USMLE necessary to pass for a DO to enter an allopathic residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr. needy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi-

does anyone know if a DO enters an allopathic residency, is it necessary for him/her to pass the USMLE (step 1,2)?

does it affect their ability to obtain a licensure later?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

it depends on the residency program. the best way to find out is to contact residency programs that you might be interested in and ask if they accept COMLEX scores in place of USMLE scores. typically the more competitive residencies will require USMLE. there are plenty of allopathic programs that accept DO's on COMLEX alone, you just have to find one in a place that you like. there should not be a problem with licensure once you are accepted into an allopathic program as a DO.

If they require that you have taken USLME, then they probably are not as DO friendly / familiar as those who do not. The programs that are DO friendly / familiar usually have had enough DO's on staff and enough DO's apply that they know what COMLEX scores to look for.

And I do not think that it will affect your licensure at all. Just gotta pass comlex.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying for anesthesia this year and 4 out of the 5 MD programs I've interviewed at mentioned that they were glad I took both steps of the USMLE. I even brought my scorecard for comlex step 2 to the interviews (it had not been downloaded to ERAS at the time) and I was told by a PD "I honestly don't know how to interpret this!" It is true that more programs will accept comlex, but most still prefer being able to compare you to other applicants with the USMLE. Honestly, both tests are so different (sorry guys, but the comlex is much easier to pass) that I don't blame programs wanting USMLE scores! It is better to at least take step 1 USMLE and pass then to just do well on comlex. Don't limit yourself!! Suck it up and take both tests!

Applying for anesthesia this year and 4 out of the 5 MD programs I've interviewed at mentioned that they were glad I took both steps of the USMLE.

How important do you think it is to take USMLE step 2 in general?

How about if you took USMLE step 1 and did well on it? Couldn't you just end up putting yourself at a disadvantage if you don't improve over your step 1 score?

Sorry I didn't respond sooner- currently on the interviewing trail.

I didn't do great on step 1 (227, 92) and so I ended up taking step 2 to try and bring my score up. I got the same score on step 2. At least I am consistant right? I am applying for anesthesia and some of the cut-offs to programs are around the 220 mark. I took step 2 to make me more competitive and because some allopathic programs require it. Once again, I didn't want to limit myself to being able to only apply to certain programs. At AZCOM I would say that about 50% of my class took the USMLE step 1 and of those maybe 25% took step 2.

If you did reasonably well on step 1 and not applying to a very competitive speciality, then it might be wise to just ditch step 2. If you are kind of average with your step 1 score, take step 2 early. Even if you do 5-10 points less on step 2, it shows that your step 1 score was no fluke. People tend to also do better on step 2 as well. Programs mainly focus on step 1 (most apps have taken it versus step 2), but passing step 2 will make your application stronger and chances are you'll do better on step 2.