This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrLefty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at USF as a potential residency location for PM&R, I'd like to do an away rotation there to try and up my chances, but I can't seem to find out if/which rotation is the best one for that. I found
MEL 8359 - Intro to Physical Med & Rehab, Neurology on VSAS says that it's predominantly an "observership" at the VA, so I'm not sure if that would even get me in the office of the PD to introduce myself.

Does anyone have any experience with USF or this rotation and is able to point me in the right direction?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about USF. This is the course description from their website: Medical Students | USF Health

MEL 8359: Intro to Physical Med and Rehabilitation
This elective will provide the medical student with a broad and comprehensive educational experience in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. There will be instruction in the evaluation and rehabilitation of a wide range of medical disability conditions including musculoskeletal problems, head injuries, spinal cord injuries, strokes, amputees, chronic pain, geriatrics, and cardiac rehabilitation. In addition, students will be exposed to physical, occupational, speech, audiology, vocational, recreational, and kinesiological therapies. There will be instruction in functional assessments of all types of physical disabilities and in the diagnostic use of electromyography for muscle and neurological disorders. These patients will then be reviewed in detail by the attending physician and appropriate examination techniques, diagnostic problem-solving methods and treatment plans will be discussed with the student. The student will also participate in weekly PM&R lectures. Overall, the educational experience will offer a practical approach to those patients with disabilities. This will benefit all medical students regardless of their primary area of interest.

Evaluation
Evaluation will be based on attendance and demonstration that the educational objectives have been met. An honors grade requires the student to do a case presentation at a weekly conference.

Objectives:

• Enable the student to become skilled in functional evaluation and anatomic correlation of pain and motion problems.
  • Gain experience in the care of rehabilitation problems.
  • Gain insight into the diagnosis of acute pain problems.
  • Recognize a conservative treatment model for acute pain problems.
  • To acquire experience in the management of patients with traumatic brain injury.
  • To understand the role of the rehabilitation team in the management of patients with TBI.
  • To gain experience in the neurologic examination of patients with motor and cognitive deficits.
  • To acquire experience in the management of patients with Spinal Cord Injury.
  • To understand the role of the rehabilitation team in the management of SCI.
  • To gain experience with the neurologic examination of patients with SCI.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did this rotation during my 4th year - if you’re trying to match there, this is the one you want to do.

I did this rotation during my 4th year - if you’re trying to match there, this is the one you want to do.
They just opened up applications so I am submitting one today. On their page they have a specific note saying that it does not guarantee an interview if all application requirements aren't met. Did they have that disclaimer when you did the rotation as well?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what was the rotation like? What did you think of the program?
Thanks.