USC vs UCSF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

julesc76

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, i've been checking out this forum for the past 3 months but never posted. first of all, i wanted to say a big THANKS since everyone was really helpful. it made me feel waaaay less nervous for my interviews :D

secondly, i'm personally having a hard time deciding btwn USC and UCSF. i went to the USC welcoming night yesterday, and they were very convincing. i guess my main concerns right now are:

1) how much will the tuition at UCSF go up? and will it continue going up each yr?

2) is it hard to get a summer internships or post-grad job in the LA/OC area if you go to UCSF?

it seems as if USC has a power network down here in LA and it's hard for the up north schools to get job opportunities down here. some of my 1st yr friends at UCSF are having a hard time getting LA/OC summer internships and might have to go for an unpaid one in LA or stay up north for the summer.

personally, i want to be able to get paid summer internships down in the LA/OC area since my family lives nearby. are there any 3rd/4th yrs that can help me out? :confused:

i would like to hear anyone else's general opinions or comments too. thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you choose ucsf, which would be a huge mistake ;), you can still secure a summer position in LA if you start early enough. My advice would be to start talking to prospective pharmacies before you leave for school in sf, so you can continue rapping w/them thru the year and then you'd wanna start applying winter break of your first year for those positions. It's a lot easier at SC bc the chains have all day interviews on campus, but there's always a way. Find out who the District managers are for areas you're interested in and start talking to them now!!! You'll have to do a little more legwork, but it's certainly do-able. Good luck!!

Oh yeah, and I cover at several diff't walgreens that have had ucsf summer interns, so it's definitely out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi, can you post what went on for the welcome night yesterday? i wasn't able to attend b/c i go to school in norcal. thanks!

Originally posted by dunamis22
hi, can you post what went on for the welcome night yesterday? i wasn't able to attend b/c i go to school in norcal. thanks!

hi dunamis22, i came pretty late so i missed the first 1hr or so. but supposedly they talked about the different dual programs and financial aid and all that stuff. then i think they put the students into smaller groups to talk and get to know each other. and then they fed us =), which is when i came in. and we could ask the faculty and current students questions about the school. most of the faculty and students were really nice and very gung-ho about usc.

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I attended the Welcome Night at USC. :D They discussed general information including the reputation of USC, student life, the dual degree programs, organizations . . . all of this information is available on their website . . . so I wouldn't worry about missing it. :scared: Basically, it was a great chance to meet the faculty, staff, and fellow students . . . everyone was really nice :) . . . I am looking forward to starting in the Fall :clap: !! I look forward to seeing all of you there! :p

The dean, assistant dean, associate deans, Level 1, 2, 3, 4 presidents, student body president, and alumni association president were all there to speak about the program, student life, career opportunites and the reputation of USC. Then there was a break out session with current students, while parents and guests discussed career opportunities in pharmacy with the alumni association president and alumni. Afterward, there was a reception with really good food. There was even a class of 2008 cake! I believe there is another welcoming reception in July so if you are interested in going then, just email usc.

hey bmbiology and triangulation! just wanted to say thanks for being so helpful :) . i'm still in the works of deciding, but i appreciate all the info you guys have posted (and other several other forums too). :D