USC vs. Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted988177

Hey guys, please help me decide whether USC or Columbia. I'm now studying in up-state New York, where have snow storms every year.

I want to go to USC because of the warm weather and plenty of fun things to do. And the patient pool is big there. Obviously, the tuition is VERY expensive. My family is very supportive and tell me not to worry about whichever school I choose. But I hope to be independent and not to create too much burden for them. I love the PBL during the interview day, but I've also heard someone said PBL doesn't teach much things compared with traditional lectures.

However, almost everyone includes my parents and my best friend told me to go Columbia because of its IVY League name and the high specialization rate.(not sure whether to specialize til now) I know Columbia is definitely more well-known and have high quality. But I'm sick of the cold weather in Eastern area and don't like the location of CDM (168 street is not that safe)

So anyone who's currently enrolled in USC or Columbia can give me more information about these two schools? (pros/cons, curriculum, PBL, taking class with Med)Thanks very much !!!

Quote Reply
Report Edit

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, please help me decide whether USC or Columbia. I'm now studying in up-state New York, where have snow storms every year.

I want to go to USC because of the warm weather and plenty of fun things to do. And the patient pool is big there. Obviously, the tuition is VERY expensive. My family is very supportive and tell me not to worry about whichever school I choose. But I hope to be independent and not to create too much burden for them. I love the PBL during the interview day, but I've also heard someone said PBL doesn't teach much things compared with traditional lectures.

However, almost everyone includes my parents and my best friend told me to go Columbia because of its IVY League name and the high specialization rate.(not sure whether to specialize til now) I know Columbia is definitely more well-known and have high quality. But I'm sick of the cold weather in Eastern area and don't like the location of CDM (168 street is not that safe)

So anyone who's currently enrolled in USC or Columbia can give me more information about these two schools? (pros/cons, curriculum, PBL, taking class with Med)Thanks very much !!!

Quote Reply
Report Edit
cheapest

Hi Cindy!

First off, congratulations on your acceptances!!

I'm currently a D1 at Columbia, so I may not have as much experience as some of the other people who may reply at some point, but I'll give you my 2 cents on how it's been so far.

I really love it here so far. Block scheduling for exams (only first year I believe) has been a great way to ease in incoming students; we basically have lecture for 4-5 weeks and then have a week of exams for all our classes; this scheduling is pretty nice, it gives us plenty of time to study and get prepared for exams. Exams are P/F, which is great because I find myself actually collaborating and sharing resources with my classmates as opposed to feeling "competition" between us. P/F doesn't mean exams are easy though, you still need to study hard (upperclassmen are fantastic resources for study materials). For when you want to take a break, you're a 20-30 minute subway ride from literally anything. Our class is pretty tight knit even after just one semester, and we do a lot of fun things together (parties, concerts, friendsgiving, etc.)!

Columbia also plans a lot of interprofessional events where you have opportunities to meet students from the other colleges (Nursing, Public Health, Physical Therapy, etc.). The university is pretty big on "interprofessionalism" as you can tell from the combined med/dental biomedical classes for the first year and a half. Even though we take classes with the med students, we're not necessarily studying with them or going out with them; a natural segregation happens. But if you make an effort and sit next to someone new every day, you will definitely meet some med students, they're great Our respective student councils also work closely with one another to try and plan events for both CDM and VP&S to promote camaraderie between our classes.

As for safety, I live by myself a couple blocks from campus, and I have never really felt unsafe (as have the classmates I've spoken to regarding this issue). I was also super worried about that going in, but with common sense (aka not walking home alone at 3 AM), you should be all good. Sometimes, life happens and you stay in preclinic a bit too late practicing your drilling, OR it's pouring rain and you forgot your umbrella...what do you do? You can actually call Columbia public safety and they will drive you anywhere within a 15ish-block radius or so.

Some other pros: free gym, world renowned professors and guest lecturers (literally, one of the inventors of CRISPR gene editing gave us a lecture), tight knit community/family feel, gorgeous newly renovated facilities, cadaver anatomy lab

Some cons: the campus is sort of far from downtown Manhattan, pressure to specialize even if your heart is truly set on general dentistry, rent is dumb expensive, groceries are dumb expensive, gunners (but they're everywhere, what can ya do)......honestly not too many other major cons off the top of my head

Also, even though there are high specialization rates here, plenty of students (the majority) still pursue general dentistry after graduating. It's natural to feel a bit of pressure to specialize if you attend here, but the majority end up in general. And if you are thinking of testing the waters, Columbia opens so many doors, that's for sure. Yeah, Columbia is an Ivy, but don't let the name be the only reason you want to attend; think about where you will truly be happy for the next four years, taking the following into consideration: location, weather, first impression from the interview, distance from family, financial burden, etc.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps! Sounds cheesy, but follow your heart when making this decision PM me if you have more questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia and it ain't even close.

Your family and friends are right, you'll thank us later.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users

Quote Reply
Report Edit

Also 168 really isn't that bad. You can live in midtown and commute though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN