Useful electives for apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JKP

Black Cloud
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about taking a derm elective. Is this something considered important for plastics apps?

Members don't see this ad.

JKP said:
I'm thinking about taking a derm elective. Is this something considered important for plastics apps?

Nope. Why would it?

Our school offers a printout of useful electives for people going into certain fields. Derm is most definitely in this category for plastics. Plastics does a fair amount of flaps and reconstructions after skin cancers and other such skin lesions. Overall exposure to skin lesions is good, but it's even better if you can spend some time with the Mohs surgeons during your time on Derm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps I misunderstood the OP's question, but I thought this person was asking if a derm elective is helpful for plastics apps from a strategic standpoint. I don't think doing a derm elective for the sake of helping your application is worthwhile. It'd be very interesting and relevant, nevertheless.

You're probably right that no one is going to check out your grade on a derm elective to see if you deserve a plastics spot. My point was that it might be nice from an exposure standpoint. In my case when scheduling, it seemed a bit more relevant than peds cards. :D

Overall i think it would be a good experience and relevant but i seriously doubt much consideration is given to weighing the worthiness of a students schedule when choosing an applicant, it just doesnt make any sense.

I'm applying for general surg and taking derm just for interest. Haven't ruled out applying for plastics down the road. I was thinking about a plastics elective, but I'm already taking two gen surgery electives and wanted to take electives in other fields to broaden my education.

Pear8DeacDoc,
Would you happen to have a link to your school's website for the stuff you mentioned above? Just curious to have a look.
Thanks in advance!!!

Hope that this works for you... It's nothing set in stone but seems fairly useful.

Electives