm wondering how consistent peoples percentage correct on the self assessment compared to their cumulative %?

step 1: 269

UWorld done through year with clerkships: 83%
2nd time through Uworld during 2.5 week study: 92%

NBME 6 (2 weeks before exam) 700/279
NBME 4 (3 days before exam) 720/283

Test day: 8/6/2013 - Overall felt like Uworld but longer, like I would see similar questions but that just add in 50% more bullcrap extraneous information to wear you down. Seemed significantly harder than NBMEs, but we'll see how I feel when I get the score. By the last section I was worn down and couldn't think clearly through a super long abstract and some other questions and felt like I was just sort of guessing. I guess maybe that happens to a lot of people though, I don't know. Just glad to have it done either way.

So no scores came out last wednesday right? Guess that means, we have another 2 weeks to go...

So I'm prepping for the exam for a date in June of 2013. I've seen people talk about how they used MTB2 primarily for IM, but not for the other topics. Instead they use MTB3. Why is this?

Lastly, why is FA not as good as a source for S2 compared to S1?

Does anyone know how Step 2 CK is scored? Just took it about a week ago and man I felt crushed, no idea how that went. However, some of my classmates thought the same thing, took it in January and got 250+/88 scaled. I mean are these people really thinking they failed the test then get an 88% on the thing? Any insight would be great.

Thanks,

Does anyone know how Step 2 CK is scored? Just took it about a week ago and man I felt crushed, no idea how that went. However, some of my classmates thought the same thing, took it in January and got 250+/88 scaled. I mean are these people really thinking they failed the test then get an 88% on the thing? Any insight would be great.

Thanks,

In the same boat as you. I had a slight idea after the exam about how I did but now it's all blank. No idea of what to expect. My UWSA score was 230 going in and I felt confident that I had done all I could to prepare. I have heard this feeling is all too common but can't comprehend how people are scoring so high when they walk out of the exam feeling like sh**. More power to them, and hopefully the same happens for me.

I don't think I'll ever get used to taking standardized exams. :(. The day after the exam must be such a relief.

any chance that scores for early-mid august test takers will come back tomorrow? or are we still waiting for Sept 25 ??

any chance that scores for early-mid august test takers will come back tomorrow? or are we still waiting for Sept 25 ??

I heard from several people the class above us that the test takers in early-mid August actually DO get their scores a week before the September 25th date.

Could it be the same this year? I guess we'll see :)

I've used this post quite a bit during step 2 -- and thought I should give back:
DO student, did poorly on Step 1, so tried to give a solid effort on step 2. Mid/low pack Class rank. Scored above average on Surgery, IM, Psych Shelf's, no Honors.

Step 1 USMLE: 195/79
Step 1 Comlex: 493/81

Step 2 study: 3 weeks, uninterrupted (~9-10hrs/day):
Study Tools: DIT step 2 (2011 ed) + 2x U World (1st pass during school year) + 60% Kaplan QBank + 2 Day cruise through FA.
*Notes: UWorld 2x was the best use of my time once I'd covered DIT. Kaplan QBank not as correlative.

Q Bank (timed only):
Kap Q Bank total: 72% (60% complete)
UWorld 1st Pass: 75% / 2nd Pass 82% (80% complete)

Practice Tests:
Start (T-3 weeks till Test day): Full Length KapTest: 58%
T-2 weeks: Full length Kaptest 2: 77%
T-1.5 weeks: UWSSA: 226/530/75%
T-10d: NBME 4 (offline): 240/600/85.9%*
T-5d: Kaplan Diagnostic: 80%
T-3d: NBME 1 (offline): 244/620/87.5%*
T-1d: NBME Free: 90%, 247

*Note: For the offline tests I used the correlative pdf which matches % to 3 digit.

For DO's: 2.5 day OPP studying: Did Green Book (Savarese) and ComQuest (100% of OPP Questions only (~90% correct)

Day of:
USMLE: Ranged sets from 44-31 (last set). Took a break at every block, every other left the testing room. Felt ok leaving the test, finished every section without running out of time. 2-3 Drug ads, straightforward as mentioned previously.

COMLEX: Bogus test - 80% straight forward, 20% off the wall medical-legal questions and other BS you just can't seem to cover prior to the test. No sacrum, very little cranial. Confused about what happened as I finished 2 hrs early? And by 2.5 weeks out felt like I'd failed.

