This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiffughknee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I completed the Interdisciplinary Medical Sciences program at USF! (different from MSMS program). There are plenty of things I wish I had known prior to choosing this program. Feel free to AMA!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I completed the Interdisciplinary Medical Sciences program at USF! (different from MSMS program). There are plenty of things I wish I had known prior to choosing this program. Feel free to AMA!

Hi tiffughknee. I am considering both the MSMS (Pre-professional track) and IMS programs.
1) How would you compare the two? The USF website states that IMS students take courses with MS1 students. That sounds kind if intimidating. The IMS sounds like a true SMP though. The MSMS sounds more like a mock of a MS1 curriculum ("medical school lite").

2) Has anyone that you know from the IMS- matriculated to USF or any FL medical schools (MD or DO)? Does the IMS have a formal linkage agreement with any medical schools.

3) The IMS seems to be geared towards URM students. Any idea why?

4) Can you tell me which program you recommend more? IMS or MSMS?

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user

What things did you wish you had known before choosing this IMS program at USF? I would greatly appreciate your response, since I am debating on whether or not to do this program, and your response will probably answer my questions.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Members don't see this ad :)
What things did you wish you had known before choosing this IMS program at USF? I would greatly appreciate your response, since I am debating on whether or not to do this program, and your response will probably answer my questions.

Thanks in advance for your time!
hey! I'm going to PM you
*Edit: i tried to message you and can't; please feel free to send me a message

Last edited:
Hi tiffughknee. I am considering both the MSMS (Pre-professional track) and IMS programs.
1) How would you compare the two? The USF website states that IMS students take courses with MS1 students. That sounds kind if intimidating. The IMS sounds like a true SMP though. The MSMS sounds more like a mock of a MS1 curriculum ("medical school lite").

2) Has anyone that you know from the IMS- matriculated to USF or any FL medical schools (MD or DO)? Does the IMS have a formal linkage agreement with any medical schools.

3) The IMS seems to be geared towards URM students. Any idea why?

4) Can you tell me which program you recommend more? IMS or MSMS?

Thank you!
Hey! PM me for more info, but to answer these:
1. your interpretation is absolutely correct! IMS takes all classes with MS1 which is a great opportunity, but doesn't do much to boost your GPA (if that is what you need to do)
2. no one has gotten into USF, and 1 person from my class was able to matriculate during our year. There is a Memorandum of Understanding with ACOM for an interview if you have at least a 3.3 GPA (in any USF MCOM grad program) and 502+ MCAT. 1 other person from my program has been accepted so far into a(n osteopathic) medical school.
3. This is true. They pull their students from the medical school application pool who appear underrepresented for some reason or another, or who have faced significant challenges for getting into medical school. I am not precisely sure WHY this group, apart from truly wanting to help this group of students get into medical school (although not USF's medical school. completing the program does not make you more favorable to admissions unless you have a 512+ MCAT)
4. It depends upon what you are looking for in the end, because IMS is taken completely through the med school and very challenging but also great for preparation. But, MSMS still covers much of the same information, on a curve, and is more likely to boost your GPA if that is a major deficit in your application. I also believe it better prepares you for retaking the MCAT because of the classes you take

Hey friends! Just got accepted conditionally (I know I gotta get my transcripts in ASAP) I just wanted to know if anyone knows where exactly we will be taking our courses? Should we live in DT Tampa since the medical school will be moving there? Or Should we stay by the USF campus?

Also can I apply to both the IMS and MSP3 programs? I really don't understand why we would do the first year of medical school if it does not guarantee admission anywhere

Hey friends! Just got accepted conditionally (I know I gotta get my transcripts in ASAP) I just wanted to know if anyone knows where exactly we will be taking our courses? Should we live in DT Tampa since the medical school will be moving there? Or Should we stay by the USF campus?
Hi Sigmund, how long did it take to hear back? Also have you gotten into medschool/PA school or other yet?