Using 2018 ERAS LoR for 2019 ERAS, worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desperate one

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for 2019 ERAS and purchased 2018 ERAS token so that I can get LoR's early so it will roll over to my next cycle (per ECFMG). However, the letter I will receive will have ERAS 2018 & date, so by the time I apply, I am afraid I will have a relatively "old" LoR which can be considered rather WEAK letter. I am wondering if benefit by getting letter early will outweigh old date the letter will get, or it would be otherwise. Only thing is, my letter will be from early 2018, which will be about one year old by time I apply, so it would not be "too" old, but still 2018 cycle mark on LoR will be written there...

Members don't see this ad.

So you are gathering letters now for applicantions that will go out in 9 months? Do yourself a favor and ask for the letters in the summer, it’ll be suspicious to use year-old letters.

Why don't you ask your LOR writer to write your letter now while their experience with you is fresh, and then just upload it when ERAS opens next fall?