Usmle Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swaydaa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just took step 2 today. I hope this is legal?? I scored a 230 on Step 1 and I thought it was a little tougher. You will probably hear many more people say it was easier, so take my statement with a grain of salt!

1. I had no less than 20 questions (yes 20) on amenorrhea (all types), womans fertility, and womens endocrine......CANT STAND THAT CRAP!! What sucked the most is they ALL stated...the mans sperm count was good....I was waiting for one of those. Had many OB questions (35-40) I was pleased at that...I like OB

2. I had about 10 questions on congenital heart defects...know the blood gases and symptoms that go with each (I hate that crap). One associated with an XRAY. They don't give the "classical" buzzwords.

3. I finished my last 5 days of studying with surgery.....cant even recall 2-3 freakin pure surgery questions....what a total waste time (in my opinion).

4. about 40-50 questions concerning what test you would do next.

5. I consider myself pretty darn good at reading EKG's and recognizing dysrythmias....NOT A Single rhythm strip or EKG....damn. I did have a question that stated the patient had peaked T-waves.

6. I had exactly 5 questions on epi/stats. sensitivity, PPV, NPV, power....ONE asking about relative risk. Do a quick run through on doing the math for these things...I thought I was good, but I proved to be a little rusty (spent 4-5 minutes on one question trying to figure out where to put the numbers).

7. Had a good number of trauma questions...definatley worth a little extra time.

8. I was lucky mine did not have a bunch of DERM...I was scoring mid to low 60's on Q-bank for DERM. As a whole, I thought the Q-bank was good/OK for step 2. It was nowhere close to being as detailed as the actual test....but It does cover all the topics. MKASP was pretty darn good I must say.....real close to the actual IM questions!!

9. I hear the test bank has over 10,000 questions. I only had 376 questions, so everyones test may be totally different.

10. The test was freakin looooooooooooong as hell. 9 HOURS. the last block and half I was shot. My eyes were the only thing holding me to the computor...the rest of my body was FALLING AWAYYYYYYYYYYy. Get some good rest. Lot tougher than step 1 concerning getting through and reading the page long question with labs.

11. About 4 to 5 questions on acid base with the actual blood gas in the question...pure respiratory, compensated, etc.

12. OB/GYN blueprints in my opinion is the absolute gold standard for USMLE step 2. Best of the bluprints series. Pediactric blueprints follows OB at a close second. I thought internal medicine blueprints stunk like Sh-t for the exam. I wil post my results when I receive them and then offer my study plan if it worked???

Thanks for listening...just had to get it off my back. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE. I hope you do well. :)

Anyone ELSE please feel free to add your experience!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

aredoubleyou said:
Just took step 2

completed 95% usmle world
100% First aid, portions of Crush, OB section of blue prints, most of Peds Blue prints, and other random stuff.

I think I peaked about a week ago and have been forgeting more than I've been learning since.

I thought the exam was pretty hard. More basic science than I was prepared for. The OB remained difficult despite really trying to read lots of OB. Trauma was my major weak point on usmle world and of course every other question seems like someone is getting thrown from a car.

Tons of OB, Peds, and Psych (thank god!!!!), not nearly enough respiratory, cardio, or rheum (my strong points according to usmleworld).

Now I gotta go on interviews and back on rotations - I was enjoying staying home all day for the last couple weeks - it felt like the second year all over again :)

So, I thought I'd update, here's what I did
Sterp I 223
I did as described above 95% USMLE world & First aid. Suplemented with OB & Peds blue prints. Over the course of a few rotations I was actively reviewing portions of Medicne with my medicine text (Fishman et al: Medicine).

Devoted studying time of ~2 1/3 week.

Scored 230 - which is not as high as I was hoping, but I'm not at all dissapointed, although this is a low score on SDN (amazing how that works isn't it!). Strongest subject by far was Medicine, weakest OB and Psych (the psych really suprised me). Don't know what I would do differently - so no real regrets. Probably OB blueprints was not high yeild, but again, maybe I would have flunked it withlout it - no way to know.

