Using a consultant for practice set up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpemberton

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've received conflicting information about using a consultant to assist with setting up a new solo practice. The older ophthalmologist say you can do it by yourself and the a few say need one to set it up right. My feeling is that a consultant is more than worth the money so it's done right. As Trump would say, "Expert advice is worth the money and it will save you in the long run more than the advice costs." Would like to see what the forum thinks?

Members don't see this ad.

I've received conflicting information about using a consultant to assist with setting up a new solo practice. The older ophthalmologist say you can do it by yourself and the a few say need one to set it up right. My feeling is that a consultant is more than worth the money so it's done right. As Trump would say, "Expert advice is worth the money and it will save you in the long run more than the advice costs." Would like to see what the forum thinks?

If you are going to spend big, say opening in a new office buildout and you need advice on space planning, paying for specific advice would be something to seriously consider: stuff like traffic flow and setup for retail optical and whatnot. Don't assume that a consultant is going to save you any money, though. They cost a fair amount and starting a practice cold is still a startup. If you are decided on a big launch advertising budget (in this economy, think twice) maybe some advice on content and outlet and timing is in order. But for a startup on a small budget, I think consultants should be sought selectively.

I definitely would not hire anyone who did not have a significant amount of experience in ophthalmology practice startup.