USC Tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CareerSwitcheroo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into USC's (University of Southern California) hybrid DPT program but I know tuition is pretty much the same for both of their programs. In any case, it is outrageously high. For anyone who currently attends or has any background on it, is $180k+ worth it to go into this profession under any circumstances? I know it's a very personal decision but with all the options available, why would someone choose USC over a less expensive program? Do they give most students financial aid/scholarships?

Members don't see this ad.

It is a great program, but no, no reason to take on that debt if you have other options.

All accredited schools have the same curriculum. You will not learn either more or less in USC, neither will you gain anything extra from going there. I read a while ago their minimal GPA requirements throughout the program was 2.75 vs 3.0 for most of the schools, but I am not sure if it is still the case. USC is also located in the geto and in the middle of LA traffic jams in all directions.

Members don't see this ad :)
USC is notorious for having families buy their way in. The high tuition is a weird flex and status symbol for rich residents and others within their circle. Like an Ivy League school, it is the networking you are buying into and the connections to other wealthy families and not necessarily the material itself. If it is hybrid and not residential I would not consider it to be worth it due to these reasons.

I'm looking into USC's (University of Southern California) hybrid DPT program but I know tuition is pretty much the same for both of their programs. In any case, it is outrageously high. For anyone who currently attends or has any background on it, is $180k+ worth it to go into this profession under any circumstances? I know it's a very personal decision but with all the options available, why would someone choose USC over a less expensive program? Do they give most students financial aid/scholarships?

Hi there!

I applied to USC's residential program and got in last year! I will tell you that although it has a large price tag, it does provide you a good education from what I have been told. Even though it is a lot of money, USC has great perks such as the high caliber of research, the keck school of medicine right there (especially if you are interested in inpatient PT), great partnerships with clinical sites, a larger PT class (about 100 so more collaboration and networking), and a whole network of DPTs throughout the nation! I absolutely fell in love with all those aspects but decided to not attend USC for financial and family decisions. Also, I was not offered any scholarships or financial aid so I knew the student loans for me would be too much.

My biggest tip of advice would be to find a school that you will be happy with for all the reasons that are important to you!

I hope that helped and feel free to message me if you have any other questions!