Scores:
7/29-USMLE Step 2: 249
7/31-Comlex Step 2: 603/89 (OPP was my lowest section)

Very happy with the improvement, though it makes me wonder what would've happened if I'd kept studying? Hopefully, this give you a little insight into score correlation and some hope of improving your score from step 1 to 2. Good luck everyone!

I've used this post quite a bit during step 2 -- and thought I should give back:
DO student, did poorly on Step 1, so tried to give a solid effort on step 2. Mid/low pack Class rank. Scored above average on Surgery, IM, Psych Shelf's, no Honors.

Study Tools: DIT step 2 (2011 ed) + 2x U World (1st pass during school year) + 60% Kaplan QBank + 2 Day cruise through FA.
*Notes: UWorld 2x was the best use of my time once I'd covered DIT. Kaplan QBank not as correlative.

Q Bank (timed only):

Practice Tests:

*Note: For the offline tests I used the correlative pdf which matches % to 3 digit.

For DO's: 2.5 day OPP studying: Did Green Book (Savarese) and ComQuest (100% of OPP Questions only (~90% correct)

Day of:
USMLE: Ranged sets from 44-31 (last set). Took a break at every block, every other left the testing room. Felt ok leaving the test, finished every section without running out of time. 2-3 Drug ads, straightforward as mentioned previously.

COMLEX: Bogus test - 80% straight forward, 20% off the wall medical-legal questions and other BS you just can't seem to cover prior to the test. No sacrum, very little cranial. Confused about what happened as I finished 2 hrs early? And by 2.5 weeks out felt like I'd failed.

Scores:

Very happy with the improvement, though it makes me wonder what would've happened if I'd kept studying? Hopefully, this give you a little insight into score correlation and some hope of improving your score from step 1 to 2. Good luck everyone!

This may sound like a really really dumb question but I totally forgot the procedures for break taking. I thought you always had to sign out to take a break. What do you have to do if you want to take a break while in the testing room? Taking my exam in a few days so I'd like to figure out my break schedule. Thanks! :)

Awesome score btw! :)

This may sound like a really really dumb question but I totally forgot the procedures for break taking. I thought you always had to sign out to take a break. What do you have to do if you want to take a break while in the testing room? Taking my exam in a few days so I'd like to figure out my break schedule. Thanks! :)

Awesome score btw! :)

What I mean by that is, at the end of each section they allow you to "take a break" if you end time on that block. Ex: After Q44, you end the block and it asks you "do you really want to end the block, are you sure", then it takes you to an intermediate screen with a timer and another option to "take a break" or "continue". So I would just take that break and sit there listening to GRE takers clack away around me. You don't have to leave the room during this time, you can opt to just sit there as leaving and entering takes time (fingerprint, metal detector, etc).

Good luck

What I mean by that is, at the end of each section they allow you to "take a break" if you end time on that block. Ex: After Q44, you end the block and it asks you "do you really want to end the block, are you sure", then it takes you to an intermediate screen with a timer and another option to "take a break" or "continue". So I would just take that break and sit there listening to GRE takers clack away around me. You don't have to leave the room during this time, you can opt to just sit there as leaving and entering takes time (fingerprint, metal detector, etc).

Good luck

Thanks so much! :)

I've only been doing uworld and step 2 stuff for a short period of time now but Am i the only who feels like Step 2 is just step 1 material w/out all the minutia? The questions haven't been nearly as difficult as they were for step 1, I feel and the %correct is also way higher?

Q Bank (timed only):

Practice Tests:

Day of:

Scores:

Congrats on a great score! your score jump is very inspiring!

I take it no scores were released again? Well at least now i can accept that it *should* just be 1 more week of waiting...

Oh god. That horrible moment when you realized you picked warfarin when you should have picked clopidogrel. Step 2 CK flashbacks! :(.

My link is still there but when I click on it the permit does not actually pull up. It says that the examinee may have sat for the exam already or the registration is no longer active. I took the exam september 8th. Does that mean I may not get may scores next week since the link is still there technically?

My link is still there but when I click on it the permit does not actually pull up. It says that the examinee may have sat for the exam already or the registration is no longer active. I took the exam september 8th. Does that mean I may not get may scores next week since the link is still there technically?

My link is gone now, but when I checked it Wednesday morning it showed up and said exactly that when I clicked it. Sounds like you may have just missed the cut-off, but keep an eye on it!