usmle world ccs vs step 3 ccs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solacecomes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ack! So I'm taking step 3 in 2 days and went to try out the actual FRED software, but it doesn't work for me (something about I don't have the proper version of flash...).

I was wondering: is the interface/software of USMLEWorld CCS identical to the interface/software of the actual Step 3 CCS? E.g. the order inputs, changing patient location, etc?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, this will be my first and last bump! (Step 3 is tomorrow)

Is it worth going over a friend's place to test drive the CCS FRED Step 3 software? Or is the USMLEWorld CCS software the same, in terms of order input, etc.

Sorry, this will be my first and last bump! (Step 3 is tomorrow)

Is it worth going over a friend's place to test drive the CCS FRED Step 3 software? Or is the USMLEWorld CCS software the same, in terms of order input, etc.

Hey SC...change your status, I'm pretty sure you're in residency now :)

I found the USMLE CCS software to be pretty much identical to the actual CCS cases. Looking back on my experience, if I were you I'd spend less time worrying about the software itself, and more time worrying about how to actually manage the cases (e.g. timing of your order sets, toggling back and forth between the ED/clinic/inpatient/ICU, managing the clock and the time-forwarding function). I apparently performed pretty marginally on the CCS and I think it's because I only did about 10 practice cases. On the actual exam I grouped all of my orders in all at once based on my Ddx (it was like explosive order diarrhea) and I think I over-ordered and over-planned - for example at the end of one case I was arranging preventive care/counseling for a patient who was still in the ICU. So be careful about how you time your orders, and don't think too far ahead. I'd definitely say that understanding timing and clock management of particular cases is much more high-yield than using the exact CCS software - the UW version is close enough.

Good luck!! And don't sweat it at all - in retrospect I spent way more time preparing than I needed to. You'll be fine.

Did I ever tell you that I lurve you, LW? =) Thanks for the heads-up! I'm just aiming to pass, so a marginal performance in all aspects of the exam is good enough for me!

I know you're rocking residency, here's to being PGY-2's soon!