I studied for just under 2 weeks. Read Crush cover to cover twice and read through Boards and Wards once. I did NMS questions at night. On my exam day, I felt miserable about the exam and wondered whether I should have studied for more time/other sources. I just got my score today. 261! I was pretty shocked. I think that the trick was that even though I only actively studied for the exam for less than 2 weeks, I read a lot for my rotations, so it was pretty much all refreshing my memory.

faerichilde said:
I studied for just under 2 weeks. Read Crush cover to cover twice and read through Boards and Wards once. I did NMS questions at night. On my exam day, I felt miserable about the exam and wondered whether I should have studied for more time/other sources. I just got my score today. 261! I was pretty shocked. I think that the trick was that even though I only actively studied for the exam for less than 2 weeks, I read a lot for my rotations, so it was pretty much all refreshing my memory.

Nice job. Good to know that busting your tail during 3rd year and actually learning the material throughout the year pays off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Radiohead said:
Just got my step II score today. There is definitely a correlation b/w the NBME practice tests and the real thing.

NBME Practice I (2 weeks prior): 790 (268)
NBME Practice II (2 days prior): 800 (>268)

USMLE Step II: 279

Where did you get these NBME practice tests and how much do they cost? $$$$

Ice-1 said:
Where did you get these NBME practice tests and how much do they cost? $$$$

nbme tests are found under self assessment services at nbme.org and cost $45 each. you do 4 blocks of 46 questions each. you do not learn the correct answers to any of them. you simply get a self assessment score.
there are 3 available nbme exams for step 2.

Has anyone taken step II on a Thursday or Friday and received their score from their med school exactly three Wednesdays after their exam?

Just asking since I'm planning on taking my exam and would like to have my score by the third Wednesday post step II ck, if possible. My school administrator told me this, but I'd like to hear if others have had this happen to them.

Thanks.

quidnunc said:
Has anyone taken step II on a Thursday or Friday and received their score from their med school exactly three Wednesdays after their exam?

Just asking since I'm planning on taking my exam and would like to have my score by the third Wednesday post step II ck, if possible. My school administrator told me this, but I'd like to hear if others have had this happen to them.

Thanks.

I took mine on a Thursday and the score report was mailed out 3 Wednesdays later. Hopefully good news today or on Monday

I've completed step 2!!! For everyone who posted on here with their studying strategies, thanks!

Here's what I did: I get bored reading review books, so my strategy was to do as many questions as possible. This is what I used, in order of importance:

1. USMLEWorld: This is excellent. Ignore the occassional awkward grammar. Like others have said, the questions were harder than the real thing, which I think is better. I don't like reviewing easy questions only to find that the real exam is more difficult. One caution, though: sometimes USMLEWorld focuses a bit too much on esoteric stuff that is unlikely to be on your exam. I just took the exam today, and there were a ton of minor things I memorized from UW that most certainly didn't show up anywhere. Then again, there were a few esoteric things on my exam that I didn't recognize, so maybe you should just try to learn as many as possible :)
I went through UW once completely with no repeats, with an average of 65%. I then started doing tests with just questions I got wrong the first time. Only did that with my weak areas, though.

2. Step 2CK Secrets: This is a great little book. I tried going through Crush Step 2 but as I mentioned above I have a hard time reading review books without falling asleep, so I gave up. Luckily, Secrets is actually Crush in question and answer format, more my style. I read through once, underlining important stuff, and then sporadically reviewed chapters as needed.

3. NBME clinical skills assessment ($45): I did the first one a few days before the exam, but wasn't willing to shell out another $45 for another one.
The NBME exam looked extremely familiar, after all of the USMLEWorld questions. I got a score of 770, which roughly equates to 266 - I hope I did this well on the real thing, although the NBME assessment definitely seemed more familiar than the actual exam. The assessment was good for a confidence boost, but I really don't know how they can justify charging us $45 per test.

4. QBook: When I had free time during rotations, I did questions out of QBook (not QBank, but QBook, published by Kaplan). I think I probably finished about 75% of QBook. As soon as I started "really studying" I stopped using it.

