USMLE RX vs Uworld

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOrtho2024

Reaction score
I am in the middle of organ based systems and struggling with NBME exam grades. I'm looking to add to Boards and Beyond, Kaplan and AMBOSS to get in more practice so I am less dependent on lecture reviews. What are the pros and cons of UWORLD vs. USMLE RX for practice questions and overall scoring better in pre-clinical years on these NBME subject exams?

Members don't see this ad.

Amboss and USMLE-Rx are fine for practice questions and just getting that experience with "Step-style questions".
Imo save UWorld for dedicated since it's the gold standard, but there's varying opinions on that as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Big fan of Kaplan as a "what to use besides UWorld" question bank. Agree with saving UWorld for dedicated; it's the most-recommended question bank for a reason. Kaplan + UWorld was all I used for all the step exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
UWorld is for dedicated and, at the earliest, maybe 1-2 months before for a slow start.

All other QBanks are optional.

IMO: Kaplan/Amboss are good to challenge yourself. Rx is just an extremely wordy flashcards (basically) adaptation of FA.

I am in the middle of organ based systems and struggling with NBME exam grades. I'm looking to add to Boards and Beyond, Kaplan and AMBOSS to get in more practice so I am less dependent on lecture reviews. What are the pros and cons of UWORLD vs. USMLE RX for practice questions and overall scoring better in pre-clinical years on these NBME subject exams?

First step is not using B&B and Kaplan. The latter in particular is obsolete at this point. This isn't 2012. Amboss is fine and will probably eclipse UWorld as the dominant Q bank in the next 1-2 years. We are in a transition zone with UW on the decline. They seem to be engaged in a runaway-style expansion of their banks to nearly 4000 Qs, driving up their superfluousness. Rx is a very solid Qbank for those in MS1 in particular who are just starting out. It lays groundwork well. Much also depends on the student's study history, timeline, etc. I'm speaking in a vacuum, not for your situation in isolation, as we haven't engaged in discourse.