USIMG interview/rejection thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
veetz said:
Been kinda slow lately, eh?? I'm bored with ERAS :)

Yup. I gotta reiterate the fact that I think most programs have filled interview slots, and are waiting for cancellations. The fact that many USMD's on this forum have got all of their responses may be a microcosm of whats going on across the country. I hope I get at least a few more b/c I want to at least have a fighting chance of matching, and not having to scramble.

Members don't see this ad.

lvspro said:
Yup. I gotta reiterate the fact that I think most programs have filled interview slots, and are waiting for cancellations. The fact that many USMD's on this forum have got all of their responses may be a microcosm of whats going on across the country. I hope I get at least a few more b/c I want to at least have a fighting chance of matching, and not having to scramble.

Yep, definitely agree with ya lvspro...and I'm sure you're gonna match somewhere :)

Got waitlisted or put on hold at UK-Wichita, as they have filled all their spots

veetz said:
Yep, definitely agree with ya lvspro...and I'm sure you're gonna match somewhere :)

Got waitlisted or put on hold at UK-Wichita, as they have filled all their spots

Thanks veetz :thumbup:
I have my fingers crossed 4 u 2. G/L c interviews man.

Members don't see this ad :)
lvspro said:
Thanks veetz :thumbup:
I have my fingers crossed 4 u 2. G/L c interviews man.

Got my rejections from Wake Forest and UVA today. I am definitely getting bored with ERAS. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that these US grads who are holding on to spots start cancelling! Good luck.

driverabu said:
Got my rejections from Wake Forest and UVA today. I am definitely getting bored with ERAS. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that these US grads who are holding on to spots start cancelling! Good luck.

I've been watching the USMD interview/rejexn thread. It looks like now is the time people are starting to really cancel interviews, so maybe over the next week or 2, we'll see some good activity. Some people are scheduling about 15-20 interviews, and cancelling 5-10, so hopefully we can snatch up a few of those.
Is anyone here cancelling any interviews? I seriously doubt anyone will, but I'm just curious.

lvspro said:
I've been watching the USMD interview/rejexn thread. It looks like now is the time people are starting to really cancel interviews, so maybe over the next week or 2, we'll see some good activity. Some people are scheduling about 15-20 interviews, and cancelling 5-10, so hopefully we can snatch up a few of those.
Is anyone here cancelling any interviews? I seriously doubt anyone will, but I'm just curious.

Not I. I have 13 gas interviews so far....14 if you were to count Buffalo, but I seriously doubt they will consider offering anymore interview dates. 5 prelim meds. I am up to about 20 rejections and have yet to hear from about 50 gas programs

driverabu said:
Not I. I have 13 gas interviews so far....14 if you were to count Buffalo, but I seriously doubt they will consider offering anymore interview dates. 5 prelim meds. I am up to about 20 rejections and have yet to hear from about 50 gas programs

I thought so. Dude, I thought I was pretty competitive, excluding my USIMG status, but apparently pedigree counts for more than merit. All I have is 8 anes interviews for the 94 programs I applied to :confused: .

btw, how did u like buffalo? I was pleasantly surprised by the program, but also realize that we were being "sold" on the program. I'm about to follow in monitors footsteps, and e-mail some of the programs that rejected me... although I might be a little more tactful than he was. :D

one more thing... GO PISTONS :)

lvspro said:
I thought so. Dude, I thought I was pretty competitive, excluding my USIMG status, but apparently pedigree counts for more than merit. All I have is 8 anes interviews for the 94 programs I applied to :confused: .

btw, how did u like buffalo? I was pleasantly surprised by the program, but also realize that we were being "sold" on the program. I'm about to follow in monitors footsteps, and e-mail some of the programs that rejected me... although I might be a little more tactful than he was. :D

one more thing... GO PISTONS :)

Yeah, I tried what monitor did, a lot more tactfully though and haven't heard anything back! I was saying that Buffalo offered me an interview but I couldn't attend the three time slots they offered because of other interviews that I had already bought plane tickets for. I e-mailed them back telling them that I would really like to attend the interview, but they haven't e-mailed me back. I am about to start calling programs that I would really like to interview at and try to sell myself a little.

Oh yeah.....who has the trophy baby!! ;) GO SPURS GO!!!

veetz said:
C'on guys...It's Thanksgiving!!

GO DALLAS COWBOYS!

:)

Yeah, I hope the cowboys keep it up and kick some arse during the playoffs! I hope everybody has a happy thanksgiving....eat it up!!

After saying that I was getting bored of ERAS, I got another interview at U of Washington today via email. There is still hope!!

driverabu said:
Yeah, I hope the cowboys keep it up and kick some arse during the playoffs! I hope everybody has a happy thanksgiving....eat it up!!

After saying that I was getting bored of ERAS, I got another interview at U of Washington today via email. There is still hope!!

Congrats buddy!!!!!!! That's a popular program...nice work!!!

Happy Thanksgiving

Rejected by MGH today (Fri 11/25)...and I had thought I wouldn't be hearing anything over the long Thanksgiving weekend...

cric1 said:
Rejected by MGH today (Fri 11/25)...and I had thought I wouldn't be hearing anything over the long Thanksgiving weekend...

Same here, this was definitely a program that I knew would reject me, just thought I would apply to humor myself....Once they see IMG, they run and hide as if we were the plague. Oh well, happy holidays!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I was wondering if you guys were ECFMG-certified when you applied? I am still waiting for it, and was wondering if that's the reason why I only have three invites out of 59. Applied on 09/07 with just my step 1 score. No prelim year invites yet. Are the prelim medicine programs inviting much later? Or maybe I have missed the boat...

Circ,

I'm not ECFMG certified. When I applied in Sept, I only had Step 1 score. Most of my invites for interviews have been with only my Step 1 score. My Step 2 scores are in now and have been downloaded by the programs, but most of the programs I've talked to say they're not in my 'file' yet, which sucks.

Thanks, Veetz. That helps me feel a tiny bit better, though I am uite worried, with only three invites.

I cancelled UTHouston, Loyola and South Florida today. I hope that helps somebody.

vecuronium said:
I cancelled UTHouston, Loyola and South Florida today. I hope that helps somebody.

Thanks for that kind gesture, I'm sure it'll help somebody. I got U of Kentucky today

Hey guys, thanks for the support. Rejected by U Conn today, but got BID! Finally, a ray of hope again...

cric1 said:
Hey guys, thanks for the support. Rejected by U Conn today, but got BID! Finally, a ray of hope again...

Congrats buddy, keep the faith! I also got rejected from U Conn today. It's funny because I have been waiting to hear from them so that I could either keep or cancel my prelim med interview there. I got tired of waiting and also had to schedule some other anesthesia interviews during the time of my prelim interview and the day after I cancelled the prelim, I got the rejection from the gas dept. Coincidence or not? Oh well, I have my UAMS interview tomorrow, just drove into Little Rock today

Just got that one today as well

Hey Driver, thanks for the words of encouragement. Got B&W yesterday (12/01) and heard from Johns Hopkins today....on some kind of waiting list, though I'm not holding my breath for an interview slot to open up.

Received invite via email yesterday

veetz said:
Congrats man! You're kickin...

Thanks man, how have the interviews been going? I am personally tired of all this traveling and am looking forward to a nice little xmas/new year's break Don't get me wrong, I am more than happy to have been fortunate enough to get a good amount of invites, but it is exhausting nevertheless. Have you gone to Henry ford yet? I'll be there on sat. Good luck buddy!

lvspro said:
Penn state :thumbup:

lotsa others :thumbdown:

Congratulations on Penn State!! I have also been receiving a lot of rejections along with a few invites here and there. Happy trails!

driverabu said:
Congratulations on Penn State!! I have also been receiving a lot of rejections along with a few invites here and there. Happy trails!

Thanks dabu :D
I think the cancelled interviews are trickling down. I was looking at the "I'm not...." and found that at least 4 people cancelled. Thanks for the well wishes, and GL with your interviews too.

Hey guys, I am kinda worried about my prelim year...I applied to about 15 prelim med and transitional year prog in Cali and NYC...and I have not had any invites yet. Just lots of rejections. (I know, I know...if I had known things would have been so bad for IMG's, I would've applied a bit more wisely) What do I do now?

cric1 said:
Hey guys, I am kinda worried about my prelim year...I applied to about 15 prelim med and transitional year prog in Cali and NYC...and I have not had any invites yet. Just lots of rejections. (I know, I know...if I had known things would have been so bad for IMG's, I would've applied a bit more wisely) What do I do now?

1. Rank categoricals highest.
2. Make sure you're ECFMG certified b4 the scramble. This effectively removes the only technical barrier to scrambling for img's.

I/m not sure if there are any programs that are still open for applications, but you could go thru the frieda site and look for yourself.

G/l cric. It's a lousy situation to be in, but I think you can pull it out.

I'll sign my contract on the 29th and start my CA1 on March 27th! Thanks for all the help guys!

NewGuyBob said:
I'll sign my contract on the 29th and start my CA1 on March 27th! Thanks for all the help guys!

Yippee, one of us has some good news. Congrats man.
Hey NGB, can you tell us where you prematched, or at least the region?

Congratulations NGB, I wish you the best of luck and I can't wait to be in your shoes!! Knock em' on their asses!!

Ok, I've had to apply to 29 more prelim med prog...it's been a mission trying to find ones that sponsor visas. My interviews are all at advanced programs, and I don't want the situation where I match into an advanced prog then have to scramble into Internship in some godforsaken place...I'll have enough on my plate relocating to the US next year. Any idea if PD's at advanced prog can 'make a plan' for you to do an internship at their institution? Thanks guys, and happy holidays!!