That's about it. I think I had to do more studying for step 2 than some others because I didn't study as hard during rotations (I know I should have, but oh well.) I also wanted to improve my score from step 1, not for residency applications but just to boost my self-worth ;) (that's a joke).

As for the actual exam: There was all of the standard stuff you would expect, although I thought a lot of questions were not as straightforward as those on the NBME assessment. For example, many times I was asked to choose the next step, and although I thought I knew the next step, it wasn't one of the options. There seemed to be a lot of respiratory, ob, and gyn questions. There were the standard trauma questions and post-op issues - a few of the questions involved people with oliguria post-op. There were only one or two questions on rare immunodeficiency disorders. There was only ONE question on childhood development, asking whether the kid was normal or delayed in 2 areas, and I'm 90% sure he was normal. I had two questions in the same hour on congenital lobar emphysema(?!) - at least I'm hoping it was the answer to at least one of those! There were so many pregnant women, oh so many pregnant women. Overall, although many of the questions on the exam were easy, there were also a bunch in which I had to guess.

EDIT: My score on step 2 was 263.

Robotsonic, your test sounds just like mine. I just took it yesterday. After reading everyone's study plans, I followed one similar to yours. I, too, get bored just reading text.

1. I thought USMLEWorld was great preparation for the exam. It helped me pick up on details I probably would have skimmed over on my own. Even though some of them were esoteric, it helped me learn how to pick out the important details in the midst of long stems.

I was getting high 40's at first, then up to 60s and 70s, but the total average was ~58%. I did them in blocks, so it would help me process the patterns/differences better: Cardio/GU first, then Peds/Poison/GI, etc... Then, I went back through and did a few sets from the incorrect ones.

2. Secrets: I went through it once, then went through it as much as I could as I needed to. I really enjoyed this book, especially once I had done the USMLEWorld Qbank. I was worried it was too superficial, but it did the job.

3. Reference: I kept these on hand when I needed a bit more detail or wanted to review images: Boards & Wards, Dubin's EKG book, First Aid Step 1 (yes, step 1).

4. NBME tests. I did form 1 after I went through Secrets the first time. It was the equivalent of 180. After doing USMLEWorld, I took form 2, scored the equivalent of 229. It was a good predictor for step 1, so I made it a point to take the NBME exams again this go 'round.

5. I started light studying after Thanksgiving, while still on rotations. Took a week vacation in Dec, then came back and went hard from Dec 10-29. I didn't do much studying during rotations throughout the year.

6. The test: I got quite a few OB rhythm strips, but overall not too many images. I agree with Robotsonic, I had way too much respiratory, ob and gyn questions. I too got several oliguria post-op people (I read the post before my test, but I thought, oh they probably won't put the same stuff, so I didn't give it extra attention), and one developmental question too. Overall, I felt really good about the exam, much better than COMLEX two days prior. I also felt it was fair as far as topic distribution, etc.

I will post how I did later. Good luck everyone. And thanks to those who post. I have been reading tips on step 2 since June and they have helped me decide what to do and what not to do.

-K

Taking CK in 1 week. USMLEWorld- 63%, Kaplan q-bank- 73%, NBME test 1- 570 (233). Not feeling very confident, a lot of questions seem familiar, but have to guess.
What are my chances? Would love to get above 90 (Step 1- 240/97, but studied much longer)
Thanks

You should be money. I think I had like 69% qbank, got a 660 on NBME part 1 three days before test and it went just fine. I thought the test was actually easier than the NBME test. Of course I haven't gotten my scores back, but I did better on Step I than I did on the two NBME tests I took before that one, so I think it'll be alright, and I think you will be more than OK... you should be able to get as high or higher than you did on Step I (and you did very well on Step I).

Members don't see this ad :)
I took my exam on Dec 29, should I expect my scores on Jan 18th or 25th?

thanks.

wrecked said:
I took my exam on Dec 29, should I expect my scores on Jan 18th or 25th?

thanks.

Call your student/dean's office on 1/18, they should be able to give you your score then. Your mailed score you be coming in within 2 - 4 days afterwards.

-Q

if you get close to your predicted score of 233, that will be 90+ two digit score.

inositide said:
if you get close to your predicted score of 233, that will be 90+ two digit score.

