Technology Usefull addition, or gimmick?... MDF Stethocopes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luvshok

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been browsing for a stethoscope to purchase for medical school and came across some of the offerings by MDF Instruments. Their top of the line model come with 6 separate attachments 3 Diaphragm and 3 Bell to accommodate adult, pediatric, and infants. Is this more of just a gimmick or is something like this useful in school and later on into residency and beyond?

Here is a Link to the stethoscope.
http://mdfinstruments.com/index.php...d-infant-neonatal-convertible-chestpiece.html

The same concept is also used on another model that they offer.
http://mdfinstruments.com/index.php...d-infant-neonatal-convertible-chestpiece.html

So like the name of the thread says, useful addition or gimmick?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow surprised no one has responded. My PI uses an MDF, and it's pretty good. The detachable pieces seem like a gimmick to me. Honestly you'll be busy seeing so many patients a day (at least you better hope so for the sake of your career) that you won't have time to interchange pieces between patients.

Also, unless you go and stay in Internal Med, Family Med, or EM you likely will only be seeing a specific cohort of patients that are a certain age, and won't even need to change pieces. I'm just as excited about picking a steth out, but lets be honest, albeit it important, when you're a fully practicing doc you won't be paying much attention to it, you'll just be using it.

I had an MDF that I regret purchasing. The ear pieces did not sit well in my ears. Moreover, the tubing is not as flexible as that of a Littmann Classic II S.E. which is what I use now. It fits in my ears a lot better, and much more flexible hence easier to use. I don't think you need the Littman Master Cardio.

Also, I completely agree with CardiacLion. M3 will keep you so busy and changing stethoscope attachments will not be the most practical thing to do on rounds or on the wards. Ask M4s how well they can do physical exams and most of them will agree that they won't be able to pickup most subtle and even some major findings. It is a lost art and it is not because your seniors did not try or were not enthusiastic. The medical education system had made many advances but teaching physical exam skills on a consistent basis during the clinical years (as you will find out) with actual patients is becoming non-existent.

Last edited: