USIMG and Orthopaedics & Other Q's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I will be applying to medical schools in Ireland next year (I'm originally from the US). I was wondering if you know of any residents who graduated abroad (specifically from Ireland if possible.) What would be typical stats to see of US IMG matching into orthopaedics?

Also, a general residency question: Do hospitals of state universities give preference to people from that state for residencies (as it is in college and medical school?)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
I will be applying to medical schools in Ireland next year (I'm originally from the US). I was wondering if you know of any residents who graduated abroad (specifically from Ireland if possible.) What would be typical stats to see of US IMG matching into orthopaedics?

Also, a general residency question: Do hospitals of state universities give preference to people from that state for residencies (as it is in college and medical school?)

Why?

If you're from the US why are you applying in Ireland? That's doing yourself a huge disservice if you want to do ortho residency in the US.

I'd imagine you need rockstar grades, and step one score, reseach, and an awesome performance on your away rotations. Even then it would be a tossup.