usmle step 2 prep in 3rd yr?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DIVA01

*** Extraordinaire
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just started my third year..should i start doing anything to prepare for step 2 during my rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

Well depends on yoru goals-if you are looking to crush step 2-like I was due to wanting to imrpove on step 1-then I would say in a way-yes. I would go through your rotations and focus your studying on shelf relevent/step 2 relevent stuff-meaning not too much silly detail that attendings may ask you and dont waste too much time on memorizing little things-but instead with every rotation-know the big 10 or however many bread and butter diseases and know how to work them up, diagnose, treat, manage and it doesnt hurt to use something like Step-up Medicine or a Step 2 review book just to make sure you really hit the step 2 points-but to be honest I didnt use a review book-i just made sure I LEARNED everything year 3-many people crammed by doing a bunch of questions for the shelf but never really taking time to learn things-instead they just got good at pattern recognition but that didnt help them for step 2-so try to LEARN concepts during the year and add to your step 1 knowledge of the first 2 years-step 2 is really no different material than step 2-its just you have to know the next step in managment and more treatment compared to stricly diagnosing the disease on step 1-but same diseases with same symptoms you just have to know how to diagnose and treat-not too mcuh to learn in a whole year really so you should be fine!