Use Second look to confirm gut feel?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D2D

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I can only afford to go to one second look and have boiled down to focus only on two schools. Both are top 20 reputation wise, one is in NYC and the other in the South. At this time, I slightly favor the one in the South because of the much lesser total CoA (very generous aid) although I haven't heard final numbers from the other school yet (In the end I think they won't be too far off). In every other category, I found both schools equally appealing (location, curriculum, hospital, patient pop, current student body etc.). At this time, I have no idea what I want to specialize in and don't really have a future preference for geographic location for residency and beyond ( I hear neither school will prove to be a problem here). I can live happily anywhere and my interest is in trauma surgery and global medicine (which I have know may change after I start).
I know I am incredibly fortunate in having to make this decision, but my wallet cries regardless. I don't really have a support system or advisor to guide me in this matter. Should I just toss a coin and call it a day and save the coin? What major factor am I not looking into?

Edit: Now that I typed and submitted the post, I feel like this is a pointless question and the coin toss is probably the way to go... for whatever it is worth, the choice is between the Commodores and the Lions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Assuming money is the same, I would personally choose Columbia over Vanderbilt

Reactions: 1 user
Flip a coin. During the brief moment you're waiting for it to land, if you feel a yearning for it to land a particular way, that's the school you should pick.

Reactions: 2 users
Just assumed cause Columbia lions and Vanderbilt Commodores haha
Could be NYU, Cornell or Sinai ;) You can't rule out Emory/Duke/Baylor/UTSW either. I personally would choose an NYC school. What a great position to be in. Congrats on a very successful app cycle!

Reactions: 2 users