Did the 2nd NBME test today, got 680(254). Hoping to get something even remotely close to this on the real exam.
Taking step 2 on tuesday.

grigory76 said:
Did the 2nd NBME test today, got 680(254). Hoping to get something even remotely close to this on the real exam.
Taking step 2 on tuesday.

NBME 1 680/254
NBME 2 630/245

USMLE step 2 243/98

As you can see, the practice exams are pretty accurate in predicting your score.

Never mind. For those who are interested, it appears NBME releases scores @ 11.45 a.m. EST, despite what their phone rep says.

256. I used Secrets and didn't finish qbank, but I was 69% or so of the ones I did. Got a 660 three days out on NBME part I, so the NBME was pretty accurate. I think the best prep was third year, as I did pretty well on the shelf exams as a whole. I was low 240s on step I, so I improved, with far less studying.

got 240.... my secret was to do well during your M3 rotations. I studied on and off for the 2 months. did 40% of USMLEWORLD. their stat questions were so freakin hard that they were useless. I read FirstAid for step 2 and took important notes in it b/c using it alone is stupid. read crush X2. did did 80% of NMS questions which was very good. I didnt take the NBME exams. If you slacked M3 year then my approach isnt a good idea.

All praise to God, I'm DONE!!!!!

realruby2000 said:
got 240.... my secret was to do well during your M3 rotations. I studied on and off for the 2 months. did 40% of USMLEWORLD. their stat questions were so freakin hard that they were useless. I read FirstAid for step 2 and took important notes in it b/c using it alone is stupid. read crush X2. did did 80% of NMS questions which was very good. I didnt take the NBME exams. If you slacked M3 year then my approach isnt a good idea.

All praise to God, I'm DONE!!!!!

hey congrats!! what were u getting in the 40% USMLEWORLD that u did? it seems like I wont be able to finish it either. anything particularly high yield in usmleworld that I must not leave out?

maverick_pkg said:
hey congrats!! what were u getting in the 40% USMLEWORLD that u did? it seems like I wont be able to finish it either. anything particularly high yield in usmleworld that I must not leave out?

biostats in usmleworld is so hard it's useless...just do first aid or crush. also all that ethical behav stuff is found in fa and crush so read it the night before or between blocks if you would like. other than that, the rest of crush is good. but even though i did 40 % of crush, i did like 80% of NMS which equals more than 1500 questions

good luck

257 (249 fo step 1)

use usmle secrets..and did about 500Qs from usmleworld (tutor mode) avg in the 60s

i think studying my ass off for my 3rd year shelves made the diff......

I'm so freaking excited.

USMLEWorld: 65%, all questions
NBME diagnostic #1: 770, equates to 266

Step 2: 263/99

My step 1 score wasn't nearly as good (231/94) so I was really trying to bring up my score for this one. Yay! I hope residency PDs actually look at this before the final rank list :)

257 (249 fo step 1)

use usmle secrets..and did about 500Qs from usmleworld (tutor mode) avg in the 60s...

To complete my last post:

NBME 1: 180 in November
NBME 2: 229 a week before the test

Real thing (Step 2): 235/95

Step 1: 195/80

tega said:
257 (249 fo step 1)

use usmle secrets..and did about 500Qs from usmleworld (tutor mode) avg in the 60s

Tutor mode...

that's my plan for the week or so before. for now, im doing timed blocks. i think Tutor mode is an excellent option towards the end of your review

Studied using USMLEWorld questions alone (83%, all questions). Tried using Crush the Boards, but abandoned it quickly because it was so numbing to read.

Step IICK: 267/99

Really, just the clerkship experiences alone were the best preparation for the exam. I did worse by far with the psych questions, and that is the only core clerkship I haven't taken yet.

robotsonic said:
I'm so freaking excited.

USMLEWorld: 65%, all questions
NBME diagnostic #1: 770, equates to 266

Step 2: 263/99

My step 1 score wasn't nearly as good (231/94) so I was really trying to bring up my score for this one. Yay! I hope residency PDs actually look at this before the final rank list :)

Just want to say that your Step I score was really really good to start with! :)

I'm curious... What is the mean and SD at this time?

Thanks.

HMS '05 said:
Mean: 220
SD: 23
Standard error of measurement: 7

Mean of 220? Isn't that a bit high compared to normal? I was thinking the mean would be similar to Step 1, like 216-217 or so.

drPLUM said:
Mean of 220? Isn't that a bit high compared to normal? I was thinking the mean would be similar to Step 1, like 216-217 or so.

Yeah, I don't know why it is slightly different than Step I, or if this is different than the historical mean for Step II. But those are the numbers on my score sheet that I received last week, so they are pretty current.

Finally got my scores back.

CK: 273/99 (Step 1: 262)

This is what I did to prepare (2.5 weeks total):

Medicine: Re-read my class note set
OB-GYN: Blueprints
Peds: Boards and Wards
Psych: Boards and Wards
Surgery: Nada

USMLEWORLD: 75% - Probably the best review source (broken English and all).

I think I got lucky: I focused on Medicine + OB-GYN because I heard they were heavily tested (and they were, on my test!!!)

If I had to do it all again I would definitely read some trauma management (HINT, HINT!)

For the third years: I read my ass off during my rotations. This should be your #1 priority and will take a lot of pressure off boards prep....

I took step 2 CK on Friday. Here is my 2cents.
Studied on and off for 1 mo during a research rotation, anywhere from 2-5hrs per day. I was worried that I didn’t prepare adequately for the exam. Looking back I probably did just enough, if not maybe a bit too much.

Used UW, did about 70% of the questions. I found the questions to be much longer than the real thing. Of course there were some long question stems, but seemed much shorter in the real thing. I think UW was a good preparation, although they were much more detail oriented than the actual exam.

I also used First Aid, Boards and Wards, supplemented with Blueprints Obgyn. Used Crush but found it superficial.

I found the exam to be long but quite fair. I made sure to take 2-3 minute breaks in between each block and a 20 min lunch. I tried to do too many blocks during step 1 and had issues with fatigue. This wasn’t as big as an issue this time around.

I have to say the best prep (like a previous poster said) was studying hard for shelf exams during 3rd year. We’ll see if that pans out!

As far as the exam goes, it’s kinda fuzzy
Make sure you know the ddx of Kid with a limp came up often (well maybe 3-4x)
-every few question seemed to be a guy in a MVA….lots of trauma! Know your Pneumos
-Electrolytes came up quite a few times
-unfortunately not as much obgyn as I had hoped
-very few pure surgery q/s
-surprising a few step 1 style q’s-described a scenario of a kid with hirschprungs, asked for mechanism behind disease
-EBM/Biostats-maybe 5-6q, most were run of the mill , one random one with crazy graphs…very doable if you review the night before

That’s about all I can recall. Good luck to all!
When I get my scores I'll let you know if I studied enough ;)

I keep hearing Trauma, Trauma, Trauma....

What kinda resource should I use to get a good handle on Trauma ?s for the test?

Thanks!

jon62781 said:

What kinda resource should I use to get a good handle on Trauma ?s for the test?

Thanks!

try to find kaplan surgery notes for step 2 if u can... concise and good

I took CK on Tuesday Jan 17th. When can I expect to find out if I passed? (to try to apply again- ECFMG trick)
Thanks!

I took it the same day as you, and given the 3 week rule, I expect the score to come out today. I've asked my school to e-mail me my score. You can also wait for the score report card to be mailed to you.

-Q

Step 2 was definitely harder than i imagined it would be. Took it two weeks ago tomorrow... still waiting for my scores. I don't anticipate that I did well, even though I was averaging around 78-84% on Kaplan as I freak out during standardized tests.

jon62781 said:
I thought that doing all of the USMLEWorld questions for surgery (and carefully reading the answers) was all I really needed for the trauma questions on step 2. USMLEWorld is pretty amazing, actually.

There are some crazy-great scores on this thread. Congratulations to everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not too good in math. I just shelled out the money to take one of these NBME exams for Step 2. I got a 630. The mean is 500 with a SD of 100. Can someone show me below how you figure out what means for Step 2?

If the average for Step 2 is 218 with a SD of 23, what will I get if I scored a 630?

Oh, studied for about 2-3 weeks while taking an easy elective. Have done around 1500 USMLE world questions (66%) and read Crush twice.

souljah1 said:
I'm not too good in math. I just shelled out the money to take one of these NBME exams for Step 2. I got a 630. The mean is 500 with a SD of 100. Can someone show me below how you figure out what means for Step 2?

If the average for Step 2 is 218 with a SD of 23, what will I get if I scored a 630?

Oh, studied for about 2-3 weeks while taking an easy elective. Have done around 1500 USMLE world questions (66%) and read Crush twice.

Go to the nbme website which shows it under Sample performance for the Clinicial Comprehensive Exam: https://external1.nbme.org/nsasweb/doc/sample_CCSSA.pdf

According to the sheet, it says you'd get a 245. Good job!

RunwayModel said:
Go to the nbme website which shows it under Sample performance for the Clinicial Comprehensive Exam: https://external1.nbme.org/nsasweb/doc/sample_CCSSA.pdf

According to the sheet, it says you'd get a 245. Good job!

Thanks! I'm just looking to pass at this point, but wanted to prepare enough so that I wouldn't worry about it. I take it in two days so I think I can stop studying now and relax. That is one good thing about waiting to take Step2 until after submitting your rank list - all you need to do is pass it.

Best of luck to every one who is anticipating match day!

souljah1 said:

Try to complete USMLE world. If you average at around 65 you will probably get something above 95 on the real exam. 630 on NBME is very good too.

Took Step 2 CK on Jan 27, score was reported 19 days later on Feb 15
Read B&W once in December (about 10 pages a day throughout the month).
Read FA and secrets in January and did all of USMLEWorld (100% complete, average 61% correct) during that same time.
Studied about 3-4 hours a day Jan 1- Jan 14, and about 8 hours each day Jan 15 - Jan 25, took the 26th off.
Step 1 score = 229
Step 2 CK score = 250

meconiumdelee said:
I took step 2 CK on Friday. Here is my 2cents.
Studied on and off for 1 mo during a research rotation, anywhere from 2-5hrs per day. I was worried that I didn’t prepare adequately for the exam. Looking back I probably did just enough, if not maybe a bit too much.

Used UW, did about 70% of the questions. I found the questions to be much longer than the real thing. Of course there were some long question stems, but seemed much shorter in the real thing. I think UW was a good preparation, although they were much more detail oriented than the actual exam.

I also used First Aid, Boards and Wards, supplemented with Blueprints Obgyn. Used Crush but found it superficial.

I found the exam to be long but quite fair. I made sure to take 2-3 minute breaks in between each block and a 20 min lunch. I tried to do too many blocks during step 1 and had issues with fatigue. This wasn’t as big as an issue this time around.

I have to say the best prep (like a previous poster said) was studying hard for shelf exams during 3rd year. We’ll see if that pans out!

As far as the exam goes, it’s kinda fuzzy
Make sure you know the ddx of Kid with a limp came up often (well maybe 3-4x)
-every few question seemed to be a guy in a MVA….lots of trauma! Know your Pneumos
-Electrolytes came up quite a few times
-unfortunately not as much obgyn as I had hoped
-very few pure surgery q/s
-surprising a few step 1 style q’s-described a scenario of a kid with hirschprungs, asked for mechanism behind disease
-EBM/Biostats-maybe 5-6q, most were run of the mill , one random one with crazy graphs…very doable if you review the night before

That’s about all I can recall. Good luck to all!
When I get my scores I'll let you know if I studied enough ;)

like previous poster, took exam 1/27. scores in mailbox today...
i almost became one of those poor trauma folks on the exam by passing out into oncoming traffic at the mailbox...
exceeded all expectations on how well I would do, becuase I just didn't devote that much time to studying (compared to step 1)

step 2 ck 263/99

bottom line-study hard 3rd year for all of your shelf exams!!
Good luck to all those taking the exam!~
time to party!