using MCAT study materials to study for the OAT?

baps78

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all!

i took the MCAT a couple years ago, primarily using the Examcracker materials to study. i did relatively well, but decided not to go to med school afterall. i've since decided to pursue optometry...:cool:

any thoughts on using MCAT guides (like kaplan/examcrackers) to prepare for the OAT...at least for the science sections and maybe even RC? Or do you feel it would be best to get materials (study guides like the Destroyer) specific for the OAT because the topics tested are THAT different?

:confused:

i've seen some practice OAT questions and i am going to take a practice OAT exam over the weekend...therefore, i don't truthfully know my weak areas yet. however, i have loads of kaplan and examcracker material in addition to course books from back in the day. if i can save money in this way, i'd love to...but not at the expense of scoring well.

all thoughts are welcome! thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT review is overkill for OAT. OVERKILL.

ur aiming for AP level stuff for the OAT. get AP review books, and u'll be fine.

MCAT review books are great sources. Just keep in mind that the MCAT and OAT are two different tests. OAT is mostly memorization and regurgitation whereas the MCAT is analytical. You should be fine using MCAT reviews, just don't take sample tests at the end of MCAT reviews. I do recommend buying at least one software that has 3 sample tests so you can get a feel of how the computer based OAT is like. I recommend OAT Achiever at 3tquest.com. Good luck!

I have been using the MCAT book to study for my OAT and I am so so overwehlmed. I've only read through the physics section so far, but I am really nervous for the test!! I got my OAT topscore CD in the mail yesterday so hopefully that will help me out! :D

Btw, I am supposed to write my OAT in December, but I'm honestly scared I won't have enough time to finish studying!! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
i used MCAT prep materials for the OATs since they cover the same subjects anyway, just skip the passages. You'll find yourself very prepared if you studied off of the mcat review materials, and in contrary to what some people are sayin', the MCAT prep materials are not overwhelming, in fact they are exactly what you need to know to do well on the test. The only OAT oriented material i used was achiever, and the sole reason that I used it was for the computer format so I'll know what it'll be like on test day - otherwise this program will just make u sad. Anyway. u'll be fine, MCAT materials are great to study for the OAT, in my opinion. Actually... any test prep/ review guides are great as long as you know what you need to know :p g'luck :thumbup:

thank you all for your opinions!

qwopty99 - i recently took a practice test, so i read you...the MCAT prep goes much more indepth. yet, i suppose it's better to know more than not enough. i guess the key is to not let the extra info frustrate or consume. i thank you for your thoughts!
:cool::)

eyeQ - thank you for weighing in. after taking a practice exam (on paper), i do see the need for computerized practice OAT exams to accompany the MCAT study guides. i am looking into Achiever now. thanks so much for the recommendation.
:idea: :)

nicolotta - i am nervous too! i plan on taking the OAT in mid December as well so i'm a little pressed for time too. please let me/us know how Topscore works for you. i know i felt a lot better after taking the diagnostic exam from opted.org. i scored above a 310 on all parts...some by chance (lol). still, i now know my weak areas and will focus on that. much success to you with studying, nicolotta!
:luck::)

pienfoo - thank you for your words! i'm so happy to be able to save money in this way. and another point for Achiever, i see...let me look into that now then! thank you for your positive outlook.
:thumbup::)

I had a similar question as the OP, and was just wondering if anybody had wrote their OAT and used mcat materials only and how they found the actual OAT.

Hi imemily,
Whoever said that MCAT materials are overkill is very much mistaken. The books I used to study for the OAT were MCAT textbooks (the examkrackers series) since I owned them. I'd highly recommend going that way- I ended up with a 400TS/370AA (98.7th percentile) and felt they prepared me really well. I also used some kaplan OAT practice questions, and I'd recommend you do the same just for practice (check your public library- that's where I got mine) I think the MCAT stuff is what prepared me the best, but both are essential- because even though MCAT covers extremely similar material, the question style is different so it's in your best interest to at least do a bit of OAT specific practice.

The OAT felt just as difficult as the MCAT to me, both have their own challenges. The OAT math section was harder than anything I had experienced on the MCAT without a doubt! (although I was very happy there was no written section!) Obviously the OAT doesn't have any passages to read (except VR) so when using the MCAT stuff for it my advice would be not to bother with the passage-type questions. The MCAT definitely covers more in depth information compared to the OAT, which in my opinion makes it perfect practice material. If you thoroughly understand the complex stuff, you have to understand the underlying concepts much, much better! Hope that helps!

I had a similar question as the OP, and was just wondering if anybody had wrote their OAT and used mcat materials only and how they found the actual OAT.