USMLE VS COMLEX scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DNA-RL

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm currently in my 3rd year, and i'm going for ortho. My usmle score is competitive at 233 but my comlex score isn't as hot: 583, so where am i at as far as board scores go for a AOA ortho spot. I've heard stories about people actually getting into aoa residencies via their usmle scores (given they've past their comlex) is this true or am I sh-t out of luck? Could sure use some input... thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So i'm currently in my 3rd year, and i'm going for ortho. My usmle score is competitive at 233 but my comlex score isn't as hot: 583, so where am i at as far as board scores go for a AOA ortho spot. I've heard stories about people actually getting into aoa residencies via their usmle scores (given they've past their comlex) is this true or am I sh-t out of luck? Could sure use some input... thanks!

I don't know if you're out of luck, but I'm considering ortho and didn't take the USMLE because I knew I was going for DO ortho. I've talked to different programs and from what I understand the number one thing programs want the most is for you to rotate there. Rotate and work hard..you're still in the 80+ percentile with your comlex so no worries. The DO world is different..they want to know you and know WHO YOU KNOW more than just going strictly by the numbers. This can work against you because if so and so's nephew want's ortho and has weak scores and is average, he still might get an ortho spot over you. This has happened..Attendings and Residents have told me this. Some real back room secretive b*ll**** if you ask me...:mad: Don't worry about the comlex score..rotate like a mad man at programs with lots of spots.

We don't even look at USMLE scores. I don't think there is even a spot for them in our packet. The most important things for us are these.
What was he/she like on their rotation? A rotation is vital and bar none the most important part of the whole process.
At the interview, are they teachable?
What was their ortho knowledge? Are they a true gunner or someone with a high score and grades that wants to do ortho because they can.
What were their grades and scores?
What do their letters look like?

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't even look at USMLE scores. I don't think there is even a spot for them in our packet. The most important things for us are these.
What was he/she like on their rotation? A rotation is vital and bar none the most important part of the whole process.
At the interview, are they teachable?
What was their ortho knowledge? Are they a true gunner or someone with a high score and grades that wants to do ortho because they can.
What were their grades and scores?
What do their letters look like?

This is the kind of info that is truly useful...thanks Dawg

So it seems for DO ortho definitely need to rotate. How many spots did you guys or are you guys going to rotate at?