USMLE transcript release question for a D.O

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theosteoblasts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question regarding releasing USMLE transcripts. I know that according to the rules, I have to authorize release of the transcript if I have taken the USMLE.

Do I need to send my scores to ACGME programs as well? I did not do well on the one Step that I took and am wondering if I am required to send the score or not. Just don't want to break any rules I might not know about.

Thank you in advance,

I am applying IM/FM for both AOA/ACGME if that helps.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m not sure how AOA applications work, but I’m pretty sure if you put a transcript into ERAS, it will go to all the programs you apply for via ERAS.

I’m not sure how AOA applications work, but I’m pretty sure if you put a transcript into ERAS, it will go to all the programs you apply for via ERAS.

Does this mean I have to "Assign" the scores or that authorizing it is sufficient? I haven't assigned my USMLE scores to the DO programs. Would like to not send my step if its possible, but I'm not sure what my obligations are

I actually thought that you can't send USMLE scores to AOA programs? In any case, you definitely don't have to send them to AOA programs. Programs that are joint ACGME / AOA but you're applying for AOA spots, not totally clear. In any case, it's very unlikely anyone would make an issue of this, as long as your USMLE transcript isn;t hiding a professionalism violation.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually thought that you can't send USMLE scores to AOA programs? In any case, you definitely don't have to send them to AOA programs. Programs that are joint ACGME / AOA but you're applying for AOA spots, not totally clear. In any case, it's very unlikely anyone would make an issue of this, as long as your USMLE transcript isn;t hiding a professionalism violation.

Thank you for clearing that up.

If I Have taken a USMLE exam do I have to send it to an ACGME program or can I just send my COMLEX scores?