USC v. UCSF??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rossrug

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it crazy to be thinking about this?
I have personal/creative interests that would keep me in L.A. ( I already live in West Hollywood) I was already set on going to USC, just got accepted off the waitlist at UCSF. How much to rankings/prestige really matter in the future. Am I really going to have more choices/make more money if I go to UCSF.
The cost is somewhat a factor, it's not like UCSF is cheap, med school is expensive no matter where you go.
I posted this in the pre-med forum and someoone suggested I post here. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

rossrug said:
Is it crazy to be thinking about this?
I have personal/creative interests that would keep me in L.A. ( I already live in West Hollywood) I was already set on going to USC, just got accepted off the waitlist at UCSF. How much to rankings/prestige really matter in the future. Am I really going to have more choices/make more money if I go to UCSF.
The cost is somewhat a factor, it's not like UCSF is cheap, med school is expensive no matter where you go.
I posted this in the pre-med forum and someoone suggested I post here. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Isn't USC 35000 tuition alone with a annual school budget of 52000

UCSF might have more expensive housing but not by much more than the LA area where USC is. See Glendale Eagle Rock Pasadena etc.
but UCSF for an California Resident is 21000
thats a 15000 difference, ask how much is the average indebtness.

as far as your career is concerned, UCSF could offer you the most prestige in California almost like the level of Stanford. but i think most USC grads may disagree. look at the match list, and if the graduates have matches similiar to your career goals than take it.

In all honesty, I would suggest that you go where you love. I've no idea whether you'll get more money/more choices/more anything if you choose one school over the other. I don't know what you intend to do with your MD. If one school seemed to fit you better when you interviewed, I would tend to say go there. Don't let people tell you that you are crazy if you go to the school you like best. I'm not going to the "most prestigious" school I was accepted to; I am going to the one I absolutely adored and whose philosophy of medicine and life matched mine. I'm sure I will do well, and I'm even more sure that I will be happy.

Of course, if you like both schools equally, you could always flip a coin. ;) But I've got a sneaking suspicion that you've got a preference for one of the schools you've been accepted to, and I truly think you should go with the one you like best.

Members don't see this ad :)
USC tuition went up nearly $5k this year. That may be of interest to you.

are you kidding? why is this an issue? UCSF is tops prestige-wise, USC ISN'T. Aside from the fact that tuition is less (assuming you're in-state), UCSF will open MANY more doors than USC. It's MORE prestigious than Stanford, and is generally considered on-par with JHU and HMS. best of luck.

Being from SoCal, and Loving soCal, i would hands down choose UCSF. IT is considered an AMAZING school, I have heard the students are pretty chill, and CHEAPER TUITION = LESS DEBT. I don't even see how these schools compare. SF is cool, you can have a car but also walk everywhere, and teh school is in a nice location.

Although I am hoping to get into USC off the waitlist (it would save me from having to move to Hershey, PA, and also, none of the UC's wanted to interview me), I would choose UCSF if I had the choice. But since I don't and you do, you should choose UCSF both for yourself and to help out the people on the USC waitlist! :) Congrats btw, UCSF is top choice for sooo many people.

Seriously, I don't see how you could turn down the price of UCSF, in addition to how awesome a place it is. Seriously. Unless you hated it when you visited and can't see yourself happy there, I would go there. SF is not very far from LA, quick and cheap lane trip or day car trip, and in med school you will be sooo busy, i don't know how much time you will have to pursue the extra stuff you are involved in that is keeping you in LA.

GL with you decision.....it is a tough one.