Using a letter other than a physician from a MME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichiganWolverinesFan

Probationary Status
Reaction score
The physician Ive worked years for wrote a short letter that was super vague and didn't detail my strengths. Seems like a lukewarm letter. Would using a shadowing letter from a physician whom is adamant about writing one for me be better?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I presume this letter was shared with you. You can't force a reference to write more than what they are comfortable. You just can't have all of your letters to be so short unless they are all very enthusiastic.
This is the only short letter thus far, he didn’t share it but he told me how long it was (he’s a older doctor so he told me he wasn’t so sure how long they were supposed to be nowadays)

FWIW, a "strong" letter from me is usually about 2 full pages.

Length alone doesn't directly correlate with strength, but half a page is about as long as my weakest "did well in class" letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does this LOR writer know you? Because it sounds like they do not know you well enough even if you work under them.
He knows me pretty well, years even, I used to crack cold brewskies with him which is why I'm confused. He said he did the same for my co-worker who got into a fullbright scholarship, would it be awkward if I asked him to write a little more about me than just some positive adjectives?

Last edited:
He knows me pretty well which is why I'm confused. He said he did the same for my co-worker who got into the Hopkins MPH program, would it be awkward if I asked him to write a little more about me than just some positive adjectives?
Some people just write letters in this way. Choose somebody else. You likely don’t even need an extra LOR if you already have enough from faculty.

Some people just write letters in this way. Choose somebody else. You likely don’t even need an extra LOR if you already have enough from faculty.
He’s not faculty he’s just my MD letter as I already have strong lengthy letters from science professors and my PI but most schools require a physician letter. Should I go with the shadowing letter from a physician who’s known to write very positive and lengthy letters for students? He offered to write one for me.

He’s not faculty he’s just my MD letter as I already have strong lengthy letters from science professors and my PI but most schools require a physician letter. Should I go with the shadowing letter from a physician who’s known to write very positive and lengthy letters for students? He offered to write one for me.
Nobody wants an "MD" letter (except some undergrad committees that want to make sure you have shadowed)!
"Shadowing" letters are even more ineffectual.

I did, he used the guidelines (his word) but he said he kept it concise. The guidelines never mentioned length in it.
Further evidence that "MD letters" are not likely to be useful.
Even with guidelines, they may not follow them.

Don’t send unnecessary extra LORs. The physician letters do not add value for MD admissions.

This is for my state MD schools which require them as well as nearly all DO schools so would the shadowing letter be a better fit?
Send this employer letter then only to those GA schools on AMCAS.

It is a given that a lot of DO schools still want to see a physician LOR to check the box.

My state MD schools want them as well as all the DOs I’m applying to
DO schools love a DO letter (they will consider any physician letter).
There are a handful of MD schools that request a clinical letter (Utah and AZ come to mind). The rest will take any clinical letter. Let me know by PM if more schools are requesting this!

so my boss showed me the rec letter he wrote and said he tried his best but writing isn’t his strong suit. He suggested I find another person to write a letter. I currently have a shadowing letter lined up (he let me read it and it was super specific about why I would be a great candidate and gave me a lot of praise, shadowed him over 50 hours), my other experience is from my hospice coordinator who’s known me for 2 years and highlights my patient care and how I exemplified multiple AMCAS competencies. My only question is would it be a red flag to not get a letter from him despite having the job as a most meaningful experience. The hospice volunteering is another one of my most meaningful experiences by the way.

so my boss showed me the rec letter he wrote and said he tried his best but writing isn’t his strong suit. He suggested I find another person to write a letter. I currently have a shadowing letter lined up (he let me read it and it was super specific about why I would be a great candidate and gave me a lot of praise, shadowed him over 50 hours), my other experience is from my hospice coordinator who’s known me for 2 years and highlights my patient care and how I exemplified multiple AMCAS competencies. My only question is would it be a red flag to not get a letter from him despite having the job as a most meaningful experience. The hospice volunteering is another one of my most meaningful experiences by the way.
Just use the hospice letter and for DO schools, also include the shadowing letter you mentioned.