USC vs UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n3opologist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know we all hate this type of thread, but if I get one useful comment, it'll be worth it.

I have a $25k/year scholarship to USC, which makes it slightly cheaper, so cost is NOT an issue here.

Personal issues to consider: my SO goes to law school in LA, and we've been living together for 2 years now. I have a dozen other family members in LA.

My main concern is...will going to USC over UCSD limit me in applying for residency because of the rank difference (36 vs 14)?

Members don't see this ad.

I know we all hate this type of thread, but if I get one useful comment, it'll be worth it.

I have a $25k/year scholarship to USC, which makes it slightly cheaper, so cost is NOT an issue here.

Personal issues to consider: my SO goes to law school in LA, and we've been living together for 2 years now. I have a dozen other family members in LA.

My main concern is...will going to USC over UCSD limit me in applying for residency because of the rank difference (36 vs 14)?

No it will not. Both schools have reputable programs.

congrats

Trojans FTW! Much better school atmosphere, pride and its in LA !! Besides, ranking does not matter until your school is in the top 40 for the NIH grants. Congratulations on your acceptances though and GO USC!! :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)

I wound say you have significant reasons to stay in LA and while SD is close, is that really worth it?

USC is a great school and you will have no problems with residency. Where do you want to end up? Because if it's in LA USC does VERY well in residencies in the area...there are thousands of USC alums in the LA area.

Trojans FTW! Much better school atmosphere, pride and its in LA !! Besides, ranking does not matter until your school is in the top 40 for the NIH grants. Congratulations on your acceptances though and GO USC!! :smuggrin:

What does that mean? In any case, UCSD is def in the top 40 in NIH grants. I agree with the people that say go to USC though if cost isn't an issue!

What does that mean? In any case, UCSD is def in the top 40 in NIH grants. I agree with the people that say go to USC though if cost isn't an issue!

It means that in the NRMP Residency Match data, they separate out Top 40 schools (through NIH Funding) from all other US medical schools in making comparisons about how competitive an applicant is.

As for USC vs. UCSD, I would take UCSD because La Jolla far surpasses LA in terms of locale/environment (I hate everything about LA), but if you have family/SO in LA and USC is cheaper, USC makes sense, there's definitely no ranking/residency issues

As for USC vs. UCSD, I would take UCSD because La Jolla far surpasses LA in terms of locale/environment (I hate everything about LA), but if you have family/SO in LA and USC is cheaper, USC makes sense, there's definitely no ranking/residency issues

LA is definitely one of those places that if you are familiar with it, know people there and/or have lived there, you like it a lot more.

:slap: Have you no Bruin pride, man?:mad::mad::mad:

But all joking aside, I think it would be better for you in the long run to go to USC. It is cheaper, you will be closer to your SO, and USC is strong enough a program that you will get a good residency. Have you seen their match list? It is rather phenomenal if I do say so myself. Congrats and good luck Traitor:smuggrin:

You know what, you would have been an awesome addition to the incoming UCSD class, but I always tell people to not forget what makes them happy. Even though LA-SD isn't a huge distance, I am sure it'll be great to be able to keep living with your gf if you wish. I love UCSD, but I don't think going to USC will hurt you as far as residencies, so do what you think will make your day to day life better. Congrats on the money =]

I understand your situation. People look at me as though I am crazy when I tell them I am choosing USC over UCSF. However, I have a very similar situation with my significant other and know that my support system here makes it worth staying. Four years is a long time to not consider your own happiness in the equation.

Also, remember that how you match is largely a product of YOU only and not just about your institution. I am a firm believer that people make their own opportunities.

Hope to see you at SC.

Similar situation here--got the scholarship to USC a couple days ago and am deciding between UCSD and USC, all my family is in LA.

I'm leaning heavily towards UCSD because I can't justify not going to an almost top-10 school because of such a small difference in money. From what I gather from people who graduated from UCSD, the 22 spots in rankings does make a difference. When you interview for residency, UCSD's significantly higher ranking brings more prestige... schools are ranked for a reason.

But for me, the family factor doesn't seem so big since its only a 1.5-2 hour drive, so I could be back all the time if I want to. For me, that's for sure worth the potential advantage I could get from attending a more prestigous school. But it all boils down to what compromise you are willing to accept.

(But I didn't visit UCSD's second look. I'll be visiting soon, and presuming I like the school, I'm for sure going to UCSD). Good luck!

I'm leaning heavily towards UCSD because I can't justify not going to an almost top-10 school because of such a small difference in money. From what I gather from people who graduated from UCSD, the 22 spots in rankings does make a difference. When you interview for residency, UCSD's significantly higher ranking brings more prestige... schools are ranked for a reason.

I don't think this is true, but obviously people who graduated from UCSD will have this impression. :rolleyes: The above comment only carries water if you talk to people at the other school too.

They are both great schools, with stronger reputations in-state than out of state. UCSD is well respected in CA, but outside of CA it's still the #4 California school (which is totally unfair, since what other state has more than even 2 schools in the top 20?) And USC also does a really great job at placing their students in CA residencies. So I think the reputation factor is not significant, since they both do awesome in Cali and are thought of as in the magical top 40 elsewhere.

USC is in a big city, but no med students live right there so it's more of a commuter campus. For the first two years of UCSD, you are in a more suburban area but it's less commuterish so you'd be more likely to live near friends. <----- I would think this kind of difference has as much of an impact if not more than the rank issue.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I accepted the scholarship and will be attending Keck. Living with my girlfriend and being able to have dinner on a whim with family any night of the week is priceless, especially when I consider some of my relatives won't be around for all that much longer. The match list at Keck for the past 3 three years is at least proof that it is possible to get a residency wherever you want in whatever you want.

I would have loved UCSD, but for whatever reason, the USC HSC just feels right. P/F only will be a blessing (I know honors isn't that big of a deal, but I'm the type of person who would stress himself out to get them). The 10 weeks off for the boards with a free board prep class is also pretty cool, not to mention the undeniable king of teaching hospitals, LAC! The school spirit at Keck is really great too! The Bruin-Trojan transfer will take some time, and I'll always root blue and gold, but being at a school with so much pride is really fun, even if it is medical school. And on top of it all, the fruta stands are great! Nothing beats mango with chili-lime sause.

Congrats on your decision. USC is a great school and staying by your SO will definitely make this decision even more worth it.

Homie, if money is no issues, take USC. Isnt it P/F also?

Status
Not open for further replies.