Using M.D. title

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WackoForFlacco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am a medical student looking at a possible non-clinical job after med school without doing a residency. My question is simple: is it legal for me to put the title M.D. after my name with no internship year? All feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely. That doctorate is awarded to you from your school, not where you did internship.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all, I am a medical student looking at a possible non-clinical job after med school without doing a residency. My question is simple: is it legal for me to put the title M.D. after my name with no internship year? All feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

yes

Members don't see this ad :)
as for business cards etc. sure its fine, you earned it. but do some research, some states have specific laws against signage/advertisements as MD w/o being licensed.

does the same apply for a foreign medical graduate?

i'm an img and am considering attempting to publish before starting residency. i know that using md after one's name before being licensed is a no-no for purposes of advertising and marketing, for example, but what about solely for the purpose of authoring a paper? furthermore, does the fact that i'm an img play into this in any way?

thanks.

If you have earned the MD degree, you may use it in non-clinical settings such as academic use. If you are in a clinical setting, you may not use MD unless you hold a license to practice medicine. If you earned a degree other than an MD, you can't use MD either academically or clinically.

This comes up occasionally with FMGs who have earned the MD degree but can't get licensed here in the US who elect to go through PA school and become PAs. They can't use MD in clinical situations because they are not licensed to practice medicine as physicians. If they hold a license to practice as a PA, that's what they sign as in clinical situations. If they published a paper or are in academia, they can use the MD (because it's a degree).

If you have earned the MD degree, you may use it in non-clinical settings such as academic use. If you are in a clinical setting, you may not use MD unless you hold a license to practice medicine. If you earned a degree other than an MD, you can't use MD either academically or clinically.

This comes up occasionally with FMGs who have earned the MD degree but can't get licensed here in the US who elect to go through PA school and become PAs. They can't use MD in clinical situations because they are not licensed to practice medicine as physicians. If they hold a license to practice as a PA, that's what they sign as in clinical situations. If they published a paper or are in academia, they can use the MD (because it's a degree).
thnx 4